Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Issues with architect-no HVAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with architect-no HVAC

We are building a custom home and once our plans were submitted to county for approval we hired our builder. There have been some major errors our architect made thus far such as designing a driveway only 18ft wide (we would not be able to get into garage), moving the position of our house without our knowledge and the latest is he never designed the house with an HVAC. Due to no HVAC in mind with the design of the home, our builder has been having to go back to find where to put the ducts and the systems. He finally presented a system that would have 1st floor vents on the ceiling-the issue is most of our great room is pitched to the 2nd floor so the heat would go straight up and we would be left with a cold room. Further, I told my architect we wanted vents on our floors (I have it in email as well). The major issue is now the builder has to go back in, take out the floor joists and excavate and dig in order to get an under floor system. This will cost an additional $10-$12K. The architect is not taking any responsibility for this. To note he did design two homes next to us with a similar floor plan but "remembered" to keep the design in mind with an HVAC system, their vents are on the floor. Shouldn't he be responsible for this?

You must consider all options before making a final decision....Then you will know how to proceed.

Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

Jean, this is a peer to peer forum for construction professionals and we don't engage in commenting on disputes between builders, architects, clients or any other parties.

Having said that, the purpose of contracts is precisely to establish who is responsible for what, when and how. So to answer your question: I don't know Jean, what does your contract say?

Comment

Every once in a while I'm reminded why I quit architecture for an easier job that pays more. Like right now.
        When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I am a little suspicious No one at the plan review stage or any of the builders you asked to bid the job said "you know there is no HVAC on these plans?" Besides the architect being aspleep it must be everyone that looked at the plans was too.

Comment

No energy code in local building code? I look at suing the person/ government that granted the permit with/out any HVAC.

Are you paying cash for the home? What crazy banker signed off on a Jumbo Note for a home with out Air Conditioning?

What 10 cent builder didn't notice the lack of a Furnace and AC on his Bill of materials??

Sounds like everyone you hired road the "short" bus with you to the "special school? or just the low bidders?

Comment

Fouth, welcome to the forum. Please tell us a bit about yourself.

Please check the date before posting, this thread is almost a year old. Also, as a construction pro you should be aware that you cannot sue "the person/ government that granted the permit". There are statutes expressly prohibiting it.

Comment

Working...
              X