Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Every one's Favorite Worm Drive Saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Every one's Favorite Worm Drive Saw?

I bought the Bosch about 7 or 8 years ago before they had the quick connect cord. At that time the Bosch was 15 amp and the Skil was still 13amp. I think that might be changed now.
    I customized mine with the old Skil Mag 77 base (The flat one). I wasn't real fond of the Bosch base but that combination works real well for me.
    Two points about the comparison-
    One if your arbor bent you probably had the blade too tight. You don't need to muscle down on the blade to get it tight. It should be tight enough to cut without slippage under normal pressure.
    The second point is that when Skil and Bosch merged what improvements were made? Skil adopted everything that made the Bosch what it is. 15 amp motor, magnesium housing and the Bosch guard.
    I'd say that the Bosch was a better saw a few years ago but now that Skil has copied every improvement they've made they're probably a similar product.

-Steve

Comment

Originally posted by PCFCACarpenter View Post
      ...One if your arbor bent you probably had the blade too tight. You don't need to muscle down on the blade to get it tight. It should be tight enough to cut without slippage under normal pressure.

-Steve
      DING DING DING

I think we have a winner!

In fact my Bosch manual says to tighten the arbor bolt 1/8 of a turn past hand tight - DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN!
      Bosch calls it "Vari-torque clutch" - the friction between the blade and the arbor washer acts as a clutch to allow the blade to spin rather than kickback violently.

Comment

Originally posted by newman View Post
        DING DING DING

I think we have a winner!

In fact my Bosch manual says to tighten the arbor bolt 1/8 of a turn past hand tight - DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN!
        Bosch calls it "Vari-torque clutch" - the friction between the blade and the arbor washer acts as a clutch to allow the blade to spin rather than kickback violently.
        Thanks for the reinforcement and I think that applies to all saws not just Bosch. I have a Ridgid table saw in my garage that was given to me because something in the drive train blew out (I haven't yet had time to see what it was) and I think it's probably the same thing. Don't crank the arbor down too tight and adjust your feed rate to what the blade can cut.

Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

"VARI-TORQUE CLUTCH
          This clutching action is provided by the friction
          of the OUTER WASHER against the BLADE
          and permits the blade shaft to turn when the
          blade encounters excessive resistance. When
          the BLADE STUD is properly tightened (as
          described in No. 5 of Attaching The Blade), the
          blade will slip when it encounters excessive
          resistance, thus reducing saw’s tendency to
          KICKBACK.
          One setting may not be sufficient for cutting all
          materials. If excessive blade slippage occurs,
          tighten the blade stud a fraction of a turn more
          (less than 1/8 turn). OVERTIGHTENING THE
          BLADE STUD NULLIFIES THE EFFECTIVE-
          NESS OF THE CLUTCH."

Comment

"VARI-TORQUE CLUTCH
            This clutching action is provided by the friction
            of the OUTER WASHER against the BLADE
            and permits the blade shaft to turn when the
            blade encounters excessive resistance. When
            the BLADE STUD is properly tightened (as
            described in No. 5 of Attaching The Blade), the
            blade will slip when it encounters excessive
            resistance, thus reducing saw’s tendency to
            KICKBACK.
            One setting may not be sufficient for cutting all
            materials. If excessive blade slippage occurs,
            tighten the blade stud a fraction of a turn more
            (less than 1/8 turn). OVERTIGHTENING THE
            BLADE STUD NULLIFIES THE EFFECTIVE-
            NESS OF THE CLUTCH."
            How the heck is a blade that's mounted on a diamond arbor going to slip if it's in direct contact with the arbor?!
            Last edited by gburnet; 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by PCFCACarpenter View Post
              Thanks for the reinforcement and I think that applies to all saws not just Bosch. I have a Ridgid table saw in my garage that was given to me because something in the drive train blew out (I haven't yet had time to see what it was) and I think it's probably the same thing. Don't crank the arbor down too tight and adjust your feed rate to what the blade can cut.

Thanks,
              Steve
              Perhaps you didn't completely understand my previous post, Steve. As I mentioned, it was a freak occurrence. A fall-off from a stud that was apparently the perfect size & shape to fit between the blade & upper housing became wedged between the two. I suspect that the fact it was in the shape of a wedge contributed to the damage, but it all happened so quickly that I can't say for sure. Nonetheless, you can rest assured that the bent arbor wasn't a simple matter of the blade being overtightened, but rather a result of a piece of material being drawn between the blade & the upper body of the saw, pushing the blade through the upper guard assembly.
              Greg

Comment

newman and mark parlee, thank you for your suggestion and answer regarding 220v 50Hz motor

gburnet, the diamond is mounted on a sleeve that fits the arbor, the actual arbor is a cylinder

it's obvious once youve seen it
                Limey Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by gburnet View Post
                  How the heck is a blade that's mounted on a diamond arbor going to slip if it's in direct contact with the arbor?!

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bos...1138_9621.html

look at the diagram - part # 23 and 24.

If tightened properly, the arbor flange is designed to allow the blade to slip rather than bind. I'm sure you overtightened.

Comment

I'm sure you overtightened.
                    I'm sure you meant to say, "the cutoff piece of wood that caused the blade to quickly and violently protrude through the upper guard assembly (locking up and thereby bending the arbor) is what "overtightened" it.
                    "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by whiskytangofoxtrot View Post
                      I'm sure you meant to say, "the cutoff piece of wood that caused the blade to quickly and violently protrude through the upper guard assembly (locking up and thereby bending the arbor) is what "overtightened" it.

again, if it wasn't over-tightened, the blade would slip regardless of whether you hit a knot or a wedge of wood.

that's why the slip-clutch flange is there. I cut wet lumber all the time, and if the blade is dull or I push the saw too hard it slips - I don't "compensate" by over-torquing the blade nut.

Comment

again, if it wasn't over-tightened, the blade would slip regardless of whether you hit a knot or a wedge of wood.
                        Not necessarily :D

I'm sure that the possibility exists that the blade could deform in such a way (like deforming enough to protrude through the upper guard :) that it could add significantly more tension to a properly tightened slip-clutch-flange, thereby "overtightening" it enough to bend an arbor.
                        "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by whiskytangofoxtrot View Post
                          Not necessarily :D

I'm sure that the possibility exists that the blade could deform in such a way (like deforming enough to protrude through the upper guard :) that it could add significantly more tension to a properly tightened slip-clutch-flange, thereby "overtightening" it enough to bend an arbor.
                          I suppose anything's possible. I've just seen too many guys torque the hell out of saw blade nuts, including miter saws.

Comment

I'd love to see a worm drive show down done. There are the new Milwaukee's, 2- Makita's availalbe Mag and regular, and the Bosch/Skil.

Would make for good reading.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckwoodchuck View Post
                              I'd love to see a worm drive show down done. There are the new Milwaukee's, 2- Makita's availalbe Mag and regular, and the Bosch/Skil.

Would make for good reading.
                              Clearly we need Mr. Clark from Washington.

Starting at post #38, there is some seriously in-depth discussion regarding a few SCMS's and Dan ... well, let's say he doesn't leave much out.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47507
                              No brains, no headaches

Jeff

Comment

I have a couple of the 8 1/4" skil worm drives. The older one was bought in 1964.My new model bought in 1990 I think. I'll probably sell both of them one of these days as I am retired.
                                mike

Comment

Working...
                                X