Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Advanced Carpentry Skill List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Carpentry Skill List

We've been scratching our heads over what might constitute a skill list that distinguishes a senior carpenter or a master carpenter from everyone else. This would be for a person concentrating specifically on developing as a hands-on carpenter and isn't interested in becoming a "lead." Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Advanced Carpentry Skill List

Steven,

this is a very interesting question but I think the possible answers are so many that I don't know if you'll ever get what you need.

are you in remodeling or new or both?

is this for a wanted ad or an internal training book?

I think the approach I'd take would be to look at a typical job for me, break down its components, and define the skills needed to complete each phase. If your man or woman can say they have each skill in their pocket, there you go.

best, GO

Comment

HI Steve,
      If you check with NAHB I'm sure one of their books have lists but it will be primarly for a builder. Essentially every company needs to work out the skills list for themselves. I have one that I worked out with another company. If you cantact me through my email I can give you more info.

Comment

Steve,I spent many years in business and several
        in teaching and I found that a test was a valuable tool to assess future employees and students. Some employers will hire anyone and give them an opportunity to sink or swim. The first job I got right out of school fit into that category. The first year I was there(out of twelve) the supt. fired over fifty guys.There were 10-12 framers. You either made it or you didn't and you didn't have alot of time to make a positive impression. The method was successful but it left alot of collateral damage with fellas, who given a more patient approach, could have been good tradesmen.After seeing that approach I determined that it wouldn't work for me.When I went into business I spent alot of time interviewing new employees and trying to ask all the right questions and usually getting all the right answers. What I found out was that seldom did I encounter applicants that would outright lie to me but that more often than not the interview involved two well intentioned people thinking different things.For instance."Can you frame a gable roof? Sure can. In my mind I envision the fella with framing square,tape and saw laying out and assembling.the whole thing.Often it meant that given unlimited time and material he would get something in place but not in an efficient or workmanlike manner.Far more informative to provide a framing square,tape,sketch of a small shed with a cornice and ridge detail and give him a rip of 5&1/2" cardboard and let him lay it out.You knew real quick if the ability was what you expected. It was also an opportunity to educate the new recruit. The most difficult person to teach is the one who knows it all. If you can lead them to an understanding of your expectations and their ability to meet them it makes for a good start. So--, I tried to envision in my mind many of the tasks I needed to have done and created a series of Questions and practical exercises that would be informative for both employer and employee. It always worked. The other thing that is difficult to determine in an interview is character and integrity. I always finished the interview and test with a statement yhat went something like this. "We've" talked about alot and made some real life commitments during the past hour. Despite whats been said, if you come to work for me you will know within a week or two whether I've told you the truth and vice versa. More than one guy never showed up.Investment in a person of character always reaps reward.

Comment

Very good thoughts Norm. Testing is critical both for management skills and tech. skills. Often the employer is in a hurry to hire someone and then anyone looks good. A lot of money has gone down the hole with this practice. Hiring should be done before the need arises for a future need. This of course rtequires projecting need. Which of course require forethought. But a little time spent up front will indeed save money in the long run.

Comment

Master carpenters, in the craft tradition I was brought up in, possessed the hand tools and carpentry skills to proficiently perform all carpentry tasks necessary to build a complete home. Everything from laying out the building lines on batter boards to fixing a 'hinge bit’ door including anticipating the needs of the various specialty trades (and recovering from their collateral damage). The saying was "from a bare patch of dirt with a pile of lumber and a blueprint".

Now in these days of specialization and with the availability of so many pre-assembled components (trusses, pre-hung doors, cabinets, etc.) whether all that knowledge and skill needs to reside in one person can be debated. My experience as a custom builder and remodeler is that it's critical to have someone in the company who can perform and teach all those skills. From stick building a portion of a roof to site-building the odd cabinet or bookcase we regularly make use of the master carpenters skills on our projects. In between I find their respect of and care for the tools and materials a good influence on all our workers.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
            X