Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Deck post technique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck post technique

Around here 2 methods are pretty equally seen:
    1. Stick the post in the hole (in the ground), fill the hole with concrete, or
    2. Fill the hole with concrete (sonotubes), then anchor the post to top of concrete with hardware.

The posts are then often used as rail posts by wrapping. I'm curious if anyone has enough experience with both methods to say which is less susceptible to post twist/warp. I know there are other pros/cons, but post twist/warp seems to be creeping up to major status lately with the quality of PT wood.

We're talking low decks, 2-3 ft off the ground.

Re: Deck post technique

A 5' post will have less total twist than the same as a 10', more or less.
    Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Originally posted by dgbldr View Post
      Around here 2 methods are pretty equally seen:
      1. Stick the post in the hole (in the ground), fill the hole with concrete, or
      2. Fill the hole with concrete (sonotubes), then anchor the post to top of concrete with hardware.

The posts are then often used as rail posts by wrapping. I'm curious if anyone has enough experience with both methods to say which is less susceptible to post twist/warp. I know there are other pros/cons, but post twist/warp seems to be creeping up to major status lately with the quality of PT wood.

We're talking low decks, 2-3 ft off the ground.
      How you anchor it makes no difference. Either way, it's a crapshoot. The best defense is a good, clear contract with language in it that explains the unpredictability of wood and how you are not responsible for what it does.

Wood's unpredictability is the main reason I am no longer framing with PT wood and have switched to steel.
      Your source for:
      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di View Post
        Wood's unpredictability is the main reason I am no longer framing with PT wood and have switched to steel.
        Are we talking that Trex type of steel? What do you use for posts?

Comment

They say if you treat the ends of the field cuts before the end grains see water or dry out you will limit the twisting.

Some people like to sink a post in a hole on 12" pad below grade then back fill it with stone which provides better vertical stability. Then there are people like me that dont like burying a post because I think it cant be good even though its treated so I add tons of un necessary concrete to a hole then anchor it on top. ;)

I do my railing posts at the framing stage so I coat the top with copper then run a 2x4 across them to temporarily keep them in line and hold them from twisting out of whack before the railings and sleeves do the job.
          Tom

Comment

I like to use the Redi-Footings. I don't bury the wood posts.

Tom
            http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

On a deck that is 2 or 3 feet off the ground, I always liked to bury the post. You have to dig 42" anyways and I'd just drop a few inches of gravel and then a 10' post. I'd use the exterior rim joist to lock the post at the mid point and when everything was done, it was all rock solid. I never experienced any trouble with twisting but I haven't seen what your stock looks like for a few years.

If the stock is that bad, you probably should think about changing the style of the posts by wrapping each post with a 1x veneer and let the post float in space in the hollow created by the veneer.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbnwi View Post
                I like to use the Redi-Footings. I don't bury the wood posts.

Tom
                Yes but what about the rail posts?

I'm thinking along Jim's lines. If you bury the post in concrete, that holds one end fixed real well. If you then bolt it to the deck structure (girder or rim, depending on design), you've restrained it positively at 2 points. Would that not resist most of the twisting stresses in the post?

Comment

The Redi-Footing is just an extension of post. The post is captured in the yoke then bolted.

If you are bolting the posts to the rim, do wait until the frame work is done and then fill the holes with concrete? Trying to get the post that perfect has always been an issue.

I hold my beams back from the rim. My rail posts are captured In pockets for strength. I have had a few posts twist, not many in the schema of things.

Tom
                  http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbnwi View Post

If you are bolting the posts to the rim, do wait until the frame work is done and then fill the holes with concrete? Trying to get the post that perfect has always been an issue.

Tom
                    I never waited till the framework was done. I set my corners, then run my rims. I temp braced the rims (to keep them straight) and used them as the baseline. I then dropped the posts in the hole, fastened to the rim, plumb and fill.

My system involves working the posts and rim and holes simultaneously as opposed to setting all the posts, then installing the rim.

I do agree with temp bracing the tops if the rail won't be installed quickly. I was always able to get the rail started within a very short time frame, so that extra step wasn't required.

Comment

Are we talking that Trex type of steel? What do you use for posts?
                      Not the Trex system.

Light gauge steel C-Joists.
                      Your source for:
                      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor

Comment

The wood's gonna do what it's gonna do, then it will stop. At least that's my belief. So several years ago I started getting treated lumber on-site several weeks before it was to be used. Mainly, stair stringer material at first, but then I expanded to include any items that would give me problems if after they dried out, their size would change too much (or twist, etc.)

So I'll stack up the lumber and separate the individual pieces with rips of whatever is lying around. 3/4 ply gets ripped 3/4" wide, then cut into short pieces. 2x4's can get run through a table saw to make 3/4 x 3/4 square rips. Then I place 3 pieces between each board, one in the middle, and one a few feet from each end. Cover the lumber and let it sit for a while.

Tom
                        1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
                        2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
                        3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
                        4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Originally posted by TSJHD1 View Post
                          The wood's gonna do what it's gonna do, then it will stop. At least that's my belief. So several years ago I started getting treated lumber on-site several weeks before it was to be used. Mainly, stair stringer material at first, but then I expanded to include any items that would give me problems if after they dried out, their size would change too much (or twist, etc.)

So I'll stack up the lumber and separate the individual pieces with rips of whatever is lying around. 3/4 ply gets ripped 3/4" wide, then cut into short pieces. 2x4's can get run through a table saw to make 3/4 x 3/4 square rips. Then I place 3 pieces between each board, one in the middle, and one a few feet from each end. Cover the lumber and let it sit for a while.

Tom
                          Wow...that's a lot of effort. I could not imagine "babysitting" material like that for a deck...any deck...heck, any project.
                          Your source for:

Comment

Yes but what about the rail posts?

I'm thinking along Jim's lines. If you bury the post in concrete, that holds one end fixed real well. If you then bolt it to the deck structure (girder or rim, depending on design), you've restrained it positively at 2 points. Would that not resist most of the twisting stresses in the post?
                            Not really, especially with PT- depending on the PT, I suppose. It's rare that a post can be restrained at the top well enough to prevent twisting, and even if it is, there's a good chance the post will check or split all the way through.

I do something like Tom mentioned; get it early and let it sit. I also like to cut to rough size first. For a small deck that's difficult. If it's a larger project, then there's space and time, and it's not really that bad.

As much as anything this is one of those places where design comes into play. I really try to do over-the-post railings, especially with exposed PT posts. That way the post can twist and it won't be as noticeable as a post that has the railing butting to it, that now has big wedges where the post has twisted. I find that they don't move all that much, especially if you select them carefully, but a 1/2" twist will look bad if there is some place to see it.
                            http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer...

If God forbid, someone still wants to install a PT deck, you absolutely need to tell them, in writing, what is going to happen and that it's completely beyond your control.

You can go through all these motions and still get insane movement despite your best efforts. If someone is only paying for the drivel of a PT deck, you shouldn't have to put any time into culling, precutting and staging wood on site. Use better material, save all the labor and sell it that way. #2 WRC is not that much more and is a million times better (but still not great but it gives you a fighting chance).
                              Your source for:

Comment

Working...
                              X