Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Killing mold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Killing mold

Shawn - Look at the EPA website. They define over 10 sq feet as needing special attention.
    They have a suggested clean up which I print out and hand the customer telling them that I will clean up the mold as per EPA guide lines. People feel more comfortable seeing this EPA guideline. Under 10 sq feet just requires cleaning with a soapy solution and vacuuming with a HEPA vac. No has-mat suit or sealing the area required if less than 10 sq feet.
    Bill T

Comment

It's definitely less than 10 SF when looking from below, but what about the possibility of dormant mold under the tile. Does 3 SF of mold on each side of a subfloor constitute 6 SF?

I have no problem taking care of the underside, but what kind of fallout would there be if the new HO decides to tear-up the bathroom floor and finds more dormant mold? Could I be liable for that even if I just cleaned the visible area per EPA directions?

Above the floor, there was some very minor drywall damage where it wicked some water and a small amount of peeling paint on the base. However, there is no evidence that any mold started in that area. But again, what happened under the tile is unknown.

Comment

Are you sure it is mold?

Tom
        http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

It sure looks like it. Is there something else you were thinking of as a possibility?

Comment

Could it be just dirt and crud that showed as the water past through the sheathing? Not sure how much mold could form a one time wetting? Would mold form between the tile and sheathing with no air? I have no clue the answers to my questions, just wondering.

Tom
            Last edited by tjbnwi; 09-05-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I have seen plenty of mold on plywood under tile. Good point about mold if the moisture was a one and done deal though.
              Brad

Comment

Originally posted by magna111 View Post
                I have seen plenty of mold on plywood under tile. Good point about mold if the moisture was a one and done deal though.
                Was that from a continuing leak?

Comment

Has the inspector already noted the condition or are you attempting to preempt that from happening? I've been happy with Nisus mold-clean followed by application of bora-care. They may not be available to you there. If you are following up after the inspectors then your involvement may be a bit dicier depending on state reg's and your ins carrier should be able to 'assist.' Not sure exactly what the bit of the HO being allowed to do x' means as some places do actually mean only the HO can perform the work.
                  Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

The inspector and prospective HO know and just want to make sure it's not a continuing problem.

On another comment you made: As I understand it from the wording is the HO being allowed to do x' means that it is not deemed a big enough of a problem that a professional would need to handle it. However, you may have a point about maybe it means the HO in their own home vs. anyone in someone else's.

Comment

Wouldn't pretend to want to nav those waters of NE regs, but perhaps the inspector would be of help in what would pass his gaze and get so noted. There's a good likelihood of non visible being there but going any further would involve destructive measures to verify as well as remedy. The two products I mentioned [not exclusive of any other possibles] will make the visual quality better and provide a good barrier with penetration to the wood.

Comment

My assumption would be from an ongoing leak. How quickly was this leak detected and rectified? My concern would be the mold you can see on the underside of the wood is in the area that would have dried out quicker than the areas covered by tile.
                        Brad

Comment

Thanks for the info , Mark.

Brad, the leak was discovered (toilet flood) and fixed quickly, so it was a one time deal and this happened a while back.

Comment

That being the case I wouldnt expect mold. But who knows, proceed with caution.
                            Brad

Comment

Perception is tricky to deal with. Dark stain that look like mold is enough to raise some flags, I know it would for me. I have seen some similar questionable areas where it was just an indeterminate dark stain with some iron oxide, cob web and dryer lint mixed in making simple visual inspection questionable. Is sample/test warranted? Will an application of xyz by you or HO w/o test be enough to ally the concerns of the inspect and buyer? Is the real problem really fixed or will t tank sweat next season set it back off? Lot's of guess and perception work to get juggled on all sides - if done, whatever you use needs to not allow for compounding that problem. Hope all these recent questions aren't the same basemnt... ;

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Prentice View Post
                                It's the basement side subfloor of a small half bath.
                                Maybe the same house, for some reason just don't think the bath is in the basement;-)

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X