Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

solar power for the truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar power for the truck

I asked my electrician about the solar panel I noticed on the rear door of his trailer.

He told me he has it connected to a car battery in the trailer. He then runs the current through an inverter, and uses it to keep his tool batteries charged. He says he can also run lite tools off of the battery.

It got me thinking. I could use something like that to power a warm box to keep my paints and caulks from freezing in the winter. Also to keep my tool batteries charged, or to run a light in the truck.

Has anyone rigged up a setup like this? If so, do you have any tips - how to size a panel and battery, etc. How durable are the solar panels? If I mount a panel on the roof of my box truck, will it get broken by things falling on it, or by road debris?

Re: solar power for the truck

An interesting idea. I would also include grid power capability. The battery will be under load the most in the evening/night hours when the panel will not be functioning. Not an issue if you have enough sun to recharge the battery the next day. The irony is that during the summer months when you do not need the warm box, is when it would work the best.

I would worry more bout road shock than falling derbies, not sure how well the panels take that type of vibration. How well has the electricians panel held up?

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Interesting idea - here's some more info. I'm sure you could also look at the mfg website for some config's.

One Amazon review that caught my eye was keeping deep cycle marine batts charged.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ix=solar+panel

http://www.sunforceproducts.com/index.php
      Back to FAQs
      Q: Should the solar battery trickle charger be disconnected from the vehicle battery before starting the engine?
      A:
      The 5 Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger can remain connected and it will not affect the operation of the vehicle or operation of any of the electrical components. We recommend disconnecting the solar panel when the vehicle is in motion to prevent physical harm caused by the panel moving while the vehicle is in motion.
      Last edited by Happy Home; 11-26-2010, 11:46 AM.
      Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Home View Post
        Interesting idea - here's some more info. I'm sure you could also look at the mfg website for some config's.

One Amazon review that caught my eye was keeping deep cycle marine batts charged.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ix=solar+panel
        To be more accurate, he uses it to keep a deep cycle marine battery charged.

Interestingly enough, he has his panel on the rear door of the trailer. A good location to avoid road debris, but not the best place to get direct rays from the sun. I was surprised at the small size of his panel. It couldn't have been larger than 18"x18". Works fine for him, he says.

Comment

When we are in the remote part of AK - we use pretty small panels and they charge the marine deep cycle batteries as well. Small systems can be really simple and one solar controller we use is the size of a remote control.

You do not need too large of a panel for a small light and charging. I seriously doubt that the battery would need solar input every day; especially if the lighting you ran was 12V and you saved the 110 for charging batteries only.

What might be easier and cheaper is to just put an extra battery in the truck and use that for these secondary tasks. The only charging would come from your trucks alternator be when you drive - I am sure that would work just fine. Easy to set up and a bit cheaper. Would not work if the trailer was left on the job site for weeks at a time however.
          “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
          Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

We use a small solar panel charge the battery for our dump trailer we use for hauling trash up to the landfill in Woodbine. We mounted the solar panel on the tongue attached battery box. I do get a little concerned about durability but it has been mounted there for six or seven years now.

I think you should be able to set something up on your box truck's roof without too much of a problem. I wouldn't be too concerned with road debris.
            -Nate
            Eldon Builders on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eldon-...02809066463063

Comment

One thing you need to be aware of is the off gassing of a battry charging. Make certain there is adaquit ventilation for the battery if it is inside the trailer. I would consider mounting it on the tounge.

Tom
              http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone have a link/source for installing an inverter/solar panel system. I want to be able to charge batteries/power a warming box at night; run a circ saw once in a while, miter saw, maybe table saw. Running tools wouldn't be an all day thing, just for those few cuts when finding a recep at the customers house is a hassle.

Ideally I want to hook up a deep cycle battery to my trucks alternator, hook in a solar battery for all day charging then a 5k watt inverter.

I might not hook it to the trucks power & just leave the solar/inverter system independent. Any suggestions?
                Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

Comment

Jeremy - from my experience charging and cutting require two pretty different sized systems.

Where my wife works she has two systems -

A small independent one for charging batteries and running communications (two batteries and a small converter). Could never run power tools.

A second larger one 6 batteries and proper sized inverter that can run any 110 appliance.

The first one would cost under $300 not including panels and the larger one ran about $3000 not including panels.

Just a thought.

For just charging, I would hook the battery to the alternator and charge that battery when running the truck - like mentioned that is how my dump trailer battery is set up.
                  “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”

Comment

For some of you in the bonnies or on a new job site where power is limited I can understand needing a solar set up. But are you guys afraid to ask to use the customer's power? I have had a few customers wonder how much of their electricity we are going to use when we are on job for a rehab but no one has ever come back and said it cost them an extra $50 in electricity or some amount.

I just go and plug my stuff in and do not really think too much about it. Same would go for a warming box. I get home at night I plug it in if I had one. First time this year it has gotten below freezing here. In the winter I keep a milk crate or two full of anything that is going to freeze and bring it in and out. Not a huge hassle and some weeks it can stay inside the house for all week. Same with that stuff. I sometimes leave it at the jobsite instead of hauling it in and out.

As far as charging batteries and such, again I just plug into the home I am working at and make sure they are ready to go before I pack up.

Comment

Mark - our biggest thing is water...

I have in my contract that customer provides power, water and sewer.

We have high costs of power; but 1/2 the people around town get water delivered to big cisterns. It runs about .17 a gallon these days; but is going to go sky high in the next few years. Some people also have storage tanks for waste water and have to pay to pump out every gallon that goes down the drain - costs more than than the water delivery.

It can add up for some people; but I do just plug in as well; after I check the outlet and that it is wired property - so many weird things done here.

Comment

Working...
                      X