Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Choosing an airless paint sprayer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing an airless paint sprayer

Anybody have any experience selecting airless paint sprayers? Which ones are best? Are there any web sites that cover this? I'm a small cabinet maker and sometimes need to paint built-ins and surrounding trim. I'm looking for something that's small, light weight, easy to transport, easy to use(?), etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Choosing an airless paint sprayer

This came up a month or two ago, do a search. Don't worry about actual size but rather what tip size you'll need for the paint you use. Good paints like Ben moore latex interior and exterior need either a .17 or .19 which means you cannot buy on the of cheaper models. Look at either Titan or Graco, both are used by all the pros around my area.

Comment

For what you described you would be better off getting an HVLP unit, not an airless. A four stage turbine would spray latex. You will get less bounce back, more paint on project, and a better finish with this approach.

Airless's are for large areas like house walls etc.

Comment

I'd agree with Kirk. We have a Capspray CS9100 that is a good machine, once you get the hang of it...http://www.gleempaint.com/cs9100hvlpnew.html
        Definitely spend the few additional $ up front to get a top of the line machine. It will do almost anything you ask of it, unlike the cheaper sprayers. Fuji is also a good bet, from what I hear.
        Greg

Comment

Greg, what are you doing to latex paint to get it to spray? I have a Capspray 9100 with a #6 jet and it is sssslllloooowwww.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark G View Post
            Greg, what are you doing to latex paint to get it to spray? I have a Capspray 9100 with a #6 jet and it is sssslllloooowwww.
            Yep, we had similar problems, Mark. We use plenty of Floetrol when spraying latex & it makes a world of difference. We also experimented with different tips, but I don't remember which one worked the best. The sprayer is in our shop, so if I get a chance, I'll look at our inventory of tips. Sorry, but it's been awhile & I can't recall the tip # off the top of my head.
            Greg

Comment

Hey guys,
              Thanks for the responses. I have an Accuspray HLVP sprayer with a two quart pressure pot. It will spray latex (and anything else) but it needs a lot of air to do it. The "portable" compressor that came with it weighs about 90lbs and the noise will rattle your teeth. Worse is it's unable to spray oil base or latex paint without getting some orange peel -- no matter how much Flotrol you put in the paint. The newer homes around here have painted trim that is flawless -- no orange peel at all. I'm trying to match that. I'm guessing the pro painters use an airless system to paint the trim after it's installed.

Comment

I also have a Spraytech 2150 airless unit that will pretty much do whatever I need. The main difference between airless sprayers is the gpm output after you get to a quality level of sprayer, a piston driven one. I think mine puts out .33 gpm. A first line unit like the Titan or Graco will put out maybe 1 gpm for 2-3 times the price but may be a lot more machine than you need for occasional use.

Also, keep an eye on Craigslist if there's one near you. I got my Capspray for $400 there.

Comment

I have a Fuji HVLP. I've sprayed latex semi gloss using a #6 spraycap and needle. I had to thin the paint way down and use floetrol. The client loved it but the paint looked washed out to me.

I wouldn't spray latex on woodwork. I think you would get better results with tinted waterborne lacquer or urethane. Most manufacturers sell black and white ML Campbell will custom tint their Polystar WB lacquer and I THINK Sherwin Williams will tint theirs as well. A friend of mine just sprayed his own kitchen with Polystar, I haven't seen it but he was really happy with the results. I haven't really looked into it because I usually use stains, black or white. I'm sure a lot of companies will custom tint their products, WB has replaced solvent born products completely in some areas.

I am spraying some black this week in the shop using Target Oxford WB products. I can spray it right out of the can, the color's in the sealer, I just have to strain it, no thinning, it sands like a dream in an hour and cleans up with warm water. With 2 coats and I get a perfectly flat solid color sanded to 320 ready for topcoat. My material costs are double what latex would cost but the labor and finish easily justifies the cost.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by Lysandersowner View Post
                    The newer homes around here have painted trim that is flawless -- no orange peel at all. I'm trying to match that. I'm guessing the pro painters use an airless system to paint the trim after it's installed.
                    In my area (outside Boston) all the painters use either the titan 440 or Graco in the 390 or 395 range. Both setups are very portable and put on a great finish. With something like Ben moore latex or california, I don't think they ever need to thin. They'll use either of those sprayers for interior and exterior, everyday for residential use. For the 12' ceilings, they'll use the extension wands.

Here's a site with some info on the models and a ballpark price. I think you could do a little better with the prices though. http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sprayers/Sprayers.shtml

Also, be careful buying used off ebay, craigslist or other. I believe Graco and maybe Titan have lifetime warranties on the critical parts of the sprayers but they are only to the original owner. I thought about a sprayer a few years ago and I would have bought new unless I got a great great deal, because of the warranty issues. When I looked at the used machines, they were never marked down enough to compensate for the loss of the warranty.

Comment

Here are some links to threads on spraying, plus many more.
                      Just type spray or airless in the search link.
                      http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34379
                      http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35869

As a cabinet shop, I'm guessing you already have a separate setup for your lacquer/poly.

As for the small airless, any of these will suit you fine.
                      Titan 440i
                      Airlessco LP460
                      SprayTech EP2105
                      Graco 190es, Graco 395, Graco STX
                      Wagner 935 / 945

I'll spray paint grade trim 1st coat before I put it up. Try a gallon of Benjamin Moore waterbased Impervo if you want a latex that flows out nice.

I have quite a bit of info on finishing, but read through the old threads and the links in those as well first.
                      Robert

DUE TO CURRENT FINANCIAL RESTRAINTS, THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL WILL BE TURNED OFF UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE…..

Comment

Does anybody have any experience selecting airless paint sprayers? Which ones are best? I want to get the best airless paint sprayer which is used to home. My budget is under 200$ to 300$. But I don't have any idea about itself. So please guide me about the paint sprayer. Which is best for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X