Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Mitered corners with cedar siding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mitered corners with cedar siding

I think the size of the claps has something to do with nailing. When installing 8-10" claps I've tacked corners in the middle. Most of the old siding I've taken apart has been tacked, all of the nicer homes were.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

ive seen it nailed there too most of the time the nails were rotten and the ends split
      Tom

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I didn"t mean for this to go on a different tangent. This siding will be on a new house, using 2x4 frame construction and siding that is completely primed with an oil based primer. Also, the exposed sides will be prestained white in a solid oil stain. This is a method I have used before, with no problems. What I hope to acheive by using mitered corners is a certain look that may be more historic in appearance than if I used corner boards. What I have in mind is exactly like Tom Struble's pictures. My concern is movement at the joint, as well as the tannins bleeding through onto the white finish.

Comment

So Billmeister, do you feel like you got an answer here? What are you planning on doing? Or is it all done already? Maybe you'll take some pictures for us?

Ted

Comment

Round here, I see mitred, beveled cedar often especially in older homes. Also, I see they just bend a small piece of aluminum over each "mitred" piece. Actually its usually just butted and the bent alumnum corner gives the mitred look without the vertical outside corners. As far as the priming of this goes, always skipped(originally) unless its me replacing the damaged pieces cause I prime the backsides and cut or joined ends. I really like the idea of only priming the bottom third of the backside, a little breathability.
            Be safe all.

Comment

I have a Job here in DC i am going to put mitres on red cedar siding. installing as a rain screen system im not going to put caulk in the corners. im using zip board sheathing and a rain screen system, but at the corners i will put 3" vertical flashing behind all outside and inside corners. also sealing the ends of the mitre cedar after each cut.

Comment

Working...
              X