Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Cadex Pin Nailer Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadex Pin Nailer Problems

I need help with my Cadex 1/2 inch to 1 3/8 inch pin nailer. It is less than one year old. I have sent an email to the website and haven't gotten a response so I'm on my own here. When I first bought it I couldn't get it to shoot any pins longer than 1 inch, I sent it back and they returned it, worked fine for a couple of months. Now, it won't shoot anything longer than one inch and often times won't shoot any pins unless loaded with a completely new strip, and then it will stop shooting at various times as the strip gets used. Of course, it sounds as if it is shooting the pins, so i have to check after each pin to see if it really did shoot one. I have tried different brands of pins, different pressure settings, cleaning the various parts, etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Maybe I should just give up and buy a different brand!

Re: Cadex Pin Nailer Problems

customer relations are ALWAYS top down driven

if customer services dont give a damm, you can guarantee that this is the view of the ceo

the philosophy of the ceo drives the company

i hate to say it but, cut your losses, chose another brand

and ensure that as many other people in the trade know of the bad business practice

however, give the ceo one last chance, write to him direct at company headquarters

he may be the victim of a rogue distributer with a bad attitude
    Limey Carpenter

Comment

Bill
      If it shoots short pins ok - than I would think there is something (dirt, a small burr, a pin chip) in an upper level track. Does it not shoot long brads and or long pins?
      Did you take the front nose guard off and look inside for an obstruction?

I have an earlier model that only shoots 1 3/16 brads and 1 3/8 pins and have no trouble with it. I also tried to contact the web site and original supplier to get a replacement no mar tip. No reply from either.

Comment

This is the way most companies are heading, screw the customer attitude. My list of preferred companies I send my money to is getting very short.

More on topic..I bought the Grex P645 which appears to be a dead ringer for the Cadex tool, no issues so far. Contact Floydtool.com They sell Cadex, maybe they can help.

Comment

I agree with BT. It sounds like the longer pins are either catching on something in the magazine track or the driver blade is not retracting all the way between shots so the pins can't slide foward. It could also be that the follower spring in the magazine is either very weak or binding in the magazine.

Put the long pins in the gun and fire it into some scrap wood until it misfires. Disconnect the air supply and open the magazine. Check to see if the driver blade is fully retracted. If any part of the driver blade is hanging down below the heads of the pins they won't be able to slide forward for the next shot and the gun will dry fire. If you are sure that the gun is receiving the proper air flow and pressure through the hose the repair will require some internal work. It could be an O-ring problem or the driver blade might be deformed or binding for some reason.

If you can confirm that the driver blade is consistently retracting all the way after every shot you should check the pin magazine next. Remove the nose piece and put a clip of the longest pins in the magazine. Slide the pins forward and out through the front of the gun. If they don't slide smoothly and effortlessly identify what they are hanging up on and do whatever you have to do to remove the obstruction. If the pins do slide smoothly remove the long pins and close the magazine. Now try to slide the clip of nails back into the magazine through the open front end of the gun. The clip should slide all the way in and out smoothly. The spring loaded follower blade in the magazine should be able to push the clip all the way out so the very last pin is in position to be fired. If it doesn't you need to find out why and fix it.

I have had a similar problem with one or two of my guns a few times over the years and the problem is usually just a stray bit of debris in the magazine or a sticky follower blade in the magazine that just needed a quick shot of WD-40.

Dean

Comment

if you get another brand, Go OMER
            http://www.amazon.com/B6-50-Gauge-Pi...0481676&sr=8-3

this gun is amazing. I like it better than the Cadex
            Jesse Wright
            www.archmolding.net
            www.jessewrightdesign.com
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Archit...27731683955342

Comment

Thanks to all for the help, I've taken the front of the nailer apart and it appears that the driver isn't fully retracting and that it is doing it intermitently. Doesn't seem to be connected just to pin length, although, it is more frequent with the longer pins. When my very old Senco behaves like this I know to change the driver and check the nose pieces for replacement. I have sent an email to Floyd tool to see if I can get parts. I let you know what happens.

Comment

OK. here is the update. I was able to find on the Woodworker Specialities website a set of directions on problems with the Cadex pin nailers. I followed the directions and was able to diagnosis my problems and order parts. I will let you know if it works out.

Comment

I bought a Nikle gun that has the same ownership as Cadex, I've emailed them for parts on multiple occasions with horrible customer service, as much as I like the tool I'll never buy another one of their products.

I'll have to contact Woodworker Specialties, They earned my business based on my last transactions with them (they sent the wrong product, told me to keep it n/c and got the right product out ASAP).

Comment

As promised, the update. The folks at Woodworker Specialities sent the parts I ordered and I followed the instructions. As an aside, the parts arrived just 5 days following my order. Not difficult to install new parts, so long and you keep track of the little parts I was to reuse, which they made a point of saying. Reassembled the Cadex and it works, better than the first couple of weeks I owned it. It shoots and counter sinks the 1 and 3/8 slight headed brads into 2 inch thick hard maple. When I first purchased it I tested it on hard maple, a wood I use making furniture and cabinets, and it wouldn't counter sink them, now it does and I am very happy with the people at Woodworker Specialities. They will be getting more of my business.

Comment

Thanks for posting this info. I have a Cadex that has been flawless, but it hasn't had that much use so far.
                      Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                      Website - Facebook

Comment

Which part or parts were bad? Which parts did you replace? Did they all come in one complete rebuild kit or did you have to order a bunch of individual parts?

Dean

Comment

I ordered two individual parts. The driver and the "o" ring for the driver. I chose to do that becuase the information on the website allowed me to diagnose my problem and showed me what to look for to determine which were the damaged parts.

Comment

BillWil

I I have the Cadex CP23.35 only a few years old having the same problem you
                            describe.

I also have a Senco micropinner had no problems the reason I bought the Cadex was to
                            shoot the longer pins and the headed pins.

My drive blade seems fine ordered the O ring kit as your problem been solved.

Frank

Comment

I have had the same problem with Grex (a co-workers), Cadex, and Maxwell (Grex copy cat). I guess they all go out over time. Luckily my Cadex was new enough that I just exchanged it. The Maxwell only cost me $60 and it lasted through over 100,000 nails, so I cant complain.
                              Tool Reviews

Comment

Working...
                              X