Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Spar Varnish Application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spar Varnish Application

Check West Marine for the best true marine grade finishes. They have products such as Captains and Epifanes, both of which we use alot, that have their own brushing thinners that lay out and level it remarkably. I have pictures of mahogany rails, thresholds and doors we have done with this system that are remarkable. The quality of the ingredients is the difference, these are high solids products. Expect to pay $60/qt for a world class experience.
    Last edited by topcoatfinishes; 07-10-2011, 10:35 AM.
    Scott Burt

Http://www.topcoatfinishes.com/
    http://topcoatreview.com/

Comment

David,

The spar varnish (marine varnish) is a long oil, it is designed to stay flexible.

The spar urethane is a modified oil and will cure. It is not as flexible or self mending as spar varnish. Spar urethane has better U.V. protection than spar varnish. The reason you have issue with the flow out is the fact it is doing what it should do, a little Penitrol will solve this problem.

Tom
      http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

I've never used West Marine, but I have found the better the product the better the results. Seems to apply to pretty much everything.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tjbnwi View Post
          I've never used West Marine, but I have found the better the product the better the results. Seems to apply to pretty much everything.

Tom
          True. It's just a leap of faith to cross that $60/qt threshold, but it's a much better experience than the minwax and varathanes, which are kind of like putting Budweiser next to a fine wine. Where clears are concerned, take no chances.
          Scott Burt

Comment

Tom, I'm assuming Greg is talking about Varathane Spar Urethane. If they have another product that's Spar Varnish, it's not on the shelves here and I'm not familiar with it.
            Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
            Website - Facebook

Comment

If it is the spar urethane, he then has a sub surface issue. According to the MSDS the spar urethane contains no long oils. (linseed, tung, walnut, they are drying agents just takes longer than other compounds to cure, some do not cure completely)

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by David Meiland View Post
                Tom, I'm assuming Greg is talking about Varathane Spar Urethane. If they have another product that's Spar Varnish, it's not on the shelves here and I'm not familiar with it.
                Correct - it's a urethane. Sorry for the confusion.
                Greg

Comment

If it is the spar urethane, he then has a sub surface issue
                  Maybe. It's also possible to get bad product or somehow contaminate it.
                  Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                  Website - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by David Meiland View Post
                    Maybe. It's also possible to get bad product or somehow contaminate it.
                    That's what I'm thinking, Dave. However, I prepped both sides of the door exactly the same, and the interior seems to be almost dry while the exterior is showing the most trouble.

I seriously doubt that sanding to 180 rather than 150 is enough to cause the problem I'm seeing. I understand about not burnishing the wood, but that didn't happen here. Some of the finish flashed in a matter of hours while other spots are still tacky days later. If all the wood had been burnished, it would seem logical that the majority of the finish would be problematic, but that's not the case.

I'll see what happens over the next few days.
                    Greg

Comment

By any chance did you use Norton sand paper to sand the door? I have had problems with Norton on bare wood. Found out all of their papers are searated. They're fine on finish, but not on bare wood. The searate (lubricant) can get in the wood and screw things up. No, it does not happen across the entire surface, depends on how porous an area is and the pressure you apply. There are also some Festool papers that are searated, they tell you not to use them on bare wood.

Tom

Comment

Running ac?
                        Scott Burt

Comment

By any chance did you use Norton sand paper to sand the door? I have had problems with Norton on bare wood. Found out all of their papers are searated. They're fine on finish, but not on bare wood. The searate (lubricant) can get in the wood and screw things up. No, it does not happen across the entire surface, depends on how porous an area is and the pressure you apply. There are also some Festool papers that are searated, they tell you not to use them on bare wood.

Tom
                          There's a good chance it was Norton, Tom. I'd have to check, but we have a lot of their paper in the shop. Thanks for the heads up.
                          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by topcoatfinishes View Post
                            Running ac?
                            Not for the first few days, but we turned it on yesterday afternoon, Scott.
                            Greg

Comment

You're welcome.

Got rid of all of mine and won't buy it any more.

Tom

Comment

How has the humidity levels been in your area outside? Since the inside is drying fine and I am assuming you are running the A/C which will have lower humidity, that is drying fine. If the outside is humid that will slow the drying time significantly. I have had this issue in the past
                                Thanks
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X