Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

airkrete insulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airkrete insulation

Has anyone every used or seen this used.

http://www.airkrete.com/

It is a cementitious insulation. I am working on a whole house remodel and the client asked me to look into it as a wall insulation on the project in lieu of fiberglass or spray foam. I have looked around for feedback on this product but all I can find on the internet is the manufacturers data. If anyone has any experience with this product please let me know. Thanks,

Keith

Re: airkrete insulation

Keith, One of my gigs is as an insulation contractor and because my eyes are always "open", I have looked into air-krete somewhat and I will offer what I know.

I first saw this product in the early nineties at a show in Philadelphia. About 4-5 years ago I went to their "headquarters" in New York State. The product is very impressive from the fire resistance standpoint. You can hold a torch to it for hours and you would be hard pressed to feel any retained heat in the foam. It simply will not burn nor smoke. The product must be installed in a closed cavity. In new const., that means you have to install a barrier on the inside of the wall cavity to contain the material. You also have to install it under somewhat controlled temp. conditions. Because it is blended with water you have to keep temp. above freezing. The material does not develop a hard surface like 2 lb. density polyurethane foam. The density can be adjusted if you like but that does affect R-value somewhat. I know that it does get used in applications where clients wish to fill the void between brick or stone veneer and the wall sheathing. The product does not outgas anything harmful. The foam does not act as a vapor retarder and will hold water. The manufacturer claims that if the foam does get wet, it will dry and perform as previously. I believe that it should not be used in contact with any unprotected steel as it has a mildly corrosive affect.The product also has excellent sound absorption qualities.

All in all , it is an interesting material. It has been used in several large govt. buildings. The product does fit the current "green" craze very well. From my standpoint, the worst feature is that it will absorb water. If,however, it dries out in a timely manner and performs without degradation,this should not be an issue of tremendous concern.

If your customers are dead set on it then I suggest you call the guys who run the company. They are very friendly and will offer whatever info. you might be looking for.

Perhaps Martin Holladay can comment.
    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

bump. Any more info?

Comment

I'm still out of the country, but when I get back to NYC (next week), I can put you in touch with a guy who's been installing it for years. I don't have his contact info with me, here...
        Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Cool. I've been trading emails with the company, there's no installers in AU....

hmmm...

Comment

Keith, Eli - guy's name is Joe. He does a lot of work for the city, retro-fitting for fire prevention, in city housing. He does other insulations as well, so he's objective about airkrete, not trying to over-sell it... Cool guy, spent hours on the phone explaining all the pros & cons.

His info:

JOSEPH JACINTO
            1 800 675 1660
            FEDERAL CONSERVATION GROUP
            OR
            [email protected]

He's based out of Amytiville, in Long Island, but last time I talked to him (about a year ago), he was heading down to Louisiana for a big project; so he's willing to travel, if the project's worth it.
            Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Working...
            X