Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

TimberSIL failing in New Orleans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TimberSIL failing in New Orleans

As Bill will surely attest, the wet New Orleans climate is probably a very tough test for exterior wood.
    Apparently TimberSIL is not holding up:
    http://www.ecobuildingpulse.com/gree...-go-bad_o.aspx

Anyone have any experience with this material?

How about thermally treated lumber...is that working out in real life?
    Doug

Favorite tool this week: Makita double-battery "worm drive" framing saw
    http://www.jlconline.com/author/doug-horgan

www.bowa.com

Re: TimberSIL failing in New Orleans

I saw that and wonder what is next for the wood to be used there.

The thermally treated wood is just making it's way into St Louis. I have seen several samples of it at the yards but have never asked who is using it yet.

Comment

They are using YellaWood now.

And I am pretty sure this is the tip of the iceberg on the Make it Right project.

And while the product in question may be part of the problem it runs much deeper.
      [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Bill,
        care to expand a little more on the iceberg...

I seem to recall you mentioning the MIR project as part of what got you interested in staying and teaching in NOLA.

I recall when it was happening and thinking it is pretty neat that he is committed to helping and at the same time thinking they have some pretty far out ideas and I hope they work. Has it been 10 years already? I am thinking more like 8 but at the moment I cannot recall when Katrina happened.

Comment

the first 6 mir homes were built in 08.

at that time i offered my help in setting best praactices.

they did not accept, and in fact after some discussion they decided to announce I was tresspassing and breaking into houses at nite.

while their designs are iterestig at best the basics were unknown and un practiced by the construction managers and contractors.

I could care less about brad pitt and the dandy construction managers at mir, it is the unsuspecting homeowners who are getting the shaft.

I have plenty of pictures of the first 6 going up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Robinson View Post
            the first 6 mir homes were built in 08.

at that time i offered my help in setting best praactices.

they did not accept, and in fact after some discussion they decided to announce I was tresspassing and breaking into houses at nite.

while their designs are iterestig at best the basics were unknown and un practiced by the construction managers and contractors.

I could care less about brad pitt and the dandy construction managers at mir, it is the unsuspecting homeowners who are getting the shaft.

I have plenty of pictures of the first 6 going up.
            Hoo boy, this could get interesting.

I bet Rupert would pay a decent amount for those pics.
            “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Pics are for demonstration purposes only.
              I am not out to get them but only to point out they don't know what they are doing when it comes to building.

Comment

I haven't been able to find much info on what the timbersil problems are - you know anything MBR?

Comment

Have not looked into it Dan.

Not familiar with the product and MIR is not saying.

Just realized MIR and MBR are eerily similar.

Hope that is not a harbinger of things to come.

I will put on my list a query to the local lumberyards to see if that have any experience with the product.

Comment

Dang! I was just about to try this for some raised vegetable beds. Is there any non-toxic alternative that lasts longer than cedar in ground contact? This is practically a buried application.

Comment

Originally posted by charles View Post
                      Dang! I was just about to try this for some raised vegetable beds. Is there any non-toxic alternative that lasts longer than cedar in ground contact? This is practically a buried application.
                      You could always learn the dark arts of masonry; can't ask for a better place to practice.
                      Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

I really wouldn't mind bolting together some precast planks if such were available. But I have no intention of working with mortar.

Comment

Originally posted by charles View Post
                          I really wouldn't mind bolting together some precast planks if such were available. But I have no intention of working with mortar.
                          You'll never get your third eye with that attitude! That said, you could do it with cast concrete plain, un-mortared stone or brick. All hold up better to the elements and are non-toxic.
                          Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Find you some old telephone poles or railroad ties to build it out of if you want a 3rd eye.

Comment

Black Locust lasts longer than cedar, untreated.
                              Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Working...
                              X