Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Drywall finisher sq ft qoute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drywall finisher sq ft qoute

When I received a quote from New drywall finisher he quoted me $.** a sq ft. Now he is basically charging by the board ft. As in what the hangers charged. How would anyone else handle that? In my years of working sq ft price for finisher is actual sqft of wall and ceiling and by the board is sq ft of board sent out. The hangers I fully understand. Scraps and whatnot. But for the finisher to get paid for something he never even touches doesn’t seem right.

Not sure I see a whole of lot issue with it. I typically have to touch just about every square foot of wall and ceiling that is installed. And I have to do it 3 times for mud and once for sanding. That is a lot of going around the room.

Plus remember this guy is the guy who is going to make the room look good. Maybe your hangers are really good but if you look at some jobs it is obvious that the hangers were there to get in and out as fast as they could. Seams not together, too many butt seams, screws over or under driven, not enough screws, corner bead missing etc.

Comment

Not the case with my hangers seeing as though they work with this finisher a lot. My issue is the fact that wall and ceiling sqft is 6800 and material sent out was 9000. Why should the finisher get paid for 2200 sq ft he’s not finishing

Comment

Close to 33% waste on the material?
        Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Originally posted by Ridge94 View Post
          Not the case with my hangers seeing as though they work with this finisher a lot. My issue is the fact that wall and ceiling sqft is 6800 and material sent out was 9000. Why should the finisher get paid for 2200 sq ft he’s not finishing
          If you figure that you had nearly 300 sheet brought out then they used about 200 of them based on using a 4 x 8 sheet of drywall which I doubt they sent out. However you figure it I would suggest you talk to your hangers about where is all that drywall going that is not getting hung and maybe concentrate on what is going on there. Are they taking home full sheets to do side jobs, returning them to a store for credit, selling them to someone on the side. That is a ridiculous amount of waste.

Comment

Your drywall sub is not the hanging and taping crew all in one?....seems odd. If so, you're at the mercy of the taper.
            Portland Renovations, Inc.
            www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

Whether he bids off of 6800SF or 9000SF...is his price good?

Comment

I worked for a tract builder for 12 years, averaging 100 houses per year. We basically built 10-12 different models. The owner was a sharp businessman who always negotiated the lowest prices. He paid the drywallers per sq. ft. for hanging and finishing. They had to turn in their delivery tickets and they got paid for material delivered.
                I spent several years as superintendent/warranty supervisor. I don't remember why we had to open up several walls on one of the houses but I'll never forget what we found when we did. The stud bays with no electrical wires were packed solid with 14" pieces of drywall. I don't know how many other walls were the same. I do know that when I went into business building just a few houses per year I never took sq. ft. prices. I'd show the sub the plans or the house if we were that far along and say " there it is, how much to cover and finish all these specified walls with drywall ? " No disputes over how much they used.

Comment

What Able said. I don't care how much you charge per sf of anything. Here is the scope of the job. Give me a total price.

Comment

The commercial Contractor I worked for (Able) often got square foot pricing and unit pricing on brick, concrete, roofing, etc. I never understood it. I was running a church job where we paid the bricklayer by the brick. There were bricks laid in the mud so he could walk on, bricks strewn all over the job site. I asked the brick company owner if he would pick up a quarter if he dropped it . He said "of course" . I said "I see at least 100 of them in the shape of bricks, the only difference is they're not your quarters" He improved slightly.
                    On a multi family job I had to resolve a water problem in a below grade bedroom that sat on a slab with a block/foundation/retailing wall. One part of the fix involved removing a strip of the floor along the wall to install a drain pipe. The slab was specified at 4" over 4" of stone. When I started removing the slab it soon became apparent that the slab was more than 4". Everything I took out (appx. 1' x 12' ) was minimum 8" thick with no stone. My guess is a lot more of that slab was more than 4" thick. The concrete sub got paid by the ton for stone and yard for concrete. Excess concrete was much more profitable than excess stone. The blame goes to the sub for cheating and the superintendent for allowing him to do so.
                    I realize there are situations where unit pricing (sq. ft, piece, cubic yards, etc.) are unavoidable. Poor subsoil, rock and other things that has to be removed ,etc. ,and other trades where additional work has to be performed. Your best investment at that time is to be on the job to monitor. "You get what you inspect, not what you expect"

Comment

Ablesupe, I am mostly a remodeler, and I cannot tell you how many times I have found drywall pieces hidden in between studs. It's a great way for lazy people to get rid of the waste and not have to pay for dumping it either. Terrible.

Comment

FHI, welcome to the forum.
                        I don't have a problem with drywall inside stud bays. Look at it from a technical standpoint. Let's see:
                        1. Adds thermal mass to the house. Good.
                        2. Reduces sound transmission, albeit a minor amount. But not a negative.
                        3. Adds to fireproofing, again a negligible amount. But not a negative.
                        The only negative is that it may make it difficult to fish wires later, but that's a very iffy "maybe".

So I don't do this, but it doesn't prejudice the owner when it's done.

Comment

I too have seen the drywall in the stud bay cavities. I do not know if I have ever done it, other than maybe the pieces that might fall out of a corner or something when I am installing that I leave pieces in the wall.

Maybe I am just really smart or been lucky. On any job of any size that I am installing drywall for someone else, like the 45 sheet job I just thought about bidding on, one of my questions to the general contractor is "can we use your dumpster for the leftovers when we clean up at the end of the job?" The answer was that was what it was there for. I cannot imagine that cutting everything down to 14 inches stuffing the pieces into the stud bays is faster than hauling it to the dumpster and tossing it in. The smart part is I always write it in the contract that I will be using their dumpster, leaving it on site for them to take care of or hauling it away. Each way affects the price I quote sometimes by several hundred dollars. I have to dispose of it it is going to cost the GC something.

No need to do something stupid like stuffing the bays.

Comment

So if I find 14” sheets in my wall do you think I can return them to Home Depot?
                            When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
                              So if I find 14” sheets in my wall do you think I can return them to Home Depot?
                              No, he bought them from Lowe's, so take them there.

Comment

Working...
                              X