Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Exterior Chalk...What Brand do you use????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Chalk...What Brand do you use????

In November I applied some caulking around some windows I installed in an addition. Prior to this job I have been using Phenoseal, but shame on me I picked up a case of DAP for this particular job. I was out there today and much to my horror almost every one of my caulk seams has shrunk up and pulled away from the windows or trim (Vinyl and AZEK).

Needless to say I am not a happy camper. Today was a "warm" 47 degrees, but who knows when it will warm up enough to allow me to redo this mess. DAP claims to have a 35 year guarantee, and the tubes say to install above 42 degrees (it was in the 60's when I originally applied it).

I was just wondering what some others use...especially here in the "snow belt".
    Last edited by Cornerstone Tim; 01-09-2006, 05:41 PM.
    PRAY FOR OBAMA.....Psalm 109:8
    http://www.cstonecarpentry.com/

Re: Exterior Chalk...What Brand do you use????

Tim,

First off it is spelled caulk... at first I was wondering what you were doing putting chalk around the windows? lol.

the guarantees only give you back your money that you paid... what a guarantee. Did the caulk actually shrink or did the window frame move a bit? even though the trim is azteck if it was attached to wood, that could have caused it to move.

thats my 2 cents worth
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

I just attended a Pella seminar last week where one of the isses they addressed was proper caulking. According to these experts, it is best to start with approx. 3/8" gap. Insert a backing rod, apply caulk and tool it. The result is a concave surface on each side (hour glass shape) that better resists the pulling of constant expansion and contraction associated with vinyl products.

I'm curious where your caulk failed. If it pulled from either side it may be an adhesion failure. Otherwise, the above method is supposed to be the cure.

We use DAP fairly often, especially the painters caulk for interior use. The main item I look for is at least a 35 year warranty. I'm not stuck on any paticular brand myself. I do believe however, if I can get my hands on enough duct tape and silicone, I can get a chevy to the moon.
      This Space For Rent - BR549

Comment

Kreg,

I'm not that familar with Azek, only used it once. You made me wonder though, I think Azek is a PVC product. That would make me think that it would move quite a bit with tempature swings. Your post suggests the opposite. What do I need to know?
        This Space For Rent - BR549

Comment

Darn that spell check!

I have used DAP in Interior applications for years with no problems.
          I would say that the gaps that failed were between 1/8th and a 1/4.
          This was applied at what I would say is the worst time of the year. The temperature dropped probably 40 degrees within two weeks. Normally I apply a bead and then run my fat little finger over it leaving it slightly concave. The crew I worked with in California said I had "fingers made for caulking".

I'm stumped. I just returned from checking another job I did with the same product about the same time, and no problems.

I was just inquiring if someone had a product they prefered over what I used.
          PRAY FOR OBAMA.....Psalm 109:8
          http://www.cstonecarpentry.com/

Comment

We use only urethane sealants, with a preference on the company Sonneborn, using their one part NP1. 99% of our installs are retrofit into masonry openings.

Comment

Tim,
              I've had pretty good success with this one.I have a test bead on an unpainted piece of plywood hanging by my shop for over 3 yrs and it still looks great.
              Rich

http://www.stickwithpl.com/Products....Siding-Sealant

Comment

No offense but “Shame on you” The caulk more than likely did not shrink and pull away.
                The material moved and the caulk did not have the capability to move that far.
                If you caulk a joint that is 1/8” wide and the material moves 1/8” that is 100% joint movement. There are not many “caulks “ that can perform to that range of movement and DAP sure isn’t one of them.
                The guarantee of 35 years: if you have any problems with this caulk in 35 years just cut off the UPC off the tube and provide the receipt and we will send you a replacement tube to use to your hearts content
                I use urethane such as Vulkem, NP1, or Ultra as Biljac suggested

Biljac
                For caulking around an opening, brick to window. I use Sonneborn Ultra. It is formulated to resist UV and has antiyellowing agents, this eliminates the need to paint it to protect the caulk

