Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Thermatru Aluminum door threshold fix.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermatru Aluminum door threshold fix.

I installed a Thermatru FG door last year & the H.O. discovered that the threshold (doorsill) was recently damaged by one of their kids. The door is a 5-0 x 8-0 dual sidelite & transome with a full length threshold (side to side) in brass finished alum. H.O. would like the threshold repaired (dime sized dent in the middle) Told him - "Can't fix it without ordering a new threshold, (removing the entire unit), R&R the threshold & replace the door.

Someone brilliant with some creative idea out there?

Please, send them this way..

Thanks in advance...
    T.

Re: Thermatru Aluminum door threshold fix.

I would go back to where you purchased the door and see if you can discuss this with the prehanger.

If you are looking for an easy fix fugggidaboutit.

Once the aluminum is stretched (dented) it is stretched.
    Bill R
    [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Robinson
      I would go back to where you purchased the door and see if you can discuss this with the prehanger.

If you are looking for an easy fix fugggidaboutit.

Once the aluminum is stretched (dented) it is stretched.
      Bill R

THANKS BILL,

I know that there's no easy fix- I had already explained that to the H.O. It's not worth the $$ to remove the door & repair correctly. I was just seeing what other guys had done to remedy this situation- if any remedy exists.
      Last edited by T. Wolf Home Improvements; 04-22-2006, 02:29 PM.
      T.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Wolf Home Improvements
        I was just seeing what other guys had done to remedy this situation.
        Send a big invoice and replace it. If they are concerned about a dime size dent in a door threshold and have the time in their life to pick up the phone to call you about it, they must be the kind of customer that you have to charge more just to deal with.

I just finished a three week job for a very nice young couple that must have called me 30 times a day--whenever a thought popped into their head, my cell phone rang. I anticipated this from the first meeting and "adjusted" my rate to compensate for it.
        Your source for:
        Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
        Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
        Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
        Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

T,
          1) Remove brick mould
          2) Remove inside casing
          3) Sawzall jamb legs 6" up
          4) Remove legs
          5) Replace threshold on cutout legs
          6) Pocket screws legs back in place
          8) Repair cuts with filler
          9) Replace mouldings
          10) Shoot kids :)
          or
          As per your original plan R & R door ,then shoot kids
          SteveC ;)
          TJANJ
          SteveC
          The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di
            Send a big invoice and replace it. If they are concerned about a dime size dent in a door threshold and have the time in their life to pick up the phone to call you about it, they must be the kind of customer that you have to charge more just to deal with.

I just finished a three week job for a very nice young couple that must have called me 30 times a day--whenever a thought popped into their head, my cell phone rang. I anticipated this from the first meeting and "adjusted" my rate to compensate for it.
            The H.O.'s havent been real difficult, I was there estimating their bath reno & they mentioned it. I told them I could take part of their kids college fund to repair it (as a joke), but I figured I would just ask the forum to see if there were any clever fixes.

I have a client like you stated above. I also have "adjusted" my rate to compensate- realistically it's approperate- they waste your time- your time is money- they pay more money.... It all works in the end.

I have a friend in the industry who suggested to use that peel & stick non-skid material you see on stairways (looks like black sandpaper) but I nixed the idea b/c it would look cheezy. A $4 strip on a $6k door- not happening.

THanks...
            T.

Comment

You could fill the dent with Bondo and then recoat the entire sill with metalic paint and clear overcoat. Then plan on an annual service contract to touch it up.

Shop for new work when you are there each year.

Comment

Bringing this thread back to life for selfish reasons...

We just finished a $600,000 house and after removing the sill protection found two large dents in the aluminum threshold (mill finish). We have the room to skin it with an overlay but I don't know if one exists. There is a patent from Polytech that claims a retrofit threshold overlay but I can't find if anyone has ever manufactured it or if remained a think tank project.

Any ideas or help since this thread died?

Comment

Working...
                X