Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

KUV van

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KUV van

Like Phil, I to have an old type III ambulance.

Phil covered most the good points. I'll add a couple more.

They're Cheap. Especially if you get a pre-1995

On most of these (but not all) the tool box doors use the exact same kind of latches as your car door. Same large diameter pin with a capture latch. No sliding bolt like most boxes. They ARE secure when locked.

The doors have full length, stainless steel hinges that are much heavier gauge and higher quality then you see on most utility beds. They don't end up rusting as soon as the paint starts chipping off.

The doors on mine are 2.5" thick. They cannot be bent and pried open with a pry bar.

The taller doors actually have two pins and latches per door.

Speaking of the tall doors. Seriously, the tall compartment(s) is awesome. Mine holds a dewalt miter stand, Long levels, floor standing work light, track saw rails, shovels rake,etc

When you close the tool doors, they close solidly with a satisfying "thunk" like a car door.

They're absolutely watertight. Seriously watertight.

If you like diesel these are common, its actually tougher to find a gas one. I get 15mpg highway and 11 around town. Try finding a KUV with a diesel. I'm sure there out there, but not many.

They ride really smooth, but can still haul a fair amount of weight, especially if you get the adjustable air ride.

Couple pointers on buying one.

Try to find one that you can De-Ambulance the graphics easily. Some have graphics that can more easily be partially or completely stripped to look less ambulance like. On others, nothing short of completely stripping the van will make it look right. If you can get it down to just a simple stripe, once you add your own graphics, it will start to look more "civilian".

Try to get one the doesn't have specially molding body parts to accept the lights. There are plenty of creative ways you can plug the holes left by their removal, if they're in stock body parts. But a wrecking yard will usually provide plenty of donor parts if you need to switch out a grill or fender.

Next to the graphics, the rear doors are one of the things that make it look most like an ambulance. Best thing to do is get rid of the door windows. You can get pre-painted sheet aluminum and fiberglass from suppliers that sell trailer repair parts. You can remove the window and overlay it right on top of the old door skins. This really does a lot to take away the ambulance look from the rear.

Although these have nice cabinets in the back, they're really a waste of space for a contractor. Most guys leave them or do a partial tear out and adapt as necessary, but I prefer to gut them and start over from scratch.

These are easily to find with unbelievably low miles for the age. But as with most things that are to good to be true, the low mileage often is. Not that they don't have low mileage. But its the engine hours that you got to watch out for. These guys idle A LOT. Checking the hours will give you a better idea of engine wear then total mileage. Most the older units have actual hour meters right on the dash. But the newer ones sometime require you to cycle through the computer. But always, always, ALWAYS check the hours before buying.

Anyway. They're obviously not for everyone, but the definitely have some pluses that you cannot get in anything else.
    Last edited by mtbdad1; 07-29-2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Thought I would show a pic of the inside (now that I cleaned my mess pit, lol)

The second shot has my SDS max, laser level and tool bags added, but that is the general amount of space inside. The height inside is 5'-10" and the width is 52"/ Length on the floor if I move those things is 12'-4" and if I use the pass-through window I can get 18' AZEK boards in with the back doors closed. To give an idea of compartment space, in the first pic middle right, the lower "shelf" contains a senco collated screw gun, delta 12 1/2" planer, air flooring stapler AND a porta nailer manual cleat flooring nailer.

Phil
      Attached Files
      Last edited by philthegreek; 07-31-2011, 12:37 PM.
      It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Looks like a pretty nice work platform, Phil. I actually have a buddy who works as a manager for an ambulance company with a fleet of Sprinters- but he isn't looking to sell any yet. The sprinter and Nissan NV are in my sights as well.....kind of a big decision for me since I will be moving up from no payment, no collision insurance and 18.5 mpg around town...

Comment

David, I talked to Phil about the ambulance last winter and I have been looking very hard at them. as mention mtdad the lights and looking ambulancey are the two big issues. I'm a bit luckier than most as in Toronto there is a large dealer in used ambulances but I've also seen them on Craigs list and Kijiji. Most of the one's I've looked at, and in Southern Ontario there's salt on the road in the winter, are in very good condition for 2002-2003 which hits a nice price rage from the dealer. They have more rust on the cab door bottoms than on the box in the back Ford quality vs. the Box maker quality IMHO.

Two things have kept me from getting one. I'm not sure how easy a 4x8 will fit in the back, and most importantly constant work! This summer's has had some very good jobs but then I'll go a week and put in 10 hours, I'm not spending money when it's not flowing in regularly. I may still go for it as my trailer gets very frustrating in the winter time to hook up, and drive. BTW when I was down working in Denver I saw an ambulance pulling a 16' tandem trailer, I don't know if he was a contractor or a law guy...
          David Tuttle

Comment

Originally posted by texastutt View Post

This summer's has had some very good jobs but then I'll go a week and put in 10 hours, I'm not spending money when it's not flowing in regularly.

Same here. Who knows what the winter will bring. I've made it through the last three, which it seems would be the worst, but who knows.....

Comment

David,
              I will say this, the Sprinters have had issues with their engines and they are EXPENSIVE to repair. I looked at the Sprinters myself because I'm 6'-1" and wanted headroom. Their tow capacity is pidly. The max tow for the 3500 series is only 5000 lbs. The Ford E 350 superduty has a tow capacity of 12000 lbs. If you want realistic load capacity you have to look at 350 or 3500 series. The sprinters were about 59K when I looked. With financing that came to over 74K. There was no way I was going to lay out that much green for a stripped down van with a jump seat.

