Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Electric stove connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric stove connection

Is it a code requirement that electric stoves connect with a plug to a receptacle or can they be hardwired? I'm responding to a question from a friend's tenant. Never heard of such a thing. My usual response is "show me where it says that".

I have no idea what code is but most free standing units I see connected with a plug to an outlet. Maybe a stove top that is installed in a countertop or island might be hardwired since it cannot really be pulled out to get that cooking spoon that fell behind the stove.

Comment

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
      (B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
      included in the listing or labeling.

Manufacturer's directions and setup determines what can be done, as you are not allowed to modify an approved device. So, for example, most dishwashers and disposers can be either hard wired or plug-in, as long as the manufacturer offers those options.
      In general, free standing is plug-in and built-in is hardwired.

https://products.geappliances.com/ap...ontentId=22147

The hardwired appliance will lack a means of disconnecting, which means it will require a lockout capable breaker.

Friend's tenant should keep fingers away from any electrical devices and let landlord hire a competent electrician for all appliance wiring needs.

Comment

That's a lot of the problem. Idiots messing with ****. Plus my friends too cheap to replace the Zinsco panel. I'm working on him.
        How y'all been? JLC's sure not what it used to be.

Comment

BTW, did find out that NEC 422 requires a disconnect such as a plug and receptacle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark G View Post
            BTW, did find out that NEC 422 requires a disconnect such as a plug and receptacle.
            I think the circuit breaker counts as the disconnect for appliances.

And no lockout required if breaker is "within sight" of appliance.

Comment

Yes, that's right but not always practical. I will "encourage" my friend to let me put in a receptacle.

Comment

Working...
              X