Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Hole filling in Azek...anything easier than Bond n Fill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole filling in Azek...anything easier than Bond n Fill?

I've done some exterior work with Azek and have used the recommended Bond n Fill before.It's a PIA,expensive and takes 3 applications to make a screw hole disappear.You have to work fast with the stuff and it's difficult to sand. Ok.I'll stop.

I'm sure it's long lasting ,durable and bulletproof.

Any suggestions for a hole filler that has good adhesion but is easy to work with?
    Big B.

Re: Hole filling in Azek...anything easier than Bond n Fill?

Fastenmaster Cortex for Azek Trim.

Game. Set. Match.
    Your source for:
    Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
    Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
    Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
    Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Greg,I was referring to Azek trim boards and mouldings.(to be painted)

Those fasteners look pretty cool. Do the plugs stay put...on decking?
      Big B.

Comment

I think Greg is refering to the trim boards.

Anyways, I used to use the Bond and fill also. You're right about the PITA.

Now I use a product called Ready Patch. It's an exterior filler, like spackle, that dries fast (about 1/2 hour), sands easy (I use an orbital sander) and with two coats you cannot find the nail hole.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductId=37

I got mine at the paint store, but I think HD or blowes carries it as well. You owe it to yourself to at least try it.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob scott View Post
          I think Greg is refering to the trim boards.

Anyways, I used to use the Bond and fill also. You're right about the PITA.

Now I use a product called Ready Patch. It's an exterior filler, like spackle, that dries fast (about 1/2 hour), sands easy (I use an orbital sander) and with two coats you cannot find the nail hole.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductId=37

I got mine at the paint store, but I think HD or blowes carries it as well. You owe it to yourself to at least try it.

Bob

Oh btw, the link shows a gallon can. They do have smaller cans. The one I have is around a half pint or so. it goes a long way.

Bob

Comment

You can pick it up in quart sizes at HD around here.

I've also been using it for about a year now with little problems.
            My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by BGeezus View Post
              Greg,I was referring to Azek trim boards and mouldings.(to be painted)

Those fasteners look pretty cool. Do the plugs stay put...on decking?
              Nope...They came out with it for the Trim Boards. Believe me, don't even bother with anything else. I've tried it. Others have tried it. It's 100% foolproof and a million times faster.
              Your source for:
              Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di View Post
                Nope...They came out with it for the Trim Boards. Believe me, don't even bother with anything else. I've tried it. Others have tried it. It's 100% foolproof and a million times faster.

Greg,I was over at the Fatenmaster site http://www.fastenmaster.com/products.aspx

Are you referring to a colored trim screw,or the screw/plug system?

I'm to be fastening flat boards as well as Azek crown and site-routed mouldings.I usually attach with a 15ga stainless nail and use a stainless trim screw in some critical areas and areas I need to pull tight.

With the BondnFill you can sometimes get lucky and fill a finish nail hole in one shot if you over fill it,but finish screws...forget it.3 applications,no question.

This stuff is to be painted and has to have no signs of fasteners.

But that deck plug system looks really sweet.Ever use it?
                Big B.

Comment

This stuff is much more user friendly than bond n fill (one part, convienient size tube) but it does shrink when it dries.

http://www.omegatekbp.com/vinlbond.html

- Rich

Comment

Well,from my experience the Bondnfill shrinks just enough to leave a little divot...no matter what they claim.It leads to another application.
                    Big B.

Comment

But that deck plug system looks really sweet.Ever use it?
                      I (and some other JLCers) demo'd it in Providence. When I tell you you cannot see the plugs from one foot away, I lied. It's more like six inches.

It obviously wouldn't work on anything but flat stock unless you can get the screw and plug in on a flat spot on the profile.
                      Your source for:

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di View Post
                        I (and some other JLCers) demo'd it in Providence. When I tell you you cannot see the plugs from one foot away, I lied. It's more like six inches.

It obviously wouldn't work on anything but flat stock unless you can get the screw and plug in on a flat spot on the profile.
                        Greg,do you simply bang the plug in till it's flush?
                        Big B.

Comment

I 2nd the Cortex system. I was amazed at how well the plugs blended in with the board. Screw it, plug it....paint it if you want. No messy fillers, no sanding or any other extra steps. It's a slick system from the guys at FastenMaster. I'd use it on my house.
                          http://www.putfile.com/jeffaah/images/107329

Comment

Greg,do you simply bang the plug in till it's flush?

Yes...but "flush" is easier then it sounds. The drive bit is designed to release from the screw head at the correct depth and it makes the counter bore for the plugs.
                            http://www.putfile.com/jeffaah/images/107329

Comment

Greg,
                              Are the plugs available in Azek white? Looks like an awesome solution! Does it REALLY work that good?
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X