Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Handyman Business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman Business

I am looking thoughts on starting a Handyman business to go along with our remodeling/new const. GC Business.

I have been doing some research and see that it is a very fast growing segment of the const. industry. I also think it would be a great compliment to our GC business since we could possibly feed referals from the handyman company to the GC company and vice versa. I have an employee that would be great for the hadnyman position, and we already have the truck/trailer/tools to dedicate to it.

Again, just looking for thoughts from people who may have input or suggestions. Thanks,

Tim

Re: Handyman Business

The handyman gig is a big part of my business, and I enjoy it, but it takes a different mindset and setup than a GC.

First, I'd lose the trailer and go with a van. If you're making several house calls a day and in/out of suppliers finding parking for a truck and trailer rig is a royal PITA. Been there.

Already having the tools is good start. The next PITA is having a WIDE assortment of fasteners; everything from nails and screws to picture hanging stuff, cabinet hardware, door and window hardware, different types of caulk in different colors....not to mention misc electrical and plumbing supplies if you anticipate doing any of that. You'll end up being a rolling hardware store but it's the only way to make efficient use of your time. Also, it's not inexpensive to buy all this stuff and keep it stocked and organized. I have to tear apart and the re-organize my van once or twice a month to keep my sanity.

Not sure about your area but in mine the typical HO hears handyman and thinks I can had for $20/hour....that's what the alcoholic competition charges. Be prepared to educate your clientele to justify your fees (I charge by the job, not the hour).

Handyman jobs are a great source of bigger projects, I turn down many more than I can accept. If you see Kreg McMahon's posts in the finish carpentry forum he's another one who gets alot of work from handyman jobs.

Good luck, -Norm

Comment

Thanks Norm,

We are set up pretty well with all the misc fasteners/caulk/supplies and I agree with the trailer being a pita but it's all set up and it will suffice for a time til we decide if this is a good fit for us.

As far as what we will charge, I am still working on that but $20 an hour isn't going to cut it. We will need more like $38/hr. +materials. What issues do you run into as far as billing clients? If you need to run to the store for something is it chargeable? Just trying to think of those types of things that might become issues with clients.

Tim

Comment

how can you run a truck around for $38/ hr ...

not to mention, paying some one ..?

Comment

as vt norm says you need a van handyman do not pull up to a house to hang pictures or fix this or that with a trailer. it does not flow well.

get a van and go for it, you will keep him very busy all the time. 50 bucks an hour and up, go to hd you add the time also.

but you need to advertise also. i get a lot of jobs from doing small handy man jobs.

teach your handyman to keep his hands clean when he hangs stuff so the walls do not show dirt from hands. put down a tarp when you do work every time! even when you do a door knob repair etc. tarp.

have booties to put on shoes. I usually charge by the job except for this and that stuff. then it is by the hour and they pay whe i am done.

the problem is your worker will see thata you are charging 50 or so bucks an hour and he is making 15. soon he might be doing it himself or on the side. whatch for that.

handyman connection I think splits 60 40 (you 60)) but if done right you can make good money.
          Kreg
          www.builtinking.com
          youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
          if you do not have fun every day... why?
          get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
          remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Because I know what my overhead is. That would be my bare minimum to make things work. I would hope to charge much more but need to research that end of it more.

Whats you name and where are from clear river?

Comment

Mark Smith

Upstate New York

we figger the Service end of our business ... COST us $54/ hr, employee / burden and truck

the employee, tho is $27/hr in the paycheck

Comment

For your guy to do handyman work he needs to be well versed in all sorts of stuff as well as great at cutsomer relationships. part of the time it is listening to what they want and then asking the right questions or repeating it back so everyone is on the same page. Consider taking notes instead of just thinking he remembers which picture goes where, which towel bar goes where, etc. If you have to constantly ask the client over and over about things that does not look good.

Having just about everything in the trailer is important also. It can cost you a lot to just run to the store for stuff and you should charge for that.

I would also think about some sort of phone screeing that would help you know what is to be done at the house and then tell you some things you might need to take. Otherwise you are going to need a salesman to look at the job, do the paperwork to start a job file, get it to the handyman, have him do the job, someone do the billing. If you have all that going on you are going to need more than $38/hour.

