Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

protecting hardwood stairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protecting hardwood stairs

OK - looking to see what others use to protect hardwood treads.......especially where you will be working for a period of time and the client is living in the house.
    I have been taping rosin paper down the edges - good to protect from dirt and scratches but certainly not good enough for dent protection.
    Appreciate knowing what works for others.

Re: protecting hardwood stairs

Why not just buy a dozen or so of the rubber tread covers and tack them on? Most of them have a rolled front edge and the 2 little tack or brad holes on the top probably won't show later, when sanded and stained. The front edge underneath won't show at all. And if you're really concerned about the brads, use the smallest you can, and still tape down the edges with one of the painter style products; they have a tendency to clean up easier at the end.

Oh, yeah, fill out your profile to continue posting and receiving answers!
    Take Care

Jim

Comment

I usually putdropclothes down and tack them down tight with shoe molding where treads meet riser, then put ripped down masonite down with duct tape
      Steve

Comment

I use a carpet runner from top of the stairs to the bottom, tacked where the tread meets the riser. I usually turn it upside down so the softer carpet is against the wood instead of the rough underside.
        -----------------------------
        Dustin Wyatt
        -----------------------------

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Comment

I've used this product many times and have been very satisfied. I've put it over a 2nd coat of polyurethane after 24hrs. drying without damaging the finish. If you install it carefully, it has enough tack to not slip without tape. When the house is finished, I roll it up and save it for mud protection over an unfinished surface.

http://www.protectiveproducts.com/econo-runner.html

Doug

Comment

thanks guys - just the sort of ideas I was looking for. Tacking into brand new risers and or treads ( unless the underside of the nosing) would be hard to do.........
            oh, and yes James, I updated the profile, photo and all.

Comment

Another vote of confidence for the Protective Products runner. Through our supplier it's called "
              Finished Floor Protector", but it looks like the same thing Doug linked to. Good stuff.

Matthew Clark

Comment

Size options with this brand
                http://pro-tect.com/Finished-Floor-Guard.html
                SteveC
                The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

Working...
                X