Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Synthetic Roof Underlayments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Synthetic Roof Underlayments

Originally posted by patrick View Post
    Thanks to all who answered. Does anybody have a price for a roll of the Grace Tri-Flex 30?
    They are all about the same, around $150 for 10 sq roll.

Comment

If anyone wants a free one-square sample roll of a new synthetic underlayment (complete with ICC-ES ESR #), please e-mail me for details.
      It is a woven polypropylene fabric with a patented rubber-modified top surface.

Thanks

Comment

What are you guys using to fasten down these new roofing papers/membranes/wraps? Staples? Or has everyone upgraded to cap guns?

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

Mike

We now use a cap gun for roofing underlayment. They pay for themselves in a job or two in labor alone. Two guys can felt a roof in no time.
          Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

Comment

Hey Jeremy, what type of cap gun do you use? Oh and thanks for your response.

Thanks,
            Mike

Comment

We currently have a Hitachi Plasti-Tacker, and I'm trying out a Grip-Rite and the new Bostitch cap nailer. The Hitachi is a nice gun, as is the Bostitch.
              Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

Comment

Thanks for bumping a 4 year old thread back up to help with your SEO. You've missed a couple of fora. Or maybe you just haven't gotten to them yet.
                http://www.grantlogancopper.com/

Comment

Synthetic underlayments are inferior to felt paper products due to their low permeability. Even though shingles have a low permeability felt paper creates a buffer zone between the wood decking and shingles ensuring the wood deck remains dry. This is very useful in ensuring new wet lumber installed as roof decking can release the excess moisture. Having two low permeabile products on top of one another is never a good idea and is not a practice followed by elite contractors. Felt paper also absorbs liquid water and wickers liquid water away from the wood deck helping to keep the wood deck dry due to liquid water penetration. Paper will hold the excess water allowing it to evaporate through the roof ventilation. Synthetic underlayments do not absorb any water and do not wicker moisture away from wood decking.
                  Wrap a wet piece of lumber[osb for quicker results] completely with felt and another with synthetic underlayment. Leave it for a year and unwrap and you will witness the superiority of felt paper.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but wanted to chime in.

I've used it in the past for under metal roof systems but using right now on a shingle project for the first time.

The only reason I paid the premium was for piece of mind due to higher weatherbility. Doing a large project over a hospital with on going operations so a leak over the operating room can be a major issue. 15lb felt was specd but I went ahead and bid the synthetic.

I'm using the certainteed diamond deck. It's so much nicer going forward felt paper won't even be an option on my jobs.
                    My forum signature

Comment

Working...
                    X