Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Best Utility Knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Utility Knife

I like the Fat Max Extreme its well built and keeps ur knuckles off the shingles when your roofing. Its not fancy just heavy duty. My Vote-

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...knife&x=6&y=20

Comment

Originally posted by Neill MacInnis View Post
      i cut the tip of my left index finger off cutting rigid foam with an olfa. luckily they were able to sew me back together.

i still use the heavy duty olfas. i'm just more careful when it's fully extended. i don't like the non retractable stanleys because they're a pain when you're working with nothing more than a knife. keeping one of those in your pocket is a dicey prospect. wouldn't want to cut the tip off... well you know.

I did the same thing years ago with a small Olfa that I had the blade exposed too far - just like filleting a fish...

Comment

Wow.....I thought I was the only fixed blade guy left. I use a 199 I hate anything big, bulky or retractable.
        The only better knife I ever had was one a flooring guy gave me it was similar to a 199 with a thumb screw type of screw so you didn't need a screwdriver for blade changes, but I lost it.

Maybe somebody should make a titanium 199 then they could charge $50 instead of $3 and we would see them in every store....lol
        http://www.jpiercecarpentry.com

Comment

Originally posted by jpierce View Post
          Wow.....I thought I was the only fixed blade guy left. I use a 199 I hate anything big, bulky or retractable.
          The only better knife I ever had was one a flooring guy gave me it was similar to a 199 with a thumb screw type of screw so you didn't need a screwdriver for blade changes, but I lost it.

Maybe somebody should make a titanium 199 then they could charge $50 instead of $3 and we would see them in every store....lol
          I'm a 199 person too. In my experience the utility knife is the most dangerous tool. Since it doesn't involve whirring blades at 3000rpms, or it's not a loud and noisy tool that by default make us cautious, it's easy to be careless with it. More people on my crew have gone to the emergency room or local clinic because of gashes as a result of this tool than any other injury. The cheaper sliding knives are dangerous, I learned that a long time ago. The 199 is tried and true, I just live with its shortcomings but at least it's a stable knife when being used. And blade changes...pffft...15 seconds and you're off and running.

Comment

I like both the retractable and the fixed blade knives. Tend to stay with a retractable most of the time tho since I often carry one with me every day. It is often in my side pockets of my pants and the fixed is not going to stay in there long before it cuts out a hole in either me or my pants.

I have never been really worried about the time it takes to change a blade so often do not see why some guys are so worried about having to unscrew the thing to take it apart. What gets me in the time department is how often I have taken the thing apart and dropped the blade holder or screw and it goes bouncing across the floor. Often even the quick change ones will have the holder that can come out of place if you are not careful. Besides, don't we need a few minutes each day to not be busting our humps. And if it really bothers you that much, have everybody change them each morning or evening and again at lunch time on their own time.

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
              I like both the retractable and the fixed blade knives. Tend to stay with a retractable most of the time tho since I often carry one with me every day. It is often in my side pockets of my pants and the fixed is not going to stay in there long before it cuts out a hole in either me or my pants.
              Ok, Ok, I'll admit it. I am a fix blade fan, but I do own several pairs of carpenter pants with the bottom of the side pocket cut out of them....lol
              http://www.jpiercecarpentry.com

Comment

The Sheffield you referred to has become my "go to". easy to change blades, except no storage onboard. Easy to keep in the pocket. Mine has decided it likes the taste of flesh however, so one of thee days it may get thrown...
                "We can do it, You can't help" My son (3 at the time) told the Home Depot guy on one of numerous trips. The guy walked away rather dejected.

Comment

The best utility knife made seems to be on the chopping block for Stanley. Finding it harder to find them so bought 6 at Menards. Best ergomonically, very durable.

Carl
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have used Lenox Gold for a couple years now. Its easy to change blades, holds 5 extra blades. Havent had a problem out of it and really like the way its shaped. Been a good one so far.
                    Nate Dizzy you know who izzy

Mostellerconstructiononline.com

Comment

Originally posted by NateMoss View Post
                      I have used Lenox Gold for a couple years now. Its easy to change blades, holds 5 extra blades. Havent had a problem out of it and really like the way its shaped. Been a good one so far.
                      As have I. I haven't been able to make a blade slip or pull out in the thing. It's pretty bombproof.

I did have a FatMax non-retractable that was THE best, only it destroyed everything I owned!!!
                      Your source for:
                      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
                      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
                      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
                      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

all these complicated fat max and similar knives just go wrong

retractable blades are unsafe

you want simple bullet proof construction, fixed blade and holster

this knife does all three things

http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/ha...s&siteid=47683
                        Last edited by Tom Bainbridge; 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM.
                        Limey Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by NateMoss View Post
                          Ditto. I've broken one in the past 5 or 6 years by dropping it onto a concrete slab from a step ladder. Never had any other issues with them.
                          Greg

Comment

I've bought the cheap ones and i've bought the expensive ones. They all the last the same for me because I normally lose them.

I dropped a brand new gold lennox 5 stories onto concrete one day and since I buy the cheap Stanley's in 6 packs.
                            My forum signature

Comment

I have the auto loading 40052. Do not need to pull a blade from storage, it automatically loads another blade

http://www.jhwilliamstoolgroup.com/D.../pdf000837.pdf

They sell all kinds of stuff.

http://www.jhwilliamstoolgroup.com/Content/16.htm

Comment

I am mainly a Olfa guy, the one inch ones. I tried the tamaji, nice knife but also heavy and a clip broke on it when it fell out of the pouch climbing a form. Would not hold the spare blades and the olfa blades are longer. Also most guys I work with here in BC are olfa type of knifes.

On kiewiett jobs knifes are banned do to safety issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X