Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

new job trailer shelf ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new job trailer shelf ideas

Hello,

I just picked up an 7x16' enclosed trailer to put carpentry stuff in and haul it to jobsites. I was wodering if anyone had any clever ideas on shelving or inside layout. Will probably be putting portable table saw, miter saw, sawhorses, air compressor, ect. in trailer. I was thinking of just building racks on one side out of 2x4's but that doesn't seem very original. Trailer has side door and rear barn doors, any suggestions or pics would be very apperciated. Thanks

Re: new job trailer shelf ideas

There have been several threads with trailer pics. Search?
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Comment

There used to be several sections of pictures that were separated by subject and I can't find them on here anymore. Maybe someone will chime in with where they went.
      Brad

You will never stand taller than when kneeling to help a child.

Comment

I designed the layout of my 5x12 in Sketchup. Here's a picture of that. I'll take a pic of the inside later...
        Attached Files
        -----------------------------
        Dustin Wyatt

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Comment

My trailer is a tiny one, 6x4 enclosed. I generally work alone, so I don't have a lot of tools to drag around, but it is filling up quickly. One of these weekends the frame is getting gutted and the enclosure rebuilt with storage access from the outside.

Comment

As promised, some pics of my trailer interior. As you can see compared to my above sketchup drawing, I changed a couple things...

http://picasaweb.google.com/dustin.w...eat=directlink

I try to do a good job of putting things back where they go, but this it's been several months since I organized. The metal shelving units are just some cheap stuff from Lowe's.
            Dustin Wyatt

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Comment

thanks for the replys. I will try searching previous threads. Thanks for pics dmwyatt that setup looks really good

Comment

You might want to go with your plan of basic shelves at first until you have used the trailer for a while. Then revise your design based on your likes and dislikes. I think I'm on my second or third revision.

- Rich

Comment

If you go to the photo gallery in the Finish Carpentry forum theres a hoop of people who have posted their setups over there over the years. I know mine is still there.
                  I agree that revision is a good thing. I'm on trailer #3 as of last week and still setting it up the way I like. But as of tonight, I got power! Thats a wonderful thing.
                  Real trucks run on compression

Comment

these arnt trailer photos

they are for a (panel) van

so you can accuratly guage the size of an english ford transit van

this is what can be done

i can lay full 8 sheets of 8x4 (3/4) ply on the bed

and the festool boxes have a plan base area of 300x400 (shy of 1 foot by 16 inches)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...an/Vanleft.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...n/Vanright.jpg
                    Limey Carpenter

Comment

Here's a couple pics of my setup. Still trying to get it right but I don't think it will ever happen. Definatly do a search, I got most of my ideas from this website.

Joe
                      Attached Files

Comment

here's a couple more
                        Attached Files

Comment

and the last two
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Bainbridge View Post
                            these arnt trailer photos

they are for a (panel) van

so you can accuratly guage the size of an english ford transit van

this is what can be done

i can lay full 8 sheets of 8x4 (3/4) ply on the bed

and the festool boxes have a plan base area of 300x400 (shy of 1 foot by 16 inches)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...an/Vanleft.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...n/Vanright.jpg

tom, I see that you make your own mdf replacements for your mft table. either that or you have some holes missing!! lol
                            Kreg
                            www.builtinking.com
                            youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
                            if you do not have fun every day... why?
                            get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
                            remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

great shots ,It looks like Toms festool rack is set-up to change for different size crates .Question - how do you keep the crates in .
                              Joe -i saw drawers in your trailer -how do you latch them closed ?
                              i am constantly having to stop on along the road to latch drawers and shelves that i forget to close the various latches on.

Comment

Working...
                              X