Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Milwaukee Framing Nailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee Framing Nailer

Any word on the Milwaukee 22 d. full round head nailer. It's full of nice features but at around $200, I wonder if it's too good to be true.

Regards, Bob

Re: Milwaukee Framing Nailer

Silence is golden: got my answer - nobody's using this newcomer, better stick to reputable co.

Comment

Bob, I believe the guns are practically the same as the Ridgid's - IIRC, they're both made by TTI. Both brands have some very nice features & while I've used a couple Ridgid finish guns & been pretty impressed with them, I don't have any experience with the framers. You might try inquiring on the Ridgid forum...http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
      Greg

Comment

In a test of framing nailers in the January/February 2008 issue of Tools of the Trade, the Milwaukee 7100-20 tied for second place in a field of 20 full round-head nailers.
        Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

I have not had a chance to use the Milwaukee Framing Nailer but picked up the Milwaukee roofing nailer a year or so ago for the occasional roofing job and it is great. The Milwaukee's have interesting features and appear well made.

Comment

Bob, if you wanna know what you "need" to know about that gun, simply turn it upside down and look at the size of the driver, OR find out if it's rated to shoot case-hardened fasteners.

Pretty much all nailers are made off-shore now by a handful of companies.
            Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot; 02-09-2008, 11:01 PM.
            "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

[QUOTE=whiskytangofoxtrot;359153]Bob, if you wanna know what you "need" to know about that gun, simply turn it upside down and look at the size of the driver, OR find out if it's rated to shoot case-hardened fasteners./QUOTE]

Could you expand on this: what size driver; and I'm embarrassed to say - what are case-hardened nails?

Appreciate the posts,

Bob

Comment

Bob, some framing nailers have a "blade (imagine a ruler) style driver which is adequate but not as durable as a "stick" (imagine a 3/8" thick pencil) style driver.

Most clipped-head nailers utilize a blade style (as least the old Sencos did) while FRH (full round head) nailers usually utilize the solid "stick" type driver.

A "case hard" or case hardened nail is a gun nail used to fasten wood to concrete, similar to a powder actuated gun, but pneumatically. So, if the manuf. specifies that a particular gun will shoot case hards, you can pretty much be assured that that gun will have a very heavy-duty driver.

and fyi, I'm going to keep waiting to find that gun for $200 or less, and then I'm gonna pick one up :)
                "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

Does anybody have any more comments about this nailer? I'm shopping for a stick nailer.

Can I service it myself? Does the tip have points for toe-nailing? I don't see any in the pictures.

Seems like everyone around here has a Paslode. Any advantage to the Paslode?
                  Last edited by BIG_E_; 05-30-2008, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_E_ View Post
                    Does anybody have any more comments about this nailer? I'm shopping for a stick nailer.

Can I service it myself? Does the tip have points for toe-nailing? I don't see any in the pictures.

Don't know how much framing you do, but the newer lighter Max stick nailer that Tim MacNumara reviewed in JLC sounds like a nice gun. The weird green Hitachi gun that is newer was nice too when we reviewed it. If I was using a stick nailer, I'd be very very tempted to try either gun.
                    www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
                    http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

I never got the Milwaukee but am waiting for the redesigned Paslode pneumatic nailer - check out the video: http://www.paslode.com/videos/pf350.html

Bob

Comment

I do a little bit of everything, as I've only been building for a few years and haven't found a niche yet. The first project for this will be to replace the section of an 1830 farmhouse that was in rough shape and needed to be torn out (pic attached). Yes we saved most of the beams!

I'm willing to spend the money on good tools, but don't want to waste money either.

I just read the review of the Max SN883RH on Tools Of The Trade. Sounds like a nice nailer, and I like the compact size. But the Milwaukee is $130 less.

Can the Milwaukee only take plastic collated nails? The Max says it can take plastic or paper.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BIG_E_; 05-30-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "service" it, it comes w/ the Allen wrenches needed to open it up if you would have to.

Yes, it has a removable "cup" the covers the toe-nailing teeth and it has a place to store it on the tool. Also has built in adjustable hanger.

Personally I've only used plastic collated nails, but I would think any 20-22* FRH up to 3 1/2" long would shoot relatively well, the spacing can't be that big a diff between held together w/ wire or held w/ plastic.

I have to say I have not used the Max framer, or the new Rigid framing nailer, but I have used Duo-fast, Senco, Paslode, Hitachi, Makita and Spot-nail, the Milwaukee is as fine as any and better than some, and for what...$169.00 @ Amazon right now, it's also a hell of a deal.
                          Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot; 05-30-2008, 08:46 PM.

Paul

Comment

If you do a little bit of everything (like I do), you might want to check out the Bostitch F21PL as it's quite powerful and has a positive placement tip for nailing hangers and straps. I have the previous generation(N88RH MCN) and it's been reliable.

The Milwaukee looks nice especially at $149 (amazon this a.m.) though.

http://www.cpobostitch.com/nailers/f...s/f21pl-r.html Has recon F21PL for $149
                            Last edited by fn_benthayer; 05-31-2008, 09:42 AM. Reason: cpo deal

Comment

I've put about 1000 nails through my new Milwaukee 7100-20. Works great. The light recoil and light weight are nice, but also makes it a bit easier to double fire. It's nice to not need any tools to set the depth, trigger mode or vent direction, and just today it was easy to put the rubber bumper back on the tip for nailing a beam we didn't want gouged up.

The blade that drives the nail looks beefy. I've had a couple misfires and had to pull the nails back and pop them back into place once to get it to fire again. Every now and then it drops a loose nail when I unload a strip to change types of nails.

Comment

Working...
                              X