Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Techniques to move heavy appliances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techniques to move heavy appliances

Besides a crew of helpers or an installation company:

has anyone found any good ideas to move around a 48" GE Monogram 600 lb. stove....on the jobsite? On finished surfaces????? .....ok, that's not true.....On covered / protected finished surfaces????

Has anyone here ever used an air sled?

http://www.airsled.com/appliance.htm
    Chuck

Re: Techniques to move heavy appliances

Chuck,
    Would perhaps a piece of plywood with pieces of wooden closet rod underneath to roll it on work?

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Chuck,

A friend of mine worked as an installer for an appliance shop and used the sleds all the time on huge Wolf ranges and Sub-Zero fridges. They work great. You could probably rent one someplace. Your making my back hurt again just talking about moving those big suckers. ;)
      Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
      This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

I bought a pallet jack , you can roll them around that way easily, and then drop them into place, I'm sure you can rent them.
        Last edited by Dick Seibert; 04-11-2007, 10:39 PM.
        "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Lord, I thought I was getting a really bad case of dejavu... but it's there.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=31245
          Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Good catch frenchtoast, oh, sorry frenchie, that was that other thread. ;)
            Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
            This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

The Roberts is awesome but I don't know if it would do 600 lbs.

Comment

Piano movers use "piano dollies" which are tricorner "traps" w/ casters, I'm not sure where to find a link, I've had the set of 4 that I use for over twenty years, lol.

I would imagine a heavy-duty set of 4 would run you at least $60.00.

I'll try to search a link because they're life/back savers :)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot; 04-12-2007, 06:47 AM.
                "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

This is why I always have my appliances set in place and installed whenever possible. Then they are responsible for moving them and any damage that might be caused.

Comment

I was going to mention the sleds too. Any wheeled apparatus is subject to picking up trash and then marking the floor. You would be surprised how easily a screw head can be pressed right through masonite (hardboard) and into the flooring underneath by a wheel.
                    Brad

You will never stand taller than when kneeling to help a child.

Comment

Move it on soap. Tempered masonite that have been rubbed with 2-3 bars of soap. Cut the masonite to whatever width you need. Then make what is referred to as "slippers". Masonite again with soap and a cleat tacked to the non soap side. One piece of masonite goes on the floor, soap side up. The "slippers" go soap side down on top of the first piece of masonite. Then your appliance sits on top of that. Soap on soap has a very low coefficient of friction. My father ran a rigging and millwright company for 40 years. Riggers move objects weighing thousands of pounds using this technique. Trust me, I've seen it done and have done it myself. No chance of the piece falling over and great when you have issues with height clearances.

Comment

I like the soap technique, but how do you get a 600lb object lifted onto the pieces of masonite--especially in the back where you can't reach? Same for getting the object off the masonite.
                        Your source for:
                        Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
                        Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
                        Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
                        Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Chuck - I have the Roberts sled it will easily move that stove. I have moved Wolf, Viking, GE 48's no problem. I have moved them over quarry tile, finished hardwood etc. You will be surprised when you turn the blower on that the range sort of pops up and away you go. If there are long legs just put sleds under and block up to the frame, if low style just slide in next to feet. That range probably has 100lbs just in grates and drip pans alone.

Comment

I got the Roberts on Bobkni's advice from that thread Frenchie linked to - it paid for itself the first time I used it. If he says it will lift the stove, I'd get it immediately - you won't regret it, especially since you (Chuck) do all interior work - it's also one of those tools with great PR value - the clients will be very impressed when you move their fridge out of the room with it.

We seem to be doing fewer kitchen remodels - the only thing I'll miss about it is that we won't be using the sled as much. Wish I were closer - I'd lend you mine.

Comment

Dan

Where did you get yours and how much

Would you buy the same thing or something different?

Can you provide a link
                              Mark Parlee
                              BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                              EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                              EDI Seminar Instructor
                              Level one thermographer (Snell)
                              www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                              You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Working...
                              X