Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Any one hear about a new Porter Cable Track Saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one hear about a new Porter Cable Track Saw?

Hi,
    I was just reading the Sept./Oct 2007 issue of Tools of the Trade mag and on page 14, upper left corner under "TOOLSworthy" they metioned that Porter Cable and Delta show cased a European style rail guided plunge cutting circular saw. Anyone hear any info on this tool? I was looking at buying the Festool, but I may wait to see what this tool has to offer. If you have any info, please pass it along. The tool was shown at the WWFS Show in Las Vagas in July, so I would have expected to see info by now.
    Thanks
    Richard

Re: Any one hear about a new Porter Cable Track Saw?

I found this makita one:
    http://www.makita.co.jp/global/produ...00/sp6000.html

but didn't see any info about a PC/Delta one. i just may hold off buying my festool saw for another few months

-Sal
    -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

The Makita has been available over here for about 2 months now, They even sell it in a systainer. It's only slightly cheaper than a ts 55, but I haven't looked at it close enough to know what kind of blade comes with it. It does have the parallel guide as standard accesory, which is optional with the festool (I still haven't gotten one yet, and I have my ts55 for 3 years now, and the atf a few years longer).
      Although the guiderails look similar, they are not compatible with the festool system, and makita only sells one length (the 1400mm).

Comment

I have never seen the Makita before.
        I hope there is a tool test soon on the Porter Cable in Tools of the Trade.
        I thought DeWalt bought Porter Cable a few years ago. Does ayone else recall this? If that is the case I wonder why they are coming out with a new saw under PC rather than DeWalt.

Comment

Originally posted by clydewater View Post
          I have never seen the Makita before.
          I hope there is a tool test soon on the Porter Cable in Tools of the Trade.
          I thought DeWalt bought Porter Cable a few years ago. Does ayone else recall this? If that is the case I wonder why they are coming out with a new saw under PC rather than DeWalt.
          Probably the same reason they still make routers under the PC name: Porter Cable & Delta are both largely sold as shop tools, DeWalt as jobsite tools. I'd assume the saw is going to be marketed more to the shop crowd that still is quite suspicious of DeWalt.
          http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I have not heard of the Porter Cable Track saw but I have the Festool and would not trade it for any other system. I have had it for 3 years with no problems and it is invalueable in my work as a cabinet builder installer. I talked with the guys at Western Tool about the Makita and all the components are sold seperately they don't have a package deal. So it is more exspencive than the Festool. The Festool also comes with a 3 year warranty, where as the Makita only has a one year warranty. I own several of the Festool brand tools and I reccomend them highly. Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis May View Post
              I have not heard of the Porter Cable Track saw but I have the Festool blahblahblah and would not trade it for blahblahblahblah...Festool also comes with a 3 year blahblahblah... I own several of the Festool brand blahblah and I recommend blahblahblah
              Praise the Lord and pass the kool-aid! FINALLY, someone w/ a positive review about Festering tools.

Thank you Dennis, your first post here and I'm already looking forward to many others...

Why oh why is it that EVERY thread about any kind of saw/tool/table/cancer cure has to end up as an infomercial for green kool-aid?

Sorry, first cup out of the pot this morning was damn strong.
              Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot; 11-17-2008, 07:03 AM.
              "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by whiskytangofoxtrot View Post
                Sorry, first cup out of the pot this morning was damn strong.
                Paul, you beat me too it... although i just started my first cup... had the shakes couldn't type until i got some coffee in me ;-)

and might i say that i have a festool saw and wouldn't trade it either ;-) well maybe for the larger version ;-) honestly its the only thing they make that is truly worth it for ME - don't jump down my throat.

hey dennis don't feel bad we have heard everything positive about festool and for some of us there is just not a need to have to hear it in EVERY thread.

oh and to add to the OP the dewalt version may have been the one that dewalt/delta/PC was promoting. now that PC is going down the tubes they probably will not come out with one under that brand - at least not one worth a professional to buy.
                -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

Anyone thinking about buying Porter cable should remember or track down the post here about black and decker making PC their DIY line of tools, like a ryobi. I won't say never, but I highly doubt I would buy anything pc again. check out this set, yeah it ni cad but still you can't get 3 tools, 2 batteries and the light to be that cheap unless you are cutting corners and making something in the like of Ryobi. Even other ni cad sets from dewalt, etc. are much more than that.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...C-2&lpage=none

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
                    Anyone thinking about buying Porter cable should remember or track down the post here about black and decker making PC their DIY line of tools, like a ryobi. I won't say never, but I highly doubt I would buy anything pc again. check out this set, yeah it ni cad but still you can't get 3 tools, 2 batteries and the light to be that cheap unless you are cutting corners and making something in the like of Ryobi. Even other ni cad sets from dewalt, etc. are much more than that.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...C-2&lpage=none
                    http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43975
                    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by S. Donato View Post
                      Paul, you beat me too it... although i just started my first cup... had the shakes couldn't type until i got some coffee in me ;-)

and might i say that i have a festool saw and wouldn't trade it either ;-) well maybe for the larger version ;-) honestly its the only thing they make that is truly worth it for ME - don't jump down my throat.

hey dennis don't feel bad we have heard everything positive about festool and for some of us there is just not a need to have to hear it in EVERY thread.

oh and to add to the OP the dewalt version may have been the one that dewalt/delta/PC was promoting. now that PC is going down the tubes they probably will not come out with one under that brand - at least not one worth a professional to buy.
                      PC has gone down the tubes because of dewalt. Buying PC and turning the tools into garbage was the only way they can eliminate the competition.
                      Scott

Comment

Remember that PC is now positioned between Black and Decker and Dewalt, with Dewalt being the high-end of their tool line. That's the company positioning, not mine. ("Dewalt" and "high-end" seems like an oxymoron.)

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I have a Dewalt DW735 planer which I'm happy with and a Dewalt D22000 tile saw that works well after some serious alignment work. Some of their products are pretty decent, but I don't consider them high-end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Clark View Post
                          Remember that PC is now positioned between Black and Decker and Dewalt, with Dewalt being the high-end of their tool line. That's the company positioning, not mine. ("Dewalt" and "high-end" seems like an oxymoron.)

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I have a Dewalt DW735 planer which I'm happy with and a Dewalt D22000 tile saw that works well after some serious alignment work. Some of their products are pretty decent, but I don't consider them high-end.
                          Dewalt makes the right tools at the right price.
                          They make few "high end" tools like any other manufacturer.

If you believe that only the high priced tools are "high end" you must be a marketer for them or a big sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by ycf dino View Post
                            Dewalt makes the right tools at the right price.
                            They make few "high end" tools like any other manufacturer.

If you believe that only the high priced tools are "high end" you must be a marketer for them or a big sucker.
                            Many tools Dewalt makes can be had for the same price and better quality by another manufacturer. Dewalt is a marketing company and they sell their tools that way. I think there are better options for your money than Dewalt from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckwoodchuck View Post
                              Many tools Dewalt makes can be had for the same price and better quality by another manufacturer. Dewalt is a marketing company and they sell their tools that way. I think there are better options for your money than Dewalt from my experience.
                              Same can be said for all manufactures.
                              They all have few winners and some not so great tools.

Dewalt is a great company and if you visit the Dewalt Headquartes you will meet many smart tool designers and engineers.

Comment

Working...
                              X