Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

how much screw gun for decking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much screw gun for decking

I'm builing a deck w/ 1.5" cedar decking. I could nail it with my FRH framing nailer, but was considering screwing it down. One step down from the QD2000 are the beefy drywall guns that have been slowed down and amped up for decking. Is this enough screw gun, and if so does anyone have any recomendations? Also, am I silly to think screwing is that much better than ring shanked nails on a sturdy frame built on 16-24" centers. Thanks for any advice.

Re: how much screw gun for decking

Mark,
    You don't need to spend money for a new screw gun if it's just for one project; use you 1/2" VSR electric drill, it's all you need. If you have the time then you could use squared drive stainless steel screws for entire deck, don't use cheapy galvanized phillip head screws on cedar, it'll stain cedar later. Using ss ring shank nails with a nail gun would cut down the time by half, but if you make a mistake, it'd be difficult to save the board, not like with a screw, all you have to do is back it out. I used screws at both ends of board (and on warped boards) and rink shanks on the rest of board to save time. I'd heard that the metal or plastic parts that hold nails together (nail strip) would stick and protrude above the wood surfaces after being driven in along with the nail, waiting for a soft bare foot. It happened with certain kind of nail guns, so far it has not happened to me yet, I don't know because of my nail gun or the nails or the set air pressure. I bought my stainless squared drive screws and stainless ring shank nails from McFeely's.

Comment

Check out this site..... coastaltool.com

this company ships anywhere and has the best prices i've seen.........bought a PAM collated screwgun from them, cost was about 395., way below
      anyone else.

this unit drives screws off 50 count collated strips, they sell the ammo too, again, way below the competitors. PAM is a German company, builds the same unit for Milwaukee Tools which sell for a lot more.

The PAM unit comes with a Milwaukee gun, and the long snout attached to it. Remove the extension and put the snout back on, you have a collated strip fed sheetrock gun, so you're getting a strip fed deckgun and drywall gun for the same price. Coastal sells both decking and sheetrock screws.

I do a lot of flooring and tile, use this gun for installing underlayment plywood, stopping floor squeaks before putting oak or tile floors in. Walk around to find the squeaks, then shoot some deck screws in the bad areas. Had jobs where the bath floors were real noisy, avoided rip-outs by ending the squeaking with screws.

Comes in a plastic gun case, think the shipping was free. I use this gun all the time, it was a great investment. If you do any framing, can also shoot the subfloor plywood with this, no squeaks.
      Only used it a couple times for sheetrock when I had some remodeling to do along with flooring. I have regular rock guns, but 50 strip-fed screws is way faster than fishing in your pouch for loose fasteners.

The strips feed in real fast by sliding the plastic strip down a channel, then start shooting. A reload takes about 20 seconds. The unit works the same as a clutch driven sheetrock gun in that you keep your finger running the trigger, or just lock it in the "on" position. Then push the snout against the workpiece and the clutch engages and drives the fastener home. Goes as fast as you can.

Cheap to run regarding screw bit consumption. Takes a longer bit, about 4-5 inches also available from CoastalTool. I bought extras, but have yet to replace one. For whatever reason they last longer than bits in a regular drywall gun.

I've shot deck screws with my drywall guns for plywood underlayment. Believe me, the first good size job, this gun will pay for itself in saved time. Good luck with the deck.

Comment

I use my cordless drills for this lots of the time.

Comment

YOU WANT A GUN THAT RUNS AROUND 2500 RPM ANY FASTER AND IT MAY TWIST THE SCREW HEADS OFF I WOULDN'T RECONMEND USING JUST VERIABLE SPEED DRILL BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE IT'S TOLL MAKITA HAS A NEW GUN OUT A 6823 IT IS A GREAT DECKING GUN IT HAS A DEPTH SET ON IT IT IS QUIET AND THE UNIT CAN ALSO BE USED FOR DRYWALL WORK. MAKITA ALSO HAS A $20 DOLLAR TRADE IN PROGRAM GOING ON WITH THEIR MODELS 6823,6824,AND 6825 WETHER IT WORKS OR NOT BUT THE TRADE IN HAS TO BE A SCREW GUN THE 6823 WOULD BE A GREAT GUN FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND IT WILL GIVE YOU MANY YEARS OF SERVICE

