Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

framing nailer advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: framing nailer advice

Beez - I too do a lot of varied work so I ended up with the Max full round head - 21 deg plastic nails. Ideal remodeling gun. Only 7 lbs - 12" hgt- fits in tight places. Only moderate recoil compared to other guns. Excellent for me as I work off of ladders, open sub floors....etc.

Looks like there are some dealers near you. Go in and do a demo. I think most of these places have a free trial period.

http://www.maxusacorp.com/product_de...ctcode=KN95222

Sal - with all do respect I tried the PC Mag and the recoil was significant and it is a big gun. Hitachi, Pasload are great new work guns but the Max is the best remodel gun imo. Have not tried the cordless. Pasload was just coming out when I got my Max.
    Last edited by Happy Home; 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

Like Steve (happy home) I do lots of varied work. My PC crap led out on me. Found the Max super framer referred to for a good price on amazon. I love the compact design and light weight.
      "Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. " - William Faulkner

Comment

I bought a PC FR350 when they first came out. At the time they were about $100 less than the Senco I was looking at. I had it for one afternoon before bringing it back and getting the Senco. I couldn't keep the darn thing from double-firing! Of course that was almost 15 years ago, so hopefully they have improved them since then. Looks exactly the same, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Home View Post
          Beez - I too do a lot of varied work so I ended up with the Max full round head - 21 deg plastic nails. Ideal remodeling gun. Only 7 lbs - 12" hgt- fits in tight places. Only moderate recoil compared to other guns. Excellent for me as I work off of ladders, open sub floors....etc.

Looks like there are some dealers near you. Go in and do a demo. I think most of these places have a free trial period.

http://www.maxusacorp.com/product_de...ctcode=KN95222

Sal - with all do respect I tried the PC Mag and the recoil was significant and it is a big gun. Hitachi, Pasload are great new work guns but the Max is the best remodel gun imo. Have not tried the cordless. Pasload was just coming out when I got my Max.
          have not looked at your link but I was under the impression that the Max was a system that needed the high pressure compressor and such. If that is true then I would not be interested.

Comment

My vote goes foor the Hitachi stick framer. I don't do much framing any more but it always works when I need it. Mine is 25 years old and has had one overhaul (just o-rings).
            Bruce B.

If it takes me twice as long to build something, does that make it "Half Fast" ?

Comment

Beez,

Max has two types of nailers, high pressure to be used with a high pressure compressor, and standard guns operated at a psi of about 120. The link Steve gave and the gun I have are standard guns. No high pressure compressor or any type of system to buy into.
              "Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. " - William Faulkner

Comment

Beezo,

Max does have a high pressure system but most of their guns run on just a regular compressor.

Comment

Thought that all the Max guns were the high pressure systems. Will take a look at them also.

Comment

Fun subject. This is an ongoing argument at my place of employment.

Two out of the three "older guys" refuse to see any value in the gas powered. The one dissenter still prefers to use pneumatic for himself but clearly sees the time/convenience advantage the gas guns provide.

I work at multiple job sites all week and I have to be lean mean and ready for everything. Pneumatic is nearly dead to me.

I have a base model Hitachi compressor. It will regularly run two roof guns, but this week I was forced to use it for a partial basement frame out. We have the newer Paslode pneumatic and every third nail on bump fire would not sink. Probably the compressor, but even if I would have gained one second per stud over the gas, all of that time was lost to set up take down and hand sinking the shiners.

If you run fast small jobs; garage additions, basements, bathrooms, etc. The gas is the way to go. Home Depot will sell their rentals at cut rate.

Comment

Hitachi NR83 stick all the way. There's the reason its the standard. I'm not happy about where hitachi has gone with tools lately, seem to be going the way of the dewalt, but the hitachi stick framer is like the old Dewalt 744 - its just right.

Compressor? No biggie. If you are not doing production framing, use a little pancake or finish gun compressor. Frankly, the high pressure porter cable pancake runs things almost as well as my back breaking beast.

Why air? Nails are cheaper. Gas is MUCH cheaper (zero). Seems to work better. And I have yet to experience a job site where some sort of air is necessary. Ok, if you have cordless everything, but just put a lightweight roofing hose on a little pancake compressor, and you have a really portable solution - weighs less than my bag of Dewalt 18v cordless, its just not an issue

Comment

oh, and never have sinking problems with the pancakes - tank runs at 150, so with regulator at 120 or so you don't get the end of cycle issues. Great concept.

Comment

I may get crap for this but ...................
                          I have the Bostitch N88WW1 which is a 28° collation with wire welded nails (WW) I also have the 21° version. With both of these I have a back-up gun just in case but have never needed it to replace the bostitch, just used when two of us were framing and needed to use the same nail packs.
                          I would make sure what is accepted locally before choosing. Many of the 28° guns only shoot clipped or "D" head nails and are not accepted here. The N88WW1 has nails available that have the offset round head and I like the wire collation. The 21° guns use paper or plastic collation. Can't stand the debris from the plastic collation though. If you are nailing roof sheathing, it can get downright sketchy stepping on that stuff.
                          I have had the N88WW1 for a dozen years now and have never rebuilt it. I don't use it all the time, as like you, I am all over the place as far as job tasks.

Phil
                          It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Another vote for the Hitachi NR83. I think the A only goes up to 3-1/4 and they came out with another one recently that shoots longer ones. I just found one on clearance and was happy to get it based on how well our crew's held up back in the day.
                            Most of my co-workers, and all the framing crews I see, use the Paslode air nailers. They really have almost all the market here.
                            A friend has one of the Max regular-pressure guns, he told me there was some hassle with finding nails. Could be a local issue, but something to check into if you're looking at those. He does like the gun, other than that.
                            Cordless framers sure are nice for a lot of tasks, but if you're shooting off plywood or decking, forget it, right? So a lot of us need an air nailer. If you can afford the cordless go for it.
                            Doug

Favorite tool this week: Makita double-battery "worm drive" framing saw
                            http://www.jlconline.com/author/doug-horgan

www.bowa.com

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I looked at most of what was suggested and settled on a Paslode cordless one. Found a recon for $240 with free shipping. It does shoot the full round heads which I beleive they may be requiring here. However, have never been called on it yet but believe I have been using the full rounds for the last
                              I have not used it yet as it arrived on Saturday, 3 days after I ordered it. It looks perfect to me so cannot see what the issue was. I do know that they have now come out with a LIon battery so wonder if they are clearing these out.

I decided to go cordless because the more I thought about it the more I realized that I use my cordless finish nailer much more than I do my corded finish nailer. Still use my stapler and my 18 gauge air guns but thought I might not miss the air tools as much as I thought. As far as nailing off plywood and such that rarely happens in my remodeling projects.

Comment

Cordless nailer is best for lightweight work.

Comment

Working...
                                X