Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Tom Silva Setup.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom Silva Setup.

Most nail bags I've seen in the last 10 years has the open seam between pouches for a speed-square. Hard to tell from that tiny picture. Looks like it might be homemade. You know what they say about Yankee's being thrifty.
    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
    This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

I thought that Swanson used to sell some type of clip that you hung your speed square in. It clipped over your belt and then had a u shaped slot that the square snapped into.

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
        I thought that Swanson used to sell some type of clip that you hung your speed square in. It clipped over your belt and then had a u shaped slot that the square snapped into.
        an' i thought they only sold tv dinners!!!.
        hey!!! that's not a square!! it's a triangle!
        I may be slow, but I'm expensive!

Comment

Nice to hear from you again Robo;

Don't eat the triangular fish sticks! They suck! LOL!!!
          Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Toolwhore View Post
            Nice to hear from you again Robo;

Don't eat the triangular fish sticks! They suck! LOL!!!
            we wuz raised on dem dinners. mom wuz workin' me an' bro fired 'em up all da time!! 'member da salisbury steak ones?????? har dee har har!!
            I may be slow, but I'm expensive!

Comment

They're plastic now and last about 2 days. I just keep mine in my large pouch.

Comment

So there is some sort of clip out there. It would seem that you could find a plastic one and make one out of metal. I thought it was similiar to some sort of belt on key holder but have not seen one in years. Maybe consider some sort of large snap hook that you could put on your belt and snap the thing on and off as needed.

Remember the thread about how you use your speed square. It is never to be used as a straight edge for cutting boards.

Comment

Remember the thread about how you use your speed square. It is never to be used as a straight edge for cutting boards.
                  1) no
                  2) Why not?
                  Tom

Comment

Oops. I use mine all the time as a straight edge to square up a board. When I cut to a line I cut the 'legal' way.

Very rarely will I use my square to cut to a line. Usually when cutting Azek or those other PVC boards. I've found that cutting that plastic stuff is like cutting a piece of apple pie. The blade can very easily wander with very little resistance. Not at all like cutting good 'ol wood.

EDIT: Oh crap. I didn't realize until I posted that I just contributed to the Tom Silva thread.
                    Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

Comment

Originally posted by Toolwhore View Post
                      1) no
                      2) Why not?
                      There was lots of discussion that if you needed a speed square to make a straight cut then there was something wrong. Anybody should be able to cut across a board and get a straight line by eye.

Comment

Sooo....

Anyone should be able to straighten a 40' wall by sighting down it instead of stringing a line or using a laser?

Sorry, but that seems like a 'macho' answer to me.

If I have the tools to do it right, I'm gonna do it right the first time. Not do it 'by eye'.

Don't read this wrong. I don't use my square as a substitute for proper tool control, just as the occassional aid when something has to be exactly square.

Sorry for taking this thread in a different direction. Now all we need are for some union guys to jump in.
                        Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

Comment

That may be tricky the one he wears is really old and been through years of abuse. I would guess probably Mcguire Nicholas maybe. Glad to see someone else respecting old Tom he is the man....

Comment

What I would like to know is what holds is speed square? It looks like some kind of slot hanger, so that it sits on the outside of the belt... I can't find that, ANY ONE?
                            David Tuttle

Comment

Originally posted by texastutt View Post
                              What I would like to know is what holds is speed square? It looks like some kind of slot hanger, so that it sits on the outside of the belt... I can't find that, ANY ONE?
                              IIRC, that's something that Silva fab'd himself.

For carpenters it seems, necessity isn't always the "mother of invention", LAZINESS is :)
                              "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

I seem to remember seeing that particular speed square holster - or something VERY similar to it - offered by Swanson a while back. Not sure if it's still available, but I'd start there.

Comment

Working...
                                X