Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Any comments on the Dewalt DW735 Planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any comments on the Dewalt DW735 Planer

Hi,
    I just bought on sale at HD a Dewalt DW735 Planer and then I started reading some reviews and wonder if I made a mistake.
    I did a search on this site for some comments, but am wondering if anyone has anything good to say about this machine or should I take it back.
    Most of the neg. comments have been how quickly the blades get dull and feeding issues with the table even after it has been waxed.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks
    Rich
    PS It was on sale fo $411

Re: Any comments on the Dewalt DW735 Planer

I do not own one, but from everything I have heard, it is a nice planer except for the blade issue. Dewalt has been sending out free replacements if you call and complain. also there is aftermarket blades that last longer too.

overall, the general feeling is that is a good planer, but if you are buying it at full price you might be better off stepping up to a full size one. That being said if you got a good deal on it (sub $500?) it is worth keeping.

Brew

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.
      I ran some 3/4" Walnut through it and I liked the finish, min snipe, etc. Overall I like the planer, but I do not want to have to buy new blades all the time.
      Yes, I got it for $411 so that is a low price.
      Thanks again

Comment

Mine eats blades.

The original were brazed carbide and they still did not last that long.

Maybe 200' of oak is all that I get out of the replacements.

Hopefully Greg Burnett will see this, he has a set up he recommends, I believe this is the cutter but not certian;

http://www.byrdtool.com/

Tj
        http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

For those that don't have it yet - Home Depot has been clearing them out at $479 for some time now. Lowes sells them new for $649 currently.

Call around, you should still be able to find em cheap at HD, I just saw one at the Detroit Home Depot location.

A few years back, for some reason, Lowes was clearing out the steel extension tables for them for like $10 a set along with the dust collection setup for $7 or so...

JT
          Julian Tracy
          Tracy Renovation By Design, Inc.
          www.RenovationByDesignInc.com

Comment

Originally posted by JulianTracy View Post
            For those that don't have it yet - Home Depot has been clearing them out at $479 for some time now. Lowes sells them new for $649 currently.

Call around, you should still be able to find em cheap at HD, I just saw one at the Detroit Home Depot location.

A few years back, for some reason, Lowes was clearing out the steel extension tables for them for like $10 a set along with the dust collection setup for $7 or so...

JT
            Go to Lowes and tell them they are $479 at HD and Lowes will beat that by 10%.

Comment

I have used mine for quite some time now without any issues. I'm looking for better knives, though, and will try some aftermarket blades in the future. The DeWalt blades do dull fast. I have run a few hundred feet of poplar and a little cherry through mine, and flipped the blades once. They are double edged. The blades also nick easily, and for no apparent reason. I would really like to pick up a Byrd Shelix spiral head for it, but it's expensive. I don't see it on their web site anymore, so it might not still be available. Overall, though, I'm happy with it.

Comment

Infinity makes replacement High Speed Steel and also Carbide blades for the DW 735. I have a set of their HSS blades, but have yet to try them out. Waiting for the factory supplied ones to completely bite the dust first.

http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1345

Comment

The first set of blades I had in mine didn't last that long. Currently on the second set, Dewalt brand, and they have done much better. Lately I have planed a whole bunch of rough white ash thru mine and it has done great.
                  Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                  Website - Facebook

Comment

Hi,
                    Here is an email I rec'd back on the "SHELIX" cutter head for the DeWalt DW735

Dear Mr. Owen:

We do have the "SHELIX" in stock for the Dewalt DW-735 13"portable planer. Cost is $439.00 which includes the first full set of 4-sided solid carbide inserts. Bearings, if needed, would be $18.75/pair and we could mount them for you at no additional charge before shipment. Shipping would be extra.

Thanks for your iterest in our tooling. Just let us know when you are ready to upgrade.

Becky Grant
                    Byrd Tool Corp
                    1/800-441-2973
                    6/25/09

Comment

for that kind of money maybe a real commercial duty tool would be better . Will this planer last long enough to really warrent those blades.

Comment

That is exactly the question I have been asking myself before I plunk down the cash.
                        Not in a rush so I have some time to decide.
                        Now thanks to Craigslist, I have been finding all sorts of great buys on tools and equipment.
                        Thanks
                        Rich

Comment

Working...
                        X