Carpenter
                All caulk should be tooled to force it in the joint to some extent. If you hold the tip right, and cut it properly, a lot of the tooling will be done as you apply it.
                3/8” joint is about right if you figure a 1/8” movement, that is what you will see as a minimum in most areas on a residential building where siding meets corner or window, then you have the 30% range of joint movement that most urethanes perform to, plus or minus.
                A good rule of thumb is the surface of the caulk should be at least twice as wide as it is deep.
                Dap is a reasonable painters caulk but I would not use it in an exterior siding application

I could go on for quite a while here. If you get the tech sheets for vulkem or sonneborn they will tell a lot also if you go look at some good commercial caulking applications and talk to some of the guys that do it all day every day they can really shed some light on the subject

Mark

Kreg
                Azek not azteck. :)

Please don’t check my spelling
                Mark Parlee
                BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                EDI Seminar Instructor
                Level one thermographer (Snell)
                www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

pl works just like np
                  both great products

ps dont check my grammer or spelling
                  why cant my fingers type as fast as my brain thinks?
                  Last edited by phillip; 01-10-2006, 05:03 AM.
                  Beware of the man whose belly does not shake when he laughs

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee
                    For caulking around an opening, brick to window. I use Sonneborn Ultra. It is formulated to resist UV and has antiyellowing agents, this eliminates the need to paint it to protect the caulk
                    Mark,

Are you refering to the "Ultra White"? We were using this when we used white clad windows but most of our installs get painted black for historical reasons. We had gotten quite a few complaints when using the ultra though, mostly because of the odor (xylene I believe) of the anti-yellowing agents. Also we saw some leeching of the color of the brownstone into the ultra if the brownstone was refinished.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee
                      Kreg
                      Azek not azteck. :)
                      Mark,

thank you but the stuff I bought came from mexico that's why I called it azteck......LOL (just kidding).
                      Kreg
                      www.builtinking.com
                      youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
                      if you do not have fun every day... why?
                      get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
                      remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Biljac
                        I am referring to Ultra by Sonneborn, it has improved properties over NP1
                        www.chemrex.com/documents/ult_tdg.PDF

Kreg
                        I was going to pursue that line in my last post but didn’t, now you beat me to it

Mark
                        Last edited by Mark Parlee; 01-10-2006, 06:02 PM.
                        Mark Parlee
                        BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                        EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                        EDI Seminar Instructor
                        Level one thermographer (Snell)
                        www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                        You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Thanks Mark,

I'm going to call my supplier tommorow.

Bill

Comment

first just to confirm it azek will move with temp.the shorter the peice the less it will move,second we have been using sidewinder caulk it is very flexable and sticks great and can be aplied as cold as you are willing to work.

tom d
                            Tom D.

more tools please.

Comment

Brand is important but not as important as the type of caulk/sealant you select.

The attached PDF shows the properties of the most common sealants. The chart was prepared for marine use but it is still useful.

The choices are not easy; there is no perfect sealant. I always avoid acrylic for exterior use including any acrylic mixes such as silicone/acyrlic. All tests I have seen rate them poorly.

Dap does not reveal the composition of its Sidewinder sealant on its web site or in its advertising except to say it is an advanced polymer formula. Elsewhere, others mention that it contains silicone or rubber, so I would assume it is one of the endless varieties of silicone/acrylic mixes that seem to arrive on the market every month. Be very careful about believing what the manufacturer says about this material — find an independent test before using it.

The best elastomeric raw materials are expensive therefore the cheaper sealants are often of lower quality, loose their flexibility faster and fail much sooner.

Here is Kolbe & Kolbe's recomendations for sealant in window installation:
                              "Acrylic -(Latex & solvent based) are not recommended by Kolbe and Kolbe since they have poor movement rating, often short life expectancy and become very stiff and brittle with age.
                              [Modified] Silicone sealants (acrylic, latex) have only a little silicone added, and usually retain most of the disadvantages of latex."
                              http://www.kolbe-kolbe.com/files/ins...nformation.pdf
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Sweep8; 01-15-2006, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X