Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Decision Time- Exterior Deck Choices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision Time- Exterior Deck Choices

Hi all, I'm a carpenter/project manager working in Seattle. I've been in the trades for fifteen years, which I know makes me a newbie for some. I've found myself working on modern architecture with budgets of >1.5M which provides all sorts of challenges to keep me preoccupied. I'm a big fan of this forum but have been content sitting in the wings up until now.

Next week I begin working for a developer of new homes that are summed up as Modern, Sustainable, and Affordable (relatively). I'm helping select a type of decking that will be installed on all five homes in the development. We are looking for something harder than Western Red Cedar but less expensive than Ipe. Initial research is revealing Batu and Tigerwood as viable alternatives. I have zero experience with either and I am wondering if anyone here can share any experience or cautions as well as any other alternatives.

Thanks,
    Brent

Re: Decision Time- Exterior Deck Choices

Welcome aboard, Brent.

Here's a link to a thread I started about a deck we did using Tigerdeck...http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ght=tiger+deck

I'd use the material again in a second. It's very nice to work with & is just beautiful when a finish is applied. My only gripe is that it doesn't hold a finish very long, requiring seasonal re-coating to maintain its color.
    Greg

Comment

Re: Decision Time- Exterior Deck Choices

Hi Greg, thanks for the link, the craftmanship and decking look great. The samples of tigerwood that I've received are lacking much character but it looks like the character develops throughout the batch with the 'tiger' striping. Seems like with decking that if the customer is not in favor the weathered look then the wood needs a annual drink at the very least. I'm finding with Ipe that it needs a couple of coats with a lighter bodied oil such as teak several times a year to maintain it's color.

--Brent

Comment

Working...
      X