Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

eCabinet Systems vs Cabinet Vision Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eCabinet Systems vs Cabinet Vision Software

Hey Guys,

I posted a question a couple of weeks ago as to the least expensive software to purchase for someone just making the jump to the computer. I was told that eCabinet Systems was free and it would be good to get a start on before going to purchase more expensive software.

I like the fact that it's free and was promptly mailed to me, but I'm finding it hard to understand, not very intuitive and no tech support. I'm about to throw in the towel on it and have been looking at software alternatives. Plan It makes 'Cabinet Vision', 'Cabinet Builder' and 'Kitchen Builder'. I was wondering if any of you have experience with these (or others) and could give me an idea of pricing. (I can't find pricing for these on their website). It also appears that they have good tech support.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

buildfine

Re: eCabinet Systems vs Cabinet Vision Software

Fear not. . . With just a bit more practice and remembering that this software costs nothing. . . spend as much time and money as you like learning it. In short time you make pretty pictures with great cutlists as well. . .

http://www.josephfusco.org/Junk_Draw...aro-01_268.gif
    http://www.josephfusco.com/Zin_34.jpg
    www.josephfusco.org
    www.constructionforumsonline.com

Comment

No tech support? Have you tried the user forum? It's accessible from right within the program. Responses are usually quick from other users and from the Thermwood team. Also they offer training at venues around the US. When you say "for someone just making the jump to the computer" could you be more specific? What other applications do you use? What do you want to accomplish - design, cutlists, customer presentations?

Pricing on the alternatives you mentioned are in the thousands and I doubt they would be any easier to learn. Also you pay for user support and software updates.

Comment

Glenn,

Thanks. I took a look at the menu again. Under 'Communication' there is a pulldown for 'Feedback'. I guess this the support you were talking about. Let me know if there's another place I should go.

The particular problem I'm having is that I'm unable to open files I've worked on. Even though I see the file in a folder or on the desktop it won't open. When I pull down to 'Open', it takes me to the screen 'What would you like to do', where I click on 'Open an existing job'. I see a dialog box open up that says that it is 'Loading' the file, then on top of that appears 'Generating Cost Data'. Then the screen goes white and returns to the 'What would you like to do?' screen. It's an endless loop.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

In the help section you will find "ecabinets made easy" This is somewhat like a tutorial. It will take you through the steps to build and modify your cabinets. Also in the help menu is "ecabinets website" there is a tab for the forums. It takes some getting used to but once you get it it's really a great program.
          Lamar

Comment

I have used Cabinet Vision for years. It is a powerful tool for designing and building cabinets. I think we paid about 4000 for our licence and another 700 per year for tech support. I have become somewhat disillusioned with it over the years because I was always waiting on the next build of the software to fix a bug in the current version. It is annoying paying 700 a year to feel like I beta test software. The tech support for CV is Forum based. You can call and get help but usually it just means waiting for the next build to fix the new bug. The forum is really good and the users who subscribe are really helpful. I have never had an issue that someone else hadn't already been through. I like Forums for that reason. I see that ecabinets seems to have a good forum too. I am taking a close look at ecabinets for our company. I am inspired by their business model.
            Daniel S. Bell
            Belbuilt, LLC
            Cabinet Installation Medford, Oregon
            http://www.belbuilt.com

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback.

The eCabinet Tech did get back to me via email regarding the problem I was having. I guess there are two different ways to save: a cabinet and a job. That's cleared up now.

I went ahead and downloaded the eCabinet Systems pdf. Like you all said you just have to sit down and spend time learning the program.

Thanks again,

buildfine

Comment

From the ecabs program, click on help, then ecab website and once you get to the website click on ecabinets forum. This is primarily a member to member exchange but the Thermwood folks do chime in regularly. If you are having a problem with a particular cabinet or room layout, it can be attached to the verbal post for other members to open and look at. One of the most efficient, polite, and helpful software forums that I know of.

Comment

I have spent offtime hours for a week now, learning eCabs from scratch, and am having good success. I have successfully built a "seed" model of every type of cabinet I could imagine using, for kitchens, baths, and bookcase cabinetry.

The issues I had in understanding things got addressed either by the online documentation, the excellent forum that Thermwood has, and by direct communication with people at HQ.

I was surprised that there was no way the software directly addressed one thing we do regularly, which is to have a stack of two or more roll-out-trays in base cabinets and tall pantries. Furthermore, there was no direct way to have the hardware holes be modeled for two different mount patterns of the same slide model, something we have in every basecab with pullout trays behind doors, below a top drawer.

Fortunately, there are workarounds for both situations, and everything is working great.

BTW, my profile may have bogus information, and that must make all my posts suspect. There are some hard core yo-yos ripping up some newbies for asking help, making themselves look like fools in the process.

Comment

Working...
                  X