Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

ChopShop ~ Saw Hood for Miter Saws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChopShop ~ Saw Hood for Miter Saws

Despite the name which must be an abomination to any Hot car that may be jacked, this product is Hot. Besides it is spelled ChopShop not Chop Shop.

I saw it at the JLC Long Beach Show where every miter saw at a clinic had one. What a great idea. Gary had a transparent one mounted to his Bosch ms while other clinics had some other colors, white or red.

After the initial installation to the miter saw, the job site set up and take down looked like it would take less than a minute. One very trick feature of the hood is that small cut offs from the saw can be thrown back in the hood where they are funneled down into a trash bucket or box under the hood. See Photo

Besides the benefit of diverting dust and collecting cut offs the hood will also serve if used outside as a protective cover in inclement weather. It can also be mounted to other brands than Bosch. I bought it for my 12' Vertical motor Delta.

This is going to be a big seller for FastCap. They were taking advance orders as fast as they could write them Up. The proviso being that FastCap will not debit a charge card until they ship.

Since this is a brand new product not yet on their website I expect a shipping delay until they can get production ramped up. From the sales pdf they sent to me the retail price will be $149. The pdf did not list color choices which might mean they will all be white which is OK because that is the color I have on order.
    Attached Files
    ....Bob Lavery
    "One should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed."
    William of Occam quote

Re: ChopShop ~ Saw Hood for Miter Saws

Bob,

Nice pic of what Al (ca) was talking about in this link:

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...t=36802&page=9

Post #131

Thanks for posting the pic of the "white" version....
    Chuck

Comment

Chuck,
      I Just looked at the pic posted by Al. It is almost identical as the one that FastCap has put on their ChopShop Flyer. The angle and orientation of the saw and of Gary's back is exactly the same. The biggest difference is that FastCaps Flyer has the Senco booths Logo over Gary's head. That shot was probably taken at Providence.

The ChopShop flyer (pdf) along with the jpeg pic was sent to me by Fastcap.
      The Flyer has a pic of Gary with the transparent hood and of an orange hood by itself.

If you want me to fwd it, send me an E-Mail
      ....Bob Lavery
      William of Occam quote

Comment

I looked at their site yesterday and did not see it listed. Anyone know when it will be available for sale? I bet it would be good at catching that "cloud" of MDF dust that always seems to linger in the air. Just goes to show you that there is still some good ideas/inventions out there.
        David

Comment

it is for sale now, just call them and tell them you saw it at the show and want the sale price 99 bucks, they should accept it. they have them in white.
          Kreg
          www.builtinking.com
          youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
          if you do not have fun every day... why?
          get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
          remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

How well does it work? Anyone use it or see it in use?
            Justin Thomas

Comment

The finest dust that tends to stay airborne will still be floating but won't be blasted across the entire room as much. Anything heavy enough to settle is funneled via a chute, under the saw into a box, trash can or other container, which also comes in handy for throwing scraps and cut-offs in, instead of brushing them off the saw and having to pick them up later. They work great, are very light and portable, and attach on and off the saw in seconds.
              Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
              This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

Here is a jpg of the Red Hood. Did anyone order any other color than White?
                Attached Files
                ....Bob Lavery
                William of Occam quote

Comment

Originally posted by kreg McMahon View Post
                  it is for sale now, just call them and tell them you saw it at the show and want the sale price 99 bucks, they should accept it. they have them in white.
                  I hate to lie but $50 is a hefty price break.
                  Seems like an awesome product but it looks like the fabric hood should be attached on the inside of the frame. As it is it looks like the frame itself would collect dust. The top of the hood looks like a good place to clamp a light.
                  David

Comment

I agree but if then can sell it at the show for 99 bucks then they can sell it to you for 99 bucks, tell them you heard about it on the jlc forum from some of their best customers. I am going to get one also. done deal! you may have to blow it out now and then and you know how sawdust is.
                    Kreg
                    www.builtinking.com
                    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
                    if you do not have fun every day... why?
                    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
                    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Wonder if I can make one out of an old umbrella and some duct tape? :)

Comment

Originally posted by newman View Post
                        Wonder if I can make one out of an old umbrella and some duct tape? :)
                        Hey MacGiver, what part of Cali do you hail from? :)
                        Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain

Comment

orange county

Comment

Newman,

We're practically neighbors. I live just south of you, on the border of Vista and Carlsbad.
                            I had originally planned to make my own hood out of PVC pipe before I saw the Fastcap hood at JLCLive. I'm still kicking myself in the a** for not picking one up at the show, especially at the $99 price. IMHO, this is one of the best designed saw accessories I've ever seen. They are going to sell a lot of these.
                            Last edited by Toolwhore; 05-29-2007, 09:50 AM.
                            Tom

Comment

It's a great idea. I had a similar hood I made with metal rods and clear vynal for my RAS.

Comment

Working...
                              X