Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Nail Gun Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail Gun Oil

What do you keep your nail gun oil in ? Those cute little bottles that come with the guns leak over time because the top doesn't seal. They are OK in size to keep one in each gun case and since only a few drops, size is not an issue. Don't want to have one large one "in the truck" cause I'd probably "forget " to use it.
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Re: Nail Gun Oil

Yes, this is somewhat of a problem. I've looked far and wide for an oil bottle that doesn't leak. Shouldn't be this hard.

What I do now is keep a mid-sized bottle with the toolbox that holds all the gun nails. Grab the gun, load it up, oil it, and you're off to the races.

The little black Marvel bottles are not too bad, but they're still not super tight. I forget what brand I'm using now - it's white with a black/yellow label. Don't like the flat Senco bottles except for framing or roofing.
    Last edited by littlebluetruck; 03-10-2007, 02:51 PM.
    www.telianconstruction.com
    Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship. - Zeuxis, 400 B.C.

Comment

I pack the senco 1/2 pt. bottle. It has a good closer and can be used in all guns.

Comment

The large bottles are the kiss of death--eventually they leak or split or fall over and then you have an oil spill. I have the same baby Senco bottle as Mark and I keep it in one of my framing nail totes, which happens to keep it standing up nicely even when traveling in the truck. An alternative would be to keep it in a large zip-loc bag.
        Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
        Website - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Mark G View Post
          I pack the senco 1/2 pt. bottle. It has a good closer and can be used in all guns.
          Same here. Wedge it upright in a small box with various cabinet touch-up kits. Sucker still bleeds oil from the spout when I'm not looking...
          Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

I use WD40,never had a problem and seems to help clean the inside of the guns..
            Allen Colburn
            Pascoag RI
            Residential Drafter/Framer

Comment

Allen42ACJ, you use WD40 in your nail guns? I suppose you replace all your 0-rings what, every month or so?

WD40 is a petroleum-based product and should never be used in a nail gun because it deteriorates the seals.
              "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

No kidding, WTF! Main ingredients of WD40, from the material safety sheet are:

50% Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
                25% Liquified petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
                15+% Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
                10-% Inert ingredients

It is absolutely not recommended for nail guns.
                Last edited by Overbuilders; 03-10-2007, 11:34 AM. Reason: I biffed...
                Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

It might not be recommended,but they seem to work better using that than regular oil..
                  Just saying what I use..
                  Allen Colburn
                  Pascoag RI

Comment

It is my understanding WD -40 (so named as it is the 40th attempt at a Water Dispersing formula) is similar to light grade kerosene. It's flammable, just spray it at a lit match and you have a mini flamethrower.
                    SteveC
                    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

I'm not putting that much in at a time.Oil will burn to.It is the aerosol that will burn more and that evaporates if not in a sealed container..
                      With all the moisture compressors take in,water displacement is a good thing..
                      Sorry I mentioned it now..
                      Allen Colburn
                      Pascoag RI

Comment

Every bottle have had has leaked. I won't use it for a week and when I go look for it's leaked everywhere. I got a tall bottle of paslode oil right now that seems pretty good.
                        My forum signature

Comment

i use those little ones that come with the guns and put the bottle in a ziploc double zipper snack bag. still leaks but atleast my cases aren't full of oil.

:O)

Happy nailing....... . . . . . . .. . . .
                          -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

Allen42ACJ, WD40 will work for a while but you're shortening the time between rebuilds.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen42ACJ View Post
                              I'm not putting that much in at a time.Oil will burn to.It is the aerosol that will burn more and that evaporates if not in a sealed container..
                              With all the moisture compressors take in,water displacement is a good thing..
                              Sorry I mentioned it now..
                              Why would you be sorry you mentioned this? You learned something, right?

The only gun that gets oil is the framer all the other ones don't except one other which we won't discuss here. Have a nice day, evening,ooops!
                              If you can't build it correctly don't build it at all!

Some completed furniture and cabinets:
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Current project, building my home:
                              http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/amkeer/

Comment

Working...
                              X