Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Metric Lumber Dimensions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metric Lumber Dimensions

OK, I got my note: "Stick of wood matching dimensions implied by detail". That ought to do 'er!

Comment

teds, davek and NW

ted s
      chippy is the most common word for a site based carpenter in england, in scotland hes more often called a joiner

a joiner in england is a different trade, thats a shop based guy who makes doors, staircases etc

dave k

"real" metric doors are almost exclusivly used in commercial settings

aside note just to make it a little clearer domestic uk imperial doors WERE 6foot 6 x 2foot 3 (with 3 inch width increments)

but 43 years on the door makers havent gone metric

SOME manufactures changed the "words" and followed the metric convention of width first, so its now a 686 x 1981

confused yet? try this............. :)

some door manufactures brochures give the dimensions in 3 formats (even that isnt the full story)

the third format, the same door as above, is a "27 inch 6 foot 6" ( imperial dimensions given in metric format, IE width first ! )

ANOTHER version of the third format is just "27 inch" ......... the door height is implied

more confusion :) remember the architects? they dimension doors in metric only

NW

so not only are some trim dimensions implied, occasionally even door heights can be implied

does this confuse me? ask somebody else :)
      Last edited by Tom Bainbridge; 06-18-2011, 02:33 AM.
      Limey Carpenter

Comment

where as metric doors are 2040mm x 626mm or 726mm or 826mm or 926mm etc.

i also still order 4x2 @ 3m etc. its just easier to say and register than 38 x 89

Comment

methinks the carpenter is english but he also highlights another timber anomloy here in england, that i tried to avoid mentioning above

the metric dimensions he gives for 4x2 (38x89mm) tells me its what you guys buy everyday, its what you know as 2x4.

Here in england i and many other carpenters know this as CLS (canadian lumber stock) and we use it exclusivly for non loadbearing studwork

we have a second standard for what we know as carcassing timber (loadbearing framing / roof timbers) it is stress graded, it is regularised and has to be tannalised, nothing else will do for enginnering calculations

by now you have a flavour of the apparant confusion im faced with everyday

so you wont be suprised to hear three odd things

1 we call 4x2 [2x4] even if it is american/canadian or european sourced. so that should be clear as mud............... it is simple, when you know it in your bones

2 its sawn dimensions (prior to regularising) are metricated inches................ so 2 inches is 50mm (2x25mm) and 4 inches is 100mm (4x25mm)

3 it has different finished dimensions to CLS......... english carcassing timber when regularised is 45x95

weve been joking about how "apparantly complicated" my timber sourcing requirements are. in reality it is VERY simple

ALL timber in england (trim or carcassing/framing) for the last 43 years is based on nominal dimensions. those nominal dimensions are based on simplified metricated inches IE 1 inch equals 25mm

unless im using american / canadian sourced 2x for non load bearing stud partitions

or, im matching with old english framing......... where sawn 2x4 is finished 2x4 rather than what you guys buy............ namely 1-1/2 x 3-1/2

am i really confused? not at all.

i know all the differences and i deal with them. what DOES piss me off is when the supplier or the collection guy doesnt follow my specific instructions

NW architect was joking, but he has my dilema / problem dialed perfectly

with some of my less well educated / dont care, collection guys. ive learned to give them an offcut of what i want to the timber merchant to ensure i get what i want
          Last edited by Tom Bainbridge; 06-19-2011, 09:31 AM.
          Limey Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Bainbridge View Post
            chippy is the most common word for a site based carpenter in england, in scotland hes more often called a joiner

a joiner in england is a different trade, thats a shop based guy who makes doors, staircases etc
            I can tell you're a southerner, Tom. Joiner is used for both bench (shop) and site skills in the North of England (certainly north of Stoke) - applies equally in the west as the east You rarely hear the term cerpenter used in this neck of the woods.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Bainbridge View Post
              carcassing timber (loadbearing framing / roof timbers) it is stress graded, it is regularised and has to be tannalised,
              Stress graded ... ok
              regularised ... not rough sawn?
              tannalised ... NFC (no friggen clue)

Comment

Yes
                Yes
                Tanalised = pressure cylinder treated with a water-based wood preservative often containing a trace dye, either green or brown (normally "Tanalith E" or similar, hence the term "tanalised")

Two nations divided by a common language, again?

Comment

Working...
                X