Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Is anyone familiar with Swanstone solid surface walls for bathtub/shower walls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone familiar with Swanstone solid surface walls for bathtub/shower walls?

I have an old 1920’s home/bathroom that I’m remodeling with the old cast iron bathtub with skirt. It is against 2 walls. I want to put Swanstone on those 2 walls. I already have greenboard up and I know I have to prime walls before Swanstone goes up. The tub measures 30.5 inches wide, 66.5 inches deep and the height of wall above tub is 75 inches. The lip of the side of tub (66.5) is up against the green board so when I install Swanstone which is only ¼ inch thick – this will be the only overhang along side of tub. Of course there is some settling from the foot of the tub towards the head there is a slight dip.

My questions are. (1) With what I have, can someone please tell me the best way to ensure great looking walls taking into considerations the dip(s) in the floor (how to measure for this), and maybe using something to transition from tub to Swanstone walls? My worries are the corners and top seam my not butt/line correctly because of the unleveled floor. (2) I’m not sure if there is a slight gap in the corner seam when I’m done if there is a product besides caulk to hide the imperfections and more importantly, prevent moisture from penetrating those imperfections. (3) I don’t like the idea of the ¼ inch overhang along the side of the tub so I thought of a transition piece may work but I don’t know what’s out there.

I’m creating a groutless bathroom and it’s going to look stunning when I’m done. (4) The walls are going to be beadboard with a chair rail molding – any suggestions transitioning beadboard to Swanstone also?

Those are my 4 questions. Thank you…

Brian

Re: Is anyone familiar with Swanstone solid surface walls for bathtub/shower walls?

Stunning without tile? Don't think so.

Swanstone, Lifestone .. have installed enought of both to tell you its nice stuff and serves it's purpose, but it will not set your bath apart from a beautifully tiled bath. We did a few 20’s era baths and never use solid surface material. It was not what they used in the 20’s

Rip out the tub and reset it level.

As for green board, I know swantsone approves it, but if you want a wall to feel solid use something more substantial. The swanstone surface itself is waterproof but not the inside corners, so don’t expect the inside corner bead is going to waterproof them.

Swanstone has all the transition, corner accessories etc… but don’t think they will make up for out of plumb, out of level walls, tubs etc..

You can cut the solid surface material to make up for slightly out of plumb/level. But if you never did work like this I would call a pro to do it. If you make a mistake it will cost you a full panel or more. You will probably end up spending more than if you hired someone to do it.

Comment

Re: Is anyone familiar with Swanstone solid surface walls for bathtub/shower walls?

i agree with gary. swanstone is functional but by no means would i consider it stunning. it is easy to clean, easy to maintain and easy to keep waterproof. as far as the installation goes it is easy if you know what you are doing and you have the right tools. but like gary said, if you mess it up it is a few hundred dollars to replace a single panel, the color of the new panel may not match the 1st one which you already secured to the wall and you more then likely will be without a shower for an additional 3-6 weeks depending on your supplyer
      Brad

Comment

oh by the way, i hate the corner trim peices, i think they look so tacky, personally i prefer a nice tite even corner with silicone.
        Brad

Comment

I appreciate this feedback. When I'm done it's going to look like wainscoting and I prefer this over tile. Everyone uses tile and I love working with tile - tile is where you become very creative... I want to achieve something different here - but appreciate the feedback anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bjferri View Post
            (1) With what I have, can someone please tell me the best way to ensure great looking walls taking into considerations the dip(s) in the floor (how to measure for this), and maybe using something to transition from tub to Swanstone walls?
            Does the swanstone go from floor to ceiling? The ones i've done using it there was a seam. If it doesn't, just fit the sides (you'll have a little play, the other pieces will cover in the corners) then put some blue tape on the bottom and scribe it.

(2) I’m not sure if there is a slight gap in the corner seam when I’m done if there is a product besides caulk to hide the imperfections and more importantly, prevent moisture from penetrating those imperfections.
            There is color matched caulk, but it looks like crap IMO, because the swanstone isn't a solid color. You have too get it perfect (good luck with that). I always had to fit it several times to get it right.
            (3) I don’t like the idea of the ¼ inch overhang along the side of the tub so I thought of a transition piece may work but I don’t know what’s out there.
            I used a tile border.

I’m creating a groutless bathroom and it’s going to look stunning when I’m done.
            Good luck with that. ;)
            (4) The walls are going to be beadboard with a chair rail molding – any suggestions transitioning beadboard to Swanstone also?
            I've never done it, so no advice there

Those are my 4 questions. Thank you…
            You're welcome
            Last edited by WarriorWithWood; 08-25-2007, 03:20 PM.
            -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Comment

Thanks for the "tile border" tip - I was looking at some today. I think they only come in only 12 inch sections. These were the ideas/tips I was looking for. I'm going to look at floor threshold material next which I think may work - at least I can get the size I'm looking for. I guess this is where the creativity comes into play.

Comment

My attention has been on our 250,000 acre wild fire raging a few miles away from home. I really should have cut this post off at the beginning: it is almost as painful as dealing with a carpet question.

No offense to bjferri, but why did you not contact the mfg.?

To the regulars onboard, I will try to pay more attention to "foreign matter" that belongs elsewhere.

Comment

Hi Michael,

I hope you, your family, and your property will be safe!
                  John Koessler
                  Koessler Enterprises

Comment

John -
                    Thanks for your good wishes. Amazingly enough, no lives were lost in spite of: 1 truck going off the road and down a 200-foot cliff and 1 helicopter crash. Only one building was lost (this should give you an idea of the remote nature of our area.) As of today, the fire is officially declared fully contained. A google of "zaca fire" will provide more info.

Thanks again!

Comment

We regularly install solid surface shower walls, the only difference is that we use formica brand 1/2" material. The best way to do them and fit all of the curves of the tub or any dips in the wall is to template all of the pieces. Use either thin strips of 1/4" material hot glued together, or solid sheets of cardboard.

Once you have all of the parts templated, put your back wall up. When you put your side walls up, if there's gaps in them despite the template you can use either a suction cup, or hot glue a block to the surface to give you hand holds to pull parts to where they need to be, then hot glue a block in the corner to hold it in place until the silicon dries and holds it all put. Although, if you do your template right there shouldn't be any problem with this.

I personally don't like the look of different corner molding either, though I've never really checked out swanstones. Most of them make an expensive product look like a cheap fiberglass surround to me. Just a personal preference though. What does work great in the corners though is translucent white silicone. It doesn't show small gaps like clear does, and it picks up the color from either side and makes it all blend together nice.

Comment

Originally posted by magna111 View Post
                        oh by the way, i hate the corner trim peices, i think they look so tacky, personally i prefer a nice tite even corner with silicone.
                        Agreed. I have only done one and that was my only complaint. They are very tacky. But if one of your walls is even slightly off, that tight seam in the corner is not easily achieved.
                        -Sean

Comment

Working...
                        X