Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Jobsite Cleanliness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jobsite Cleanliness

Originally posted by Jonathan70 View Post
    I pretty much try to clean up as I go or with each phase of the project if it works better that way , but generally I vacuum myself out of the project each day so everything is clean. End of the day clean up and re-organize is also very important, it helps set the tempo for the next days work.

Also when I meet with perspective clients, shoes/ boots are off at the door, even if they say its ok, they come off, Clients love it! REMEMBER YOU NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION!
    Jonathan... Buy yourself some booties to go over your shoes...... Much easier and you don't have to worry if your feet have that "Funk" going on...... ;-)
    Chuck

Comment

I'm a custom cabinet contractor. I just came back from a new house that I'll be doing soon. It's almost ready for drywall. I took advantage of today to measure since I knew the job is shut down to Thursday. This is a 4000 sq ft custom house, standing seam copper roof, high end all the way. Exclusive neighbor hood with great views of the Pacific ocean. With no garage door in place anyone can just walk on in. The architect, GC, and 3 subs have their business signs posted on stakes out front. The site is a mess!

Comment

one sentence... every room, every floor, every day.

someone earlier said "low man on the totem pole has to clean" ... boy, theres no quicker way i'll fire someone, if that person 1) doesn't clean well or 2) complains while doing it...
        Donald
        Sure Lock, Inc.
        __________________________________________________ _____________

"Always do the best work possible. Leave the job-sites saying, 'I did great work today!' And you should be charging in the top 10-20%. Your customers will be saying, 'That guy is very expensive! But he's worth it!!!' ". -GK

Comment

Originally posted by always-learning View Post
          Jonathan... Buy yourself some booties to go over your shoes...... Much easier and you don't have to worry if your feet have that "Funk" going on...... ;-)
          Chuck, I have seen the Furnace Technicians using them , I have thought about it too, just have not done so as of yet , actually I forget more then I like to. Thanks for the reminder!
          Jonathan70

EPA Certified Firm NAT-25077-1
          RRP CERT#: R-I-18329-09-00419

You are only as Valuable as You consider Yourself!

You can pay me now or you can pay me more to fix what was done wrong by others later!

Comment

My dad, the GC has always done the cleanup. It allowed him to clear his mind and he loves working with his hands, whatever that is at the time. He grew up on a farm and is happiest working. He can't do that anymore because of a neck injury, which doesn't stop him from tidying up when he comes out :-)

So growing up, my brother and I did a lot of cleanup. Now on our framing/siding crew, all 3 of us do the cleanup and can blitz it pretty quickly. We try not to have anything to clean up though, which really makes the whole thing really easy.

We keep a dumpster onsite for garbage and either haul the wood scrap to a wood only recycler or give it to our finish carp to burn.

On the frame we are on now, we'll only end up with one dumpster of garbage and one truck load of scrap, all small stuff. I think we are finally getting to cutting way way down on garbage.

Good for the homeowner to come out and its clean. Gives us a sense of pride too.
            www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
            http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

Aside from sanity, job site order and the professionalism presented to all parties my desire is to manage down my risk of someone getting hurt. I do not want some one needlessly injured because there was a mess on the job site, especially when it could have been corrected in a few short minutes.

I clean constantly and my subs know that they had better not leave a mess or I will find someone else to do their work who is happy to keep things ship shape.

I wish the GC doing the remodel down the street from me felt the same way about the stack of rusty rebar & jagged forming lumber left in front of the $2MM new house he's building.
              Rolf Selvig
              Selvig Development

Comment

Working...
              X