Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

hinges on a marble top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hinges on a marble top

Have a potential job where a marble countertop is to have a hinged section installed so the is access to the laundry chute. I have seen the countertop guys drill and epoxy sinks to the countertops but I have never considered doing something like that myself. I suppose a countertop company might do that but first thought was it might be too small a job for them to consider. You are looking at maybe 8 screws on a piano hinge.
    I have to think this thru because it seems to me that a countertop would almost always have stuff on it that would have to be moved to lift the lid to get to the laundry chute. Plus I am a little concerned about the weight of a piece of marble and maybe falling and hurting someone. They are thinking of a piece about 12 inches by 18 inches, maybe a bit more.

So is it possible I could do this job?
    Any special epoxy needed?
    Other thoughts?

Re: hinges on a marble top

There are nut plates that glue on without drilling. I'll find them latter and post a link.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

beezo,

Every time (99%) there is stone involved I'll have my fabricator make it for me. They know all the possibilities/limits of stone not to mention all the proper adhesives, etc.. I have them make all my custom shampoo niches, etc.. and they make me look good.

The weight as you mentioned was the first thing that came to my mind, so "toy box" type hinges or similair will need to be incorporated. They have them rated to well over 100 pounds

Nothing is too small to have fabricated, I'd run the specs with your local fabricator and at least get their input and approx cost.
      Gary

Comment

The stone should be fabricated so the hinge isn't being stressed while the counter is closed- it's only holding the piece while it's being lifted. That said, I agree with having a counter fabricator fab it for you. They won't think it's too small- but they will want to get paid for it. Then you'll have a better idea of what the job is worth, too.
        http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I consider dealing with stone a pretty specialized trade, once you consider the special tools used. That said, why would you want to do this simple bit of stonework yourself versus having a stoner at least make it for you??

Look at it this way. The fabrication and hinge attachment will be controlled by someone who knows which drill, which adhesive, etc. I don't doubt you can install it, but keep in mind every time they lift it, and drop it...when(if) it fails do you think they will remember you gave them a one year warranty??

The success of long-term use for this product is not something I would want the liability for! I don't think its worth it!
          Take Care

Jim

Comment

Jim,
            I talked to a stone guy today and he said that they would take on a small job like this. My main thought was that it might be something they would not want to do.
            On the other hand, they said that they would not recommend it and would only make the thing and then sign it over to me. They said that the lid would weigh around 40 lbs which if it fell would be quite a bit of an issue and they were not sure how well it would hold up for something like this. They admitted they have hinged some marble in the past but it was for something that was going to be accessed much less than a daily lift to toss dirty laundry down.
            My next step is to see if we can design it another way.

Comment

You'd need a soft-close lid support, just like on a toy/cedar chest. Still best to go with a tilt bin door on the cabinet.
              Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkMc View Post
                You'd need a soft-close lid support, just like on a toy/cedar chest. Still best to go with a tilt bin door on the cabinet.
                that is what I am leaning towards. I do not ever recall looking for one and wonder if they are some you can buy or if they are something I just need to make up myself. Will look at a few on line catalogs tonight. My current thougth is to build a simple cabinet, install a door that tilts out and have a metal shop make up some sheet metal to do the insides of the cabinet with to make it slick and smooth.

Comment

you can have hinges welded to a metal plate and epoxy the plate to the top. this provides more surfare contact area.

Comment

Working...
                  X