Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

3 hp+ router, PC or Milwaukee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 hp+ router, PC or Milwaukee?

Hi all, I have a Bosch router, 2 1/4hp, I ran it nonstop for about 15+ minutes, with 1/4" radius bit, it worked just fine. An hour after that, I found out that the motor didn't fit in both of the fix and plunge bases. The next day, it still didn't fit in the bases. I had to grinded the bases to make it fit and now it is no acurate.
    Any way, I need a biger router, and I think of using under the table with the Jessem lift. Do you have any experience with any of them?
    Thanks
    tunglecarpenter

Re: 3 hp+ router, PC or Milwaukee?

Seems like PC rules routers for the most part.
    www.telianconstruction.com
    Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship. - Zeuxis, 400 B.C.

Comment

I have the PC 7518 mounted in a Woodpeckers router lift with an Eliminator chuck, a wonderful combination. Try and buy the motor alone if you go that route. This is a terrible router to mount by itself under a table by itself (regardless of what you've read) because sawdust gets in the spiral grooves and jams the router in its base, even with a vacuum fence. With a lift and the ability to pop bits out with a T-handled allen wrench, it's pure heaven. A cheaper route might be the Milwaukee or other type which has some router lift capability built in, though.

Comment

I have an older 3hp PC, it has never failed me. I would recommend the PC.

Comment

another for PC here

Comment

My PC7518 just recently ran a little over 1000 ft of shiplap decking (both treated and untreated). Afterwards, I carried it outside and (God forbid) washed it out with a water hose because of the buildup from the ACQ. That was about a month ago and it still runs just fine and accurate as ever.
            Brad

You will never stand taller than when kneeling to help a child.

Comment

Tungle,
              I have the PC 7518 in this table.
              http://www.jessem.com/mast_r_lift_excel.htm
              Plenty of power to run any bit I put in it.The lift and micro adjust dial will make you wonder why you struggled with any other kind of router table. It's really great for tweaking the fit on stile and rail cuts etc. This set up is a bit spendy but well worth it. No regrets here.
              Rich

Comment

If you looking for freehand work, I'd suggest taking a good look at the DeWalt DW625. I have the Elu 3339 clone and it's a really nice router. It's only drawback is that the distance the collet extends into the base is a little short at times for use in the table.

For the table, I'd look at the big Milwaukee.

Mike

Comment

for the table i intend to get that new freud with the above table adjustment and the the collet can also be raised high enough to do changes from above .
                  when i went looking at kits the portacables i got my hands on all had wiggly plunge bases .I try to buy the tool ,not the brand .

Comment

I have 7 PC routers with no regrets.

tom d
                    Tom D.

more tools please.

Comment

I have the PC 7518. I use it for trimming my decks. Plows thru pt pine like it was butter.

Brian

Comment

I think the PC 7518 would be hard to beat in a table. I'm curious about the Bosch 1617 2 1/4 hp router tunglecarpenter spoke of. I've had that fixed/plunge kit for about 3 yrs. now and have used it for hours on end and never had a problem like you described. It sounds like your saying the motor housing got too hot and warped somehow. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?
                        Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
                        This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

that's what i got out of it as well.. but i've not heard of anyone i know having ever experiencing.. and w/ endless hours of fluting housefuls of windows and mantles seems it might of come up if was common problem..

Comment

How many times did you drop it on the floor before this happened? Just kidding.
                            I don't get it. Mine has worked fine for 3 yrs.
                            Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
                            This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

Originally posted by kaisermj View Post
                              If you looking for freehand work, I'd suggest taking a good look at the DeWalt DW625. I have the Elu 3339 clone and it's a really nice router. It's only drawback is that the distance the collet extends into the base is a little short at times for use in the table.

For the table, I'd look at the big Milwaukee.

Mike
                              I like the DW625 and picked one up for routing 5/8" od radiant heat tube into plywood. It lasted for a couple hundred feet of groves with intermittant use and something in the windings melted and oozed out gumming up the motor. I traded it for a new one and haven't had problems. It's decent for a 15 amp free hand plung router.

For a while reconditioned 625s were less than $200. Perhaps my problem was the reason for so many reconditioned units?

Comment

Working...
                              X