Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Whats Wrong Here ACMV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats Wrong Here ACMV

Their motto must be: "In caulk we trust"
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

See post #14 & 15 for new pics
      Mark Parlee
      BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
      EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
      EDI Seminar Instructor
      Level one thermographer (Snell)
      www.thebuildingconsultant.com
      You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Who is doing the repairs?
        When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The original builder sent his cronies out to do the repairs.
          They just don't get it. It will perform well against moisture intrusion but the exterior trims will fail over time.
          Mark Parlee
          EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
          EDI Seminar Instructor
          You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

A 2 yr old could have done a better caulking job.
            Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

That's a tough situation. The builder thinks they are fixing things, effort is being made, but they are making a mess, much of it is a temporary band-aid.

Think about the homeowner, they must be frustrated.
              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Actually the HO is a friend of my wife and "just wants to get it done" "they are embarrassed" seems like a lot of people derive their identity from their homes so if the facade is damaged and being worked on they get real uptight.
                "let's get r done" "we don't care about the small details" just so it looks good"

It is a temporary band-aid.
                Mark Parlee
                EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

For some fun (rainy) Friday reading;

https://www.courtlistener.com/dcd/eH...ed+desc&page=2
                  Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Mark
                    Thanks for that. This gives me some good language to use in my cases. I already have some good lines but this gives additional examples for me to refer to.
                    Mark Parlee
                    EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Can't believe no one has pointed out that the adhered synthetic stone & fiber cement board are not supposed to be closer than 2" to shingle surfaces.
                      The shiny flashing in one picture is of uncoated aluminum which should not be used with either of those.
                      I'm an inspector. I hope you guys doing this kind of work are getting the little details right.
                      Yeah the designer is putting a lot of water down to a small chute, but a competent installer should be able to handle it.
                      Besides previous suggestions it needs a commercial type roof water collector not part of the roof eave gutter. I don't care if the eave gutter is 6 inch the water out of that valley is flying right over it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee View Post
                        Actually the HO is a friend of my wife and "just wants to get it done" "they are embarrassed" seems like a lot of people derive their identity from their homes so if the facade is damaged and being worked on they get real uptight.
                        "let's get r done" "we don't care about the small details" just so it looks good"

It is a temporary band-aid.
                        What I'm finding too often is people want it done fast. Fast is the most important thing. Like you said, "get r done" and make it look good. We'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee View Post
                          Interstitial wall cavity at 100% MC

Rotting floor assembly in basement.
                          Yep, the rusty outlet screw alone indicates there are some issues going on.

Comment

Working...
                          X