Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Finish nailer for steel studs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish nailer for steel studs?

Any of you guys have any finish nailers that are capable of shooting base into 20 gage steel studs?

I've cross pinned and glued before but I heard someone mention a gun made for this application.
    Andre T.

Re: Finish nailer for steel studs?

Google talks about Senco coming out with hardened nails specifically for nailing to steel studs some time ago........
    JoeH

There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL) -Robert A Heinlein

Comment

I've used the senco nails they make for that. They work, and come in 1 1/2'', and 1 3/4'' lengths. They are kind of hard on the driver. My drivers got chips on the end of them from shooting against the extra hard steel they are made of. I'm also not 100% convinced that they are the way to go.
      Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Comment

expensive, too , at $65+ a box

Comment

I use an ET&F model 110 gun, really works great. Will pretty much pay for itself in one job.

http://www.etf-fastening.com/TOOLS/Model110.asp

Brew

Comment

Originally posted by tsbrewers View Post
            I use an ET&F model 110 gun, really works great. Will pretty much pay for itself in one job.

Brew
            we use these guns to shot onto brick walls in commerical the nails hold great and with construction adhesive its not going any where.

Comment

Brew
              Are you able to attach moldings to metal door frames? If so I need to pick one up.
              Tool Reviews

Comment

what about a trim screw? put a couple here and there and cross nail and glue.
                the screws will hold if you do it right...at least til the glue dries :)

Comment

Originally posted by Quiglag View Post
                  Are you able to attach moldings to metal door frames? If so I need to pick one up.

Absolutely, I trimmed 200+ steel jambs, both sides, this spring in a retirement home and it worked great.

Originally posted by dbritt View Post
                  what about a trim screw? put a couple here and there and cross nail and glue.
                  the screws will hold if you do it right...at least til the glue dries :)
                  Why? you can have an entire piece of casing done with this gun before you could have one trim screw in, plus the hole is half the size. Honestly this gun will shoot, and hold, to door frames and steel studs just as if they were wood with regular guns. If you do commercial on even a semi-regular basis, you owe it to yourselves to give it try.

Wow, that sounds like a commercial. :)

Brew
                  Last edited by tsbrewers; 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Brew
                    Where did you get it? A local supplier or online?

I've contacted the company and they gave me the phone number to a regional rep and I am waiting for him to call me back.

I would rather pick it up locally than online.
                    Andre T.

Comment

I picked mine up locally. If I recall correctly they had to order it too, but they do usually keep the nails in stock. At least they used to, I haven't picked up any lately.

Brew

Comment

Are the ET&F fasteners readily available?

Comment

They seem to be online. I would maybe contact them and see if they have a distributor in your area too, maybe you can pick them up locally. You should be able to buy a couple boxes of nails on line and have them last you quite a while since it is a specialty type of gun. If you do a ton of commercial I have seen a few places on line that will give you a gun with a couple cases of nails. (Probably $3000 worth of nails to get a free gun though)

Brew

Comment

Working...
                          X