Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Canexel Siding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canexel Siding

Has anyone else had a problem with the siding shrinking to the point where the joint covers no longer cover the joint? In fact the joint cover now fits in between the two peices of siding. I am in the prosess of trying to get LP Products to warrenty the siding. We did have problems with the color; light blue splotches on a dark blue siding. Thinking back I should have refused the entire batch.
    Build it Energy Efficient

Re: Canexel Siding

Jay

Specifically what product in the LP line.
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    EDI Seminar Instructor
    Level one thermographer (Snell)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Interesting dilemma Jay.
      It seems to me the issue would be what was the MC of the material when you installed it and what is it with the gaps?
      AND, how large was the gap when first installed?
      And then I would ask how much has it shrunk?
      How much time?
      What changed that caused the shrinkage.
      As far as I know the only thing that would cause shrinkage is loosing moisture content.
      Do you have any photos?
      Please share them.
      Mark, he is talking about Canexel.
      While I have never used it it does have a good track record.
      Bill R
      [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Thanks Bill, should have caught that in the thread title and a Google search but the obvious isn't always obvious depending on the time of day and the frame of mind.
        I am looking at using the LP SmartSide Bold Profiles in the twelve or sixteen,

http://www.lpcorp.com/sidingtrim/lps...spx#lap-bold12

This looks as if it is the primed version of the CanExel but the warranty is different 5/50 year, any knowledge of this product?
        Mark Parlee
        BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
        EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
        EDI Seminar Instructor
        Level one thermographer (Snell)
        www.thebuildingconsultant.com
        You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

I do have some familiarity with this Mark.
          It is a fiber product, the treatment is most excellent.
          I have only used it in a limited application however would not hesitate to use it on a larger project.
          Hardly any need to tell you however following instructions is key.
          Bill R
          [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

The siding was tight to the joint covers. It is was slightly damp when we installed it. We had problems with the color; there were blotches randomly throughout the entire unit. I should have just refused the unit, but I did not. I have five other houses with the same siding, but different color that have no problems. Other than this one batch of siding I have not problems with it. We will see what Lp Corp comes up with. As you can see in the picture the joint cover can no longer cover the edges of the siding.
            Attached Files
            Build it Energy Efficient

Comment

Working...
            X