Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Counterflashing, gravel stop detail for connection of old roof to new

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterflashing, gravel stop detail for connection of old roof to new

I am building a new roof between two existing one story buildings with rubber roofs.
    One wall is 11-6 and the other is 12' off the ground. Each existing rubber roof is capped
    with metal flashing. I am running a ledger board on each brick wall and using them for support.

My issue is I want as high a ceiling as possible, but don't want to mess up my neighbor's roof.
    Obviously, I could terminate below each neighbor's cap flashing and leave them the ability to reroof/reflash in the future. I am wondering if I can match their height if I am willing to pay to recope/ flash the edge of their rooves. I would use tapered insulation to keep my runoff off their rooves.

Is there a good detail for this? I was thinking of pitching my ledgers towards the rear of my building and parallel to my neighbor's walls. If there were a detail that let me pitch towards one of my neighbors I would consider that also.

Thank you

Re: Counterflashing, gravel stop detail for connection of old roof to new

CD
    You got any pictures to post of this project
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    EDI Seminar Instructor
    Level one thermographer (Snell)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Here is a photo of one side. Other side is similar. How to get tight to this wall and maintain
      maximum roof/ceiling height is the key problem.
      Attached Files

Comment

Build your building higher. Get neighbor's permission and add a roofed curb to the existing buildings, Flash from your building down over their new curb

Comment

Great idea. What do we do with the existing metal coping that covers entire wall? Remove it down to the nailer to build the curb? My client owns half the wall (party wall) but was not responsible for the existing coping.

Comment

Sure. Or abandon in place and put new curb on top. You're stripping in the curb no matter what

Comment

Working...
            X