Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Silence of the ladder racks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silence of the ladder racks

I just got an old aluminium hauler ladder rack out of the AB. I re-configued it to fit my truck, it is hellishly loud! I've had a few racks, but the noise was not to bad. This is like a loud screeching noice, whistle. I did a search for ladder racks", I skimmed the titles and some articles and didn't see any info reguarding the noise. How do you all quiet your racks? I've seen pipe insulation, flex gas pipe (2") and towels wrapped around the front bar. What part of the rack usually causes the vibration. I'll try and post a picture soon. It's an 8' bed with about 3' over the cab if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    chris

Re: Silence of the ladder racks

Is it vibration, or wind whistling through the rack?

Comment

Steel racks on my 1st truck were actually too short for the supercab. The front bar was buffeting the wind stream coming off the windshield causing noise and the roof to shaking wildly at high way speed. A bevel ripped 2x4 fastened to the bar made it flow over the rack and did so for the 10 years I had that truck. System One's on the next truck were issue free for the 8 years I had that one.
      SteveC
      The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

More than you ever wanted to know about vortex shedding.
        If you will tape a piece on the leading edge the noise and vibration will stop.
        If it is pipe simply get a pice of rope and tape it on.
        To make it look cool use several different colors.
        Maybe like a barber's pole.
        Vortex Bill
        [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

I see, so its kind of important to direct the air around the bar (which is rectanglar in shape) unevenly. Also there may be a problem where the top bar is directly over the windshield????

http://www.haulerracks.com/html/truck_3.html
          http://www.haulerracks.com/html/haul...truck_rac.html

Maybe I could shape the front bar like a wing-would that increase the carring capacity with the lift???? Ha ha. I'll take all of the square surfaces and file them down so there is a bias. Should I direct air down, or up?

This is their wind deflector
          http://www.haulerracks.com/html/haul...accessori.html

thank you all so much

Comment

S. Joisey, i'm not sure if its vibration or wind running through the arrangement-most likely vibration.

Comment

Direct it up. Try wrapping some cloth on one area at a time. This will break up air flow and maybe isolate the whistle to one area.
              SteveC
              The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

You got anything on the ladder racks. I think mine are noisier when they are empty than when there are a couple of ladders on them.

Of course it may also be that I just cannot hear the ladder racks with the ladders bouncing around on them .

Comment

Semi-related:

I once worked for a guy who was obsessive in his hatred of ladder whistle. he had balled up paper towels shoved into each side of every tubular ladder rung. the ladders were far quieter than any I've been around,

Comment

Originally posted by retro-patrick View Post
                    Semi-related:

I once worked for a guy who was obsessive in his hatred of ladder whistle. he had balled up paper towels shoved into each side of every tubular ladder rung. the ladders were far quieter than any I've been around,
                    I have seen guys who use the expanding foam in each ladder rung. That is fine unless you use your rungs like I do. I often stick my screwdrivers or paint scrapers in the rungs instead of my back pockets or carrying a bucket with me.

Maybe you need to either slow down or speed up. Different speed might also make a difference. Not a permanent solution but again something to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
                      I have seen guys who use the expanding foam in each ladder rung. That is fine unless you use your rungs like I do. I often stick my screwdrivers or paint scrapers in the rungs instead of my back pockets or carrying a bucket with me.

Maybe you need to either slow down or speed up. Different speed might also make a difference. Not a permanent solution but again something to see if it makes a difference.

I use the foam trick myself, I also wear a tool belt. :)

Brew

Comment

Start with the rack empty first to isolate whether it's the rack or the ladder. Mine whistles only when I put the ladder on, so I know it's the ladder. But mine's not real loud, so I just turn up the stereo.
                        Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

I actually made a custom wood wind deflector similar to the slant on my windowshield and the rack became entirely silent! I mean it's like it's not even there!! I've never noticed a completely silent one. Thanks for all the help!!! I can post a pic if you want.

C

Comment

I am sure that quite a few would be interested in pics.

Brew

Comment

Had the same problem with my ladder racks, at 60 - 60mph they would emit a low humming sound, turning up the stereo and driving faster didn't help. After
                              re-positioning the front rack a few times, the sound went away.
                              Renaissance Restorations LLC
                              www.renaissancerestorations.com

Comment

Working...
                              X