Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Construction Stapler for Ext. Sheathing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Stapler for Ext. Sheathing

Need advice:

Been thinking about moving from using Paslode pneumatic guns to a pneumatic crown stapler for installing exterior 7/16 OSB sheathing. 2 3/8 nails are costing me $105/box and it seems like we go through 6 to 8 on each house (~ 3000 SF, 2-story). I've been told that using pneumatic staplers to fasten sheathing is easier, faster, and cheaper. A couple questions:

1.) What brand staplers are the best? SENCO? HITACHI?
    2.) What size staple crown and how long should the staples be? I've seen 7/16" crown and 1/2" crown... 2" seems to be the longest they come in.
    3.) Is there any structural downside to stapling the OSB that I should be aware of vs. nailing? I've used wall panels before and they always came with staples holding the sheathing on....

Thanks in Advance to anyone who knows a little more about this. Always trying to become more efficient!

SEAN

Re: Construction Stapler for Ext. Sheathing

One of long time forum members posted his for sale a few days ago. http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=53423

I've used the Hitachi and Porter Cable a few times with another guy. They each worked fine, no miss fires or other issues. I'm sure the Senco is just as good or better. The staples are quite a bit cheaper and the nailer holds a lot more than a plastic collated nailer. My brief experience with them is the staples hold up better in a nail pouch and you can put many more.

Comment

Used Senco staplers for years. I love the sound when "properly" used when stapling sheathing, reminds me of the sound of the nose gun on an A-10 warthog. lol

I'd have to get up and look in the tool trailer to see what size the crown was. I f I was allowed to guess, I would say 7/16"

As for staples holding sheathing on, just try to rip the sheathing off after stapling versus nailing and I think that will answer your question.
      It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
      Working Man Online Store
      Living Healthy

Comment

Definitely like the stapler for shingling but not allowed to use it for anything structural here in CA. I've torn off plenty of stuff with the 7/16" in it and it comes off way easier than nailed stuff. The staples generally stay in the framing but the heads rip out of the sheathing.

Comment

Hi, aerieandy.

Code, in your area, allows for stapling shingles?

Code hasn't allowed staples for roofing, here, in a long, long time.

Of course, code doesn't allow more than two layers. Last summer, we had two with four layers. One was a 12 x 12, with the second layer stapled.

Never again.

Don't even mention tear-off, if staples are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by aerieandy View Post
            Definitely like the stapler for shingling but not allowed to use it for anything structural here in CA. I've torn off plenty of stuff with the 7/16" in it and it comes off way easier than nailed stuff. The staples generally stay in the framing but the heads rip out of the sheathing.
            Interesting! You've had to tear off plenty of stuff??? Does that mean you make lots of mistakes? lol I pay my framers for nailing stuff together, not tearing it apart. lol
            It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
            Working Man Online Store
            Living Healthy

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
              One of long time forum members posted his for sale a few days ago. http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=53423
              Thanks for the referral, Hoover!

I've got a Senco construction stapler that I've used for years with no problems whatsoever.

I bought a couple more for a big project last year that fell through at the last minute. I probably should have returned them but ended up keeping them as backups so they're still new in the box.

Times are tough so I'm selling off some excess tooling.
              Joe Adams
              Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
              Houston, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Parkwest
                Interesting! You've had to tear off plenty of stuff??? Does that mean you make lots of mistakes?
                That "stuff" he's tearing off is OSB, we tear lots of that junk off.
                "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Originally posted by Lanya LaPunta View Post
                  Hi, aerieandy.

Code, in your area, allows for stapling shingles?

Code hasn't allowed staples for roofing, here, in a long, long time.

Of course, code doesn't allow more than two layers. Last summer, we had two with four layers. One was a 12 x 12, with the second layer stapled.

Never again.

Don't even mention tear-off, if staples are involved.
                  I think he's talking about cedar siding shingles Lanya.;-)

Can't use staples here for sheathing. Only full round head ring shank. Believe it or not, most of CT is considered hurricane territory/coastal conditions. I do like them for shake/shingle siding when hiding the fasteners.

phil
                  Last edited by philthegreek; 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM.
                  It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the responses so far... Good stuff... Its for exterior sheathing only and roof decking. Not shingles, asphalt or cedar. But that's good to know about using it fasten cedar shake shingle siding.

Here in Huntsville, AL our local code calls for 7/16" OSB for exterior sheathing with Tyvek (or similar) housewrap around it. Havent found anything in the local codes about fasteners.

I, like you, have seen that the staplers hold way more at a time and my framers are pushing me to change to it. The staples are also quite a bit cheaper. If I can get my sheathing attached faster and cheaper, I'll probably at least give it a try. Good to know on the SENCO lasting a long time without issue...

My biggest question is about the vast discrepancy on price of some of those pneumatic staplers. Some are around $135 and some are nearly $500... I guess the $135-$235 one should work, provided the staples are the correct length. Assuming 2" every 4 to 6 inches is adequate since it seems to be the longest 16 gauge staple those guns will hold (and I'm currently using 2 3/8" paslode nails).

Hoover, I might be contacting you about your stapler for sale. I actually looked at that post yesterday when searching to see if there was already a thread posted about these things...

Thanks again. Always a pleasure getting input from y'all.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by CardiffGiant View Post
                      Hoover, I might be contacting you about your stapler for sale. I actually looked at that post yesterday when searching to see if there was already a thread posted about these things...

Thanks again. Always a pleasure getting input from y'all.

Sean
                      Don't contact me, contact Joe. The easiest thing for something like this is to private message him or PM him. Go to this link, the one Joe put up for the stapler and click on his name once. It will drop down a menu and click on the "send a private message" and type away. He has that option available, and we've chatted that way before so I assume he's ok with that way of contacting him. If not he can chew me out.

Depending on your usage, you will pay off the stapler fairly quickly with the savings of staples vs. nails and the time savings on not reloading as often, carrying more in your pouch, etc.

Good luck.

Comment

I have two Senco crown staplers. My advise is to not to buy the cheaper guns they tend to be lighter guns and don't perform as good has the heavier duty ones. I do think staples hold better then nails in sheeting. just try and put a sheet off that has been stapled , you will destroy it. When it comes to roofing I like a nailer better , the nails will hold the shingles better at least in this part of the country.
                        Randy

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten

Comment

Hi, Phil.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

However we're not allowed staples for shake roofs.

Code requires corrosion-resistant nails, such as stainless steel (type 304 or 316), hot-dipped zinc coated, or aluminum nails, even copper is "acceptable". Although, I know of no one that uses copper.

I understand that in dry climates (I have no idea what constitutes a "dry climate"), staples are acceptable.

Northeast Nohio ain't considered "dry"(?).

Comment

Originally posted by philthegreek View Post

Can't use staples here for sheathing. Only full round head ring shank.
                            Same here. Staples not allowed!
                            Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

I would choose Hitachi because I've already tested it. I know there are some types in crown staplers and the only types I know are wide and narrow crown staplers.

Narrow Crown Stapler - Staple # 4
                              Wide Crown Stapler - Staple #6
                              Used Appliances for Sale

Comment

Working...
                              X