Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

sealer for interior brick walls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealer for interior brick walls

It seems that everyone on the home improvement shows is leaving exposed brick in homes these days. Often I see them shown as a "discovery" and were behind walls or under plaster. In other words,to my thinking a brick wall that is probably doing to be dusty, maybe have mortar that is not really in the best of shape. I seldom see them repoint the joints. And I seldom see anyone talking about what you do to the brick to seal it so it can be kept clean and to help keep the mortar from flaking off.

I know a little about exterior water sealing products and such that can be applied but keeping the brick clean and sealed especially in a kitchen is what I am concerned about.

Any recommendations from the few who still are here?

I've never seen exposed interior brick in a house because there are no multi-wythe brick houses around here. We do have some masonry houses from the early 20th century but they are block, not brick.
    I see exposed brick occasionally in lofts and restaurants. In all cases I've seen, there is no apparent coating or repointing. It's left natural with all damage and defects, missing mortar, etc. The point is to have the distressed look, not a restored look.

As far as sealers, I like Miracle 511 Porous. Try it first in a small hidden spot to make sure the customer is ok with the appearance.

And make sure the lost permeability doesn't cause any issues with the envelope.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am not too concerned about the envelope because I am talking about a 5 ft wide wall in a 50 ft wall. That is all that will be exposed. I agree that tuckpointing it all back is not really a good thing but they are more concerned about the constant dusting that might occur from the mortar and brick face. It is pretty rough brick and it looks like to me it would just grab a lot of dust from the area. .

Comment

I’m thinking you visit the Laticrete website, I recall they have a number of products that would work for this, maybe ask their rep. Here is one I found quickly, not sure if it would work but they have a family of similar products:

https://me.laticrete.com/en/our-prod...ect/190-sealer

Back in they day we would coat masonry with siloxane sealant, but that was exterior. Still, one would think it would work for the interior, a clear water repellent product. Does need recoating, but for the exterior application.
        When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
        X