On the left side 1/3 of the way in you will see a single jump seat. Under that is a cooler built in. I throw in a case of water and those ice blocks from portable coolers and I'm good to go ;-)

Phil

Comment

Does anyone here have experience with the Reading CSV 57 with the aluminum top? Curious about gas mileage and durability of the aluminum. Also, does anyone know the capacity of the roof rack, If I can carry a big stack of crown or base?

I think I am leaning away from the tall can and for the KUV, but gas mileage could be a tough sell.

Comment

I am leaning away from the tall van, that is. I am not opposed to the tall can ;)

Comment

I wasn't aware of the aluminum CSV until your post, David. A little searching turned up a video that does a nice walk around of the unit...http://fullerisford.wordpress.com/20...-work-vehicle/
                    Greg

Comment

Thanks for the link, Greg. I wasn't aware of the translucent roof, pretty cool feature. I talked with a dealer a few hours from here who has one built selling for 32,600. I asked him about MPG, and he said he can only go on what customers tell him, but he would think 18-20...I told him I get 18.5 on my 4cylinder Toyota and he revised his estimate to 15. My uncle says he gets 11 on his diesel E350 with knapheide KUV..., One of the earlier posts said 8 on a chevy 6.0. Seems really tough to gauge.

Comment

on my plain jane 1993 7.3 diesel I'm getting 11 mpg. Seems no mater how I drive it ends up at about that number. I would have expected much higher from the newer vehicles. Now I don't feel so bad. ;-)

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by philthegreek View Post
                          on my plain jane 1993 7.3 diesel I'm getting 11 mpg. Seems no mater how I drive it ends up at about that number. I would have expected much higher from the newer vehicles. Now I don't feel so bad. ;-)

Phil
                          My uncle's diesel 350 is an 01, not sure how much better the newer vehicles are doing. And that weighs huge on my decision making. 10 mpg will cost me $1,400 more a year than my current vehicle, 15 mpg will only cost me $400 more.

I'm also wondering how much it will cost to insure the utility body. My current insurance would only cover the cab.

Comment

Y'know, I saw 25mpg for the sprinter and started to get all foggy eyed. Although I would not like to get 6 or 7 mpg in a work truck, I look at the total cost of the vehicle. The truck has to do one thing, that is to service your needs as a contractor. Look for a truck that suits you and the way you work.
                            This year, aside from 3 oil changes, I put 2 new tires, some wheel studs and nuts, a new fuel and air filter, and replaced the tranny (with one that I had from my old vehicle that was junked).
                            About 2K in maintenance. Last year it was a pair of air springs ($250 plus about an hours work) and a muffler & tailpipe plus 4 oil changes.
                            If you have a vehicle that can get most of what you need with you everyday without having to "run" back to get something because you can't fit enough in the truck, then that's the truck that fits.
                            I am trying to explain this but it may be a little disjointed.
                            If you buy a truck (say the sprinter 3500, because I know the costs), with financing that will be 72K. That means 12K/yr for six yrs with 40% depreciation right out the gate. That does not include the maintenance issues like oil changes, air & fuel filters, fuel, tires, etc.
                            What good is saving 1400 if you're spending 12K on the other end?
                            Lets take my ambulance (again because I know the costs) I paid 2K for it. I don't have a monthly nut of $1000 plus the need to carry full collision, scratch, dent and ding coverage. I can register it as a combination vehicle ( here that means the same as a pick-up) not as a commercial vehicle. I do not know how things are in Fresno.
                            Even if you buy a used truck for, say 8000 and you have to put a 2000 tranny in it right away, 10K free and clear beats 12K for 6 yrs. From what I've seen of service bodies, they want a premium for not a lot of product. On trucks 8 yrs old, I've seen redding units rotted 6 ways from Sunday. You really have to do ALL the math ;-)

I watched that CSV link and was wondering. If a plumber were to use that truck, and it has those neat doors for pipe, what good is 8ft of depth when pipe comes in at least 10" lengths?
                            None of the side compartments can handle a 12" miter saw and you're back to sliding your saw stand into the bed. They should really ask actual working pros about compartment size and so on.

Anyhow, just wanted to add some fuel to your fire ;-) and see how much deeper into the numbers you went.

Phil
                            Last edited by philthegreek; 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

What about rigging up a trailer? It's something I've been thinking about lately. A little more awkward, but you can leave it on the job (sometimes)

The ambulance idea is really neat, btw. Had thought of UPS step vans, for the height, space, and racks, but never an ambulance. Has anyone bought an old UPS van?

Comment

My truck is a '00 7.3 PSD Excursion Limited. My fuel mileage is 15.2 mpg. I had it at 20+ until the EPA scerwed with the sulfur content in the fuel. I do not drive conservitvly. The truck empty is about 7200 lbs with the diesel. I tow 10k+ with no problems.

It cost me just over 35k+ new 11 years ago.

Until this year it was an alternator, 2 door lock motors, tires, brakes very 35-40k.

This year (unplaned) I did have to rebuild the rear differential, parts were $1100.00. My labor.

I spent another $9400.00 (11 years in the planning) on, upgrading and rebuilding the suspension, rebuilt the steering, up grading the brake system, wheels and tires. These were all choices I made, could could have gone a cheeper route but.....

So far the trans has held up just fine. If I do have to replace it it will be a BTS or Suncoast.

As Phil said you have to look at all the costs.

Tom
                                Last edited by tjbnwi; 08-12-2011, 09:50 PM.
                                http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X