Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Faucet repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faucet repair

Have a new client who needed a faucet repaired.

The purchased the faucet, tub, shower, etc. all back in '99. Everything was matching Jado #816 Wynd in a Brushed nickel finish.

Worked great up until about 2 years ago. The faucet wouldn't stop dripping, so they shut off the supplies and have been since using their tub to wash their hands in.

2 years later, she meets me and asks me to fix her sink. Several weeks of thinking about it, and she finally lets me try to repair the faucets.

The handles welded themselves onto the stems, and the only way to get them off was to cut them off. Once the handles were removed, I could remove the bells and install the new cartridges.

JADO replaced all the parts for FREE. I installed the new cartridges I received a few weeks back, and now that I know which parts were damaged during the repair, they're sending me new handles and a bell to install.

What a great warranty. Lifetime replacement of any parts that were affected by the faucet going bad. I was expecting to have to pay for the handles and bell, but they are sending them with no charge.

Nice to deal with a company which stands behind their product, even if it is the water in the system which caused the issue.
    Attached Files
    Chuck

Re: Faucet repair

Pretty amazing warranty. Especially today when so many companies have been bought up by each other. Not sure I have heard of Jado.

As far as cutting the handles off I have had pretty good luck with the handle pullers. Similiar to a steering wheel puller except much smaller. Small rod fits down into where the stem screw goes, has a couple of claws that grab the handle. A couple of turns and the even pressure will make it come loose.

Comment

Lucky you. I had to remove a similar bell to replace a cracked tile. Put small scratch in bell, just ordered a new one didn't tell customer since it was my fault.
      Was a new bath we were doing, cost $65.
      SteveC
      The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
        Pretty amazing warranty. Especially today when so many companies have been bought up by each other. Not sure I have heard of Jado.

As far as cutting the handles off I have had pretty good luck with the handle pullers. Similiar to a steering wheel puller except much smaller. Small rod fits down into where the stem screw goes, has a couple of claws that grab the handle. A couple of turns and the even pressure will make it come loose.
        M.

Here's their website:

http://www.jadousa.com/

These handles were welded on. There was no space between the bell and the handle to get a puller below it, not even enough to fit a screw driver blade.

I will look into one of those pullers, next job I do like this. Thanks for the tip.
        Chuck

Comment

I've also experienced great customer service from JADO with free replacement parts. I understand they were bought by American Standard a while back. The latest fixtures I bought were made in China rather than Germany. Bummer!
          Joe Adams
          Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
          Houston, Texas

Comment

Not to detract from that supplier, but geez, at those prices they better replace such poorly made stuff. I mean, weld themselves????

In the faucet business, I have never (well, in the last 4-5 years) been refused free replacements from ANY company. Just on a say-so, no proof of anything.

Just the other day one company sent me a whole shower set of my choice because their old set was obsolete and they couldn't supply replacement parts. And a few weeks ago I got a replacement faucet for my own kitchen sink because the old one was getting sloppy-feeling. Too much free play, no leaks or anything.

I think the faucet business is getting extremely competitive and they have to do this to survive.

Comment

either the plumbing supply business is getting competetive or they have figured out a way to make the products cheap enough that they can do that. I have had stems, handles, misc. parts sent to me for free. I used to think just my plumber got that kind of service.

On the other hand I have to admit, that there have been times when it is faster to go and buy another faucet and install that. Faster in that it can be done that day, no looking around on the internet for parts, no going to the parts store and hoping they have what you need. Or you go there, take the thing apart, find out the problems, put it back together to wait for parts, make another trip back to put it together when the parts come in. Plus for some brands, a set of stems will cost you close to half of a new faucet. Throw in a new handle and you can buy another faucet. Unless you get it all for free. So if the chrome/brass finish is not the sharpest, a new faucet sometimes is a good way to go also. Maybe not if it is a $400 faucet but some of the lesser priced ones it seems to be a good option.

Comment

Working...
              X