Comment

Having built many decks in my time, I prefer (and so do most of my customers) screws over nails. They just look better on decks than nails. They take longer and cost more than nails, so if time and price are a consideration go with nails. However, since you are using cedar, which is more costly than treated pine, it makes sense to stay with screws.
            Get a high quality screw for outdoor use that is color coded for cedar, either SS or those that have a tan hue to them (sold by Lowes).
            If your deck is small, stick with a low speed screw gun with plenty of amps. Buy a good quality counter sink kit to go along with your screw gun/drill. If you have a drill and a screw gun, keep the counter sink in the drill and use your screw gun to drive the screws.
            Go with square drive screws. McFee has a nice catalog which will supply you with any screw you need.
            If you are doing over 1000 sq. ft., think about renting a unit similar to the one mentioned in a response to your question. I doubt that it would pay for itself on one deck, but it may be worthwhile to rent.
            Unless you are a pro or your deck is huge, you can get by with very little when it comes to screws. Besides, building a great deck is a lot more than having the right nailer or screw gun.
            Good luck.

Comment

Mark,
              We build lots of decks and have screwed of few of them with battery drills and good quality deck screws. I have the pam gun with extention for sub floor, but would not use it on a finished deck. I have not been happy with the look of decks that are screwed off. We take the time to make sure all screws are in perfect alingment, but still prefer using 12d galvanized casing nails. They hold well and if set in cedar the wood swells and hides the nail. They also hold well. We pre drill the ends of the board to prevent splitting. Hand nailing is faster than using screws, less money, and finishes nicer. The galvaized nails hold well too. If you want the best look and hold and price is not an issue, try the EBTY system. It takes a biscuite jointer, money and time, but I find it the best. We use it with the exotic deck woods like IPE, LOPE, and Iron Wood.
              Ron

Comment

Mark, Ron, and others here,

I can't really disagree with what Ron has said here. The only concern I have in using 12d galvanized casing nails is the quality and holding power of most generic brands (although you could always glue and nail to make sure). I would stick with MAZE galvanized ring shank 12d if available in your local supply store. I feel they are worth the price and hold their rust proof quality longer than any other I have tried. The generics nails sold by Lowes and Home Depot are not what I would use in a cedar or redwood deck. You will save a few bucks, but to me they are not worth the savings, particularly if you do "high end" work. I never skimp because I have found it never pays in the long run. The trouble I have found with typical galvanized nails is when you sink the nail below the surface with your nail punch. It takes the galvanized coating off most generic nails. Then, the nail slowly discolors and stains the cedar. This is my experience over the years. Others obviously may disagree.

Paslode sells a very high quality nail for their guns that I also highly recommend. I believe they call it the "TLN" or something to that effect. I have tried their galvanized nails and find their heads do discolor over time.

Systems like EBTY and others are for decks with homes in the $500K and up range. I have tried several. The decks look truly impressive, but unless your house looks like a work of art, forget them.

Comment

I'm confused. Cedar a very good choice for deck material is soft and very good looking. I install decks all the time and I use a wide variety of cordless drivers. All work well in cedar with a square drive salt tested screw. As I see it if you have any driver at all above 12 volts you've already got what you need. I use a #9 3" screw and a#8 2" screw. There isn't any need to spend all that money for stainless screws when a good alturnative is at your lumber supply.

Comment

Hay, go to:GrabberMan.com. I have been useing there screw guns for the last 10 years. when it comes to collated screws thay know there stuff. I have used them all. One name is all you need to know.GRABBER ask about the new lox resses screws these screws won't slip. I am the owner or prevent-a-squeak of middle tennessee. a subfloor screw down service in nashville tennessee we are members of the HBAMT. WE RUN OVER A 1,000,000 GRABBER SCREWS YEARLY

Comment

Working...
                    X