Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

"From The Ground" Roof Slope Calculator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "From The Ground" Roof Slope Calculator

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
    Jim,

What App do you have that does pitch? I have tried a few, but can't find a good one that does pitch.
    I downloaded the Geoestimator free app on my Iphone. The "Pitch Guage" is a component of that app.

I have another free app called "Pitch Gauge". It has a much brighter interface and shows up better in the bright sunlight.

The unique thing about the Geoestimator gauge is that you look through your camera phone lens to line up the gauge on a roofline.

Comment

Address for Geoestimator app with the pitch gauge.

http://roofreports.pictometry.com/ro...rements/mobile

Comment

pole.jpgIf you want to keep it extra simple, with no ladder, what about a square pole with a bubble level on it (to make sure its vertical), and another board on the other end, attached on a firm pivot?

Push the pole up towards an eve, give it a little force to get the top piece to line up with the slope, then lower it and take a reading?

(might not look the most professional, but you could jazz it up a little. a little paint, maybe some gold stars...)
        Last edited by Lightning; 08-25-2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I bid lots of roof projects.

Flat roofs I use pictometry.

Pitched roofs I use eagleview.

Only reason I walk the roofs is to get projection counts and defect pictures for my proposal.
          My forum signature

Comment

Based on personal experience, I don't recommend a novice for a roof estimator. My roofer runs several large crews. He does all the estimating himself. He walks every roof. That's because he not only measures, he takes notes on all necessities of the job. Problems with any of the chimneys? How much rotted sheathing? Wrong or missing crickets? Flashings? Does he need a carpenter on the job? He never measures pitch. He determines how walkable it is by...walking it :)

For a simple roof, I can get the pitch from the ground with a laser. Shoot the rise and run, then simple trigonometry. I actually use that to determine the length, but it's just as simple to get the angle or pitch.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info.I will pass it along. Lightning, that's neat if you have no apps or gauge / visual reference card. Dg good points. Co. prohibits getting on the roof. Its a major installer in the country. Not HD or Lowes.

Interesting stuff.I said I would ask my friends on the forum. I appreciate it.
              Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

Steve,

I think your family member might be looking at moomlighting on you. I saw a very similar question on another contractor forum. The poster is from the same city as you.

Watch your back.

Tom
                http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Hei their) I need help. Have decided to do the project of my future house and faced many problems. So, I need to ask someone who know how to do that. I’d like to get any information about concal.org? Have anybody had experience with this site? I have heard that it’s leading site. Or maybe it’s possible to do everything without professional help or not?
                  Last edited by Helga30; 03-04-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X