Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

trex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trex

Anybody have pro or con opinions on 5/4 Trex decking. Any color shading problems between 12's, 16's and 20"'s. Also removing scratch marks on the grain version . Thanks, Ed

Re: trex

nope trex looks good. however it does fad somewhat from the sun, duh. but make sure you follow the spacing recomm. on the joist, so boards stay stiff.

kreg
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

I have built plenty of decks with Trex and it has held up quite well.
      Like any other decking product it still has to be maintained from time to time.
      http://www.ridgelineconstruct.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridgel...6262115?v=wall

Comment

mlandry,
        how do you fasten your trex? I have been asked about a couple of differnet ways and have read the brochures but have not setteled on a way yet. I have tried screws and was a bit disappointed with the mushroom effect that you get. Having to pound down a thousand little bumps made a ugly mess I thought. I have not tried some of the new screws that are not supposed to cause that so was wondering is those really make a difference. One brand is TrapEase I think.

have not read the brochure for w while but I think that simply gun nailing it down was not recommended. And I have not used any of the hidden fastener systems so know nothing about them either.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Comment

Ed

I had problems with Trex last summer. I had to order and return the equivalentof 2 decks because the boards showed-up so stained. The dealer and Trex told me to just "wash it off" --not possible.

I don't do a lot of decks but I'll never their product again.

tim
          Nothing simple is ever easy

Comment

I'm doing a 500sq ft deck and this is the first one with Trex. I've used other brands, but my supplier stopped stocking Epoch decking because of problems with staining and scratching. Most composites I've found will do this unless you spend a little more for something like profection deck or correctdeck.
            Had to return my 12' pcs. for 16'.
            Trex agreed to pay the difference to my supplier because of a shading difference, seems this is common with composites that are partially made of wood. First they (Trex) told me to tell the customer that everything will fade the same eventually, but telling a customer that after selling the job and ready to install doesnt work.
            Beezo,
            the trapease are the best if you dont want to predrill, but the heads are smaller and maybe dont have the same holding power. Ed

Comment

Has anyone used the trim head deck screw by GRK?
              http://www.grkfasteners.com/stainless_steel.htm How do they look on a Trex deck? And to ask the same as a previous question, what type of screws or hidden system are most used?
              Bernard Engineering & Construction, LLC

Comment

Don't use anything except Trapeze when using trex they do the job and hold very well with no mushrooming

Mark
                Mark Parlee
                BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                EDI Seminar Instructor
                Level one thermographer (Snell)
                www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

One way I have used is to countersink square drive stainless steel screws,but that is very time consuming.Now I use the Trapease screws with good results.
                  http://www.ridgelineconstruct.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridgel...6262115?v=wall

Comment

I have used trex and had issues with color and shading. I really like timbertek.

I have always predrilled for screws b/c of mushrooming; but have never tried Trapease. I have tried others 'with no mushrooming' and have never been satisfied.

I also have never had a client willing to pay for any hidden system, I priced out the TRex recommended one and it was off the map even for the 1000ft2 + deck we built. Predrilling goes fast enough with 2 drills and a speedsquare. I would never nail off a composite decking.
                    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
                    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Dave

I hope you get some of the screws and try them out. I'll bet that you will be satisfied with them

mark
                      Mark Parlee
                      BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                      EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                      EDI Seminar Instructor
                      Level one thermographer (Snell)
                      www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                      You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Next deck I do I will give them a try...
                        “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
                        Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Ed,
                          I used 5/4 Trex on a 1500 square foot deck several months ago. Big mistake that I won't make again. I'm getting ready to start a 1200 square foot deck in several weeks and I didn't even offer 5/4 as an option. 2X looks worlds better, holds screws better and is much stiffer, all that for less than 40 cents a square foot difference in material costs. I told my lumber salesman to do his customers a favor and never sell another piece of 5/4.
                          We use a Muro screwgun with Torx trimhead stainless 3" screws. The Muro allows us to shoot screws while standing and do it very quickly. It can be adjusted so that the screwhead is out of sight but still has plenty of holding power.
                          As far as I can tell the color makes no difference at all. Here in south Florida it all bleaches white in a month or so anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X