Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Finishing and maintaining Brazilian hardwood deck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing and maintaining Brazilian hardwood deck

I have done extensive online research about how to finish (preserve the color of massaranduba and protect it as much as it may need protecting from the Oklahoma weather). I cannot find any recommendations for products that are not from the manufacturer. Does anyone have a lot of experience finishing hardwood decks? What are the most realistic options for yearly maintenance? Thank you!

Re: Finishing and maintaining Brazilian hardwood deck

I prefer the penetrating oils. Get one with UV protection- Messmer, Cabott, etc., and plan on re-finishing every year. Make sure the end-cuts are treated with a wax end-cut solution to prevent checking- if it checks that area will gray out more.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Thank you. Wood was sanded before shipped. Is there any cleaning or preparation necessary before applying oil?

Comment

Well- normally not. Unless there are burnishing marks (generally, some place that looks like it's burned or highly polished) you can just install. Those are penetrating oils, so they won't create a film. I like to start off with a single coat on everything, then install decking, then a coat when finished. After that I recommend finishing once a year. If you're right on the water or on the ocean, perhaps twice a year :-)
        http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Why don’t you give it a Brazilian wax job?
            Dick Hackbarth, PE
            RWH&AI, Consulting Engineers

Comment

LOL!!! BON!!

Dick, for an engineer you are a funny guy!!

Don
              I started out with nothing. I still have most of it left.

Comment

There are some solutions or med you can use to make the lifeline of the wood much longer. It is also good if you will also apply anti-pest.
                Turner Enterprises

Comment

Working...
                X