Finally, think of how many jobs a guy can do in a day. If he is going to 2 or 3 places there is windshield time that you pay. There is set up and tear down time. Maybe consider a small discount for all day jobs or a upcharge or minimum for the first 2 hours. The minimum should be more than your regular hourly rate.

Comment

Around here there are a few franchises including Mr. Handiman, etc. They charge something like $115 for the first hour and $75/hr after that. They drive spiffy new Sprinters well stocked and have nice clean uniforms.

I don't know how well they're doing, but I would check with a franchise in your area. Talk to them about acquiring a franchise and ask to talk to their franchisees to see how well they're doing. That will give you an idea about how viable that business is in your area. You don't have to buy their franchise, but you'll get a rough idea how profitable it is.

dg

Comment

Tim - I don't really have any billing issues. Unless I have a weird feeling about the customer I rarely invoice on the spot, I typically drop a bill in the mail once I get home and factor in ALL the time and materials. I just don't want to hear about "how expensive everything is" or how the other guy was cheaper in a face-to-face invoice situation.

You have to cover the windshield time or your guy will lose 2-3 billable hours a day going from job to job. And yes, specialty material runs are billable. I cover 4 towns but all of my jobs are within a mile or two of the major road that connects them. I'll swing by an upcoming job to see what I'm in for and make a material list and buy everything I can think of ahead of time.

As for rate, I don't discuss an hourly rate with the HO, but I tell them up front that my fees are in line with other trade professionals; plumbers and electricians: $60/hr (and these guys travel in pairs so that fee is x2!), HVAC: $75/hr, etc...plus materials, plus a trip charge, plus a 2/hr min...set their expectation up front.

It's worth a shot for you, but your guy has to have the trade skills, people skills, organization skills, and keep copious notes so you don't end up giving away his time and your materials.

-Norm

Comment

Great Answer

Comment

I have been thinking about the handyman thing too, as a way to get started in a new market. It is also not a bad plan for growth. I am a control freak so its easier to expand with this type of business plan than remodeling.

A few years back I ran a contract a the Naval Academy doing "change of occupancy maintenance". We would hit the house starting at the front door. And were expected to find and repair any and all deficiencies.

Example - storm door - check the following;

screen
                        sweep
                        alignment
                        knob
                        lock
                        latch
                        opener
                        glass

I haven't even hit the front door yet. We would enter every room and check every detail like this. My point is I feel I could offer every customer a half day, or more realistically 12 to 16 hours of work. This will reduce my travel time and my marketing cost as each customer increases in value. It will also allow me to reduce my cost to the customer accordingly. If they insist they only need 1 repair, OK but they have to cover my cost.

Frankly when I finish I may try to schedule their next regular maintenance for 6 or 12 months ahead.

Hope to hear some opinions from the gallery, pro or con.

Thanks...and don't steal my idea unless I get a franchise fee.

Greg.
                        Thankful for this site and the folks that post.

Comment

norm and others,

do you line item each thing for handyman work?

like nails $1.50, tape $5, ect...

just curious since i do some handyman work for current clients.

thanks,
                          -Sal
                          -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

Sal - I give one, all-inclusive bottom line price. But I line item everything I do and everything I use. The typical customer has zero idea of what is involved in say, swapping a storm door. My invoice might read;

- Removed existing storm door.
                            - Purchased and installed new Anderson storm door per manufacturers instruction. Required trimming and adjusting door to fit existing opening.
                            - Caulked all joints and seams as required.
                            - Primed and painted any adjoining, exposed wood/trim surfaces.
                            - Checked and adjusted new door for proper swing, closure and latching.
                            - Disposed of all debris at the town transfer station, Recycled all appropriate scrap and other materials.

You get the idea. I might be on-site for an hour but there's time required to purchase the door, other material not included with the door, clean-up and disposal of crap...and it's all billable. If you don't inform the HO of what you did they think "he was only here for an hour and charged me $x!".

-Norm

Comment

Norm,

thank you that answered my question perfectly.

-Sal
                              -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

Working...